Top coat

Hydrated lime is in the mix with cement to make the mix more workable.
Hydraulic lime is breathable - this doesn't get mixed with cement.

Yep I know the difference mate thanks...there would be no point using lime mix on this unless going back to brick...any damp is tanked...rendered in

I've already told them the only way I can guarantee this work with not knowing what has been done before is to membrane the lot but they don't want to go to that extent...

I would just use either 6 sand & 1 cement (6:1)
Or, 5 sand & 1 cement & 1 lime (5:1:1)
That gives you a 6:1 mix

If you want a 5:1 mix then just ruduce the above mix proportion by one less sand.

Good luck

I would just use either 6 sand & 1 cement (6:1)
Or, 5 sand & 1 cement & 1 lime (5:1:1)
That gives you a 6:1 mix

If you want a 5:1 mix then just ruduce the above mix proportion by one less sand.

Good luck

I got to be honest I never realised that hydrated lime weakened the mix...so you are saying mix designation 6.1.1 for weber OCR is in fact a 7:1 mix interesting way of looking at it

If you say adding cement to lime mix "dilutes " the mix , I will agree, but the other way around.....

I would say that rendagrip was a waste of time
Sbr the substrate then 6/1 mix.
I personally would use lime.even just 1 shovel.as for it weakening the mix I'd disagree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would say that rendagrip was a waste of time
Sbr the substrate then 6/1 mix.
I personally would use lime.even just 1 shovel.as for it weakening the mix I'd disagree.

I agree I think the Rendagrip was a bit of a waste of time, usually I prime with SBR. I'll go for a 5.1.1 as never had issues, but agree 6.1.1 would be fine to.

As for weakening the mix I have no idea....so basically Lastlaff you are saying a 5.1.1 mix is equivalent in strength to a 6.1 mix?

I don't agree as lime is not the binder :numberone:

Brush down the substrate using a soft hand brush....red ones are good
Apply a well mixed sbr slurry to the pre-damped substrate.....any bucket brush combo is acceptable....
Before slurry is completely dry apply a coat of sand and cement mix to either 5:1 or 6:1 adding lime to either if that is your wish ......the mixer to use is an electric belle as a diesel one makes far too much noise and anyway the orange colour looks nice.....
Rule the sand and cement mix nice and flat......don't just use a gash piece of wood as a rule, use an aluminium one...several to choose from but an "h" rule is quite nice to use......
Devil float the surface......use a plastic float with no less than four nails protruding no more than 2mm .....use a circular motion until you get bored and then do a figure of eight....work from the left or the right...both are acceptable...
Clean down, sweep up, wash out, ...You can do this in any order you like, but have a radio one whilst you are doing it......smooth extra is best for this......any radio will do .......but yellow ones sound better..
Not more than 24hrs after all this you can apply a gypsum finish......multi is good, unifinish would also be ok......there are others available but we like multi the bestest.....
You can work from the bucket to do this finish or a board and stand.....the bucket must be opaque...anything else will make the plaster finish all stripes..don't have too small a board and stand, this will make the plaster fall off..
You can use a metal trowel to apply the finish .....take care not to put it on upside down or inside out.....if you choose stainless steel, you must have spent at least some pounds on it, cheaper ones make the plaster all rippley....if you use a carbon trowel you must soak it for a week in vinegar, because that will make it smell nice..... you can start at the top or the bottom...you will have to have a hawk......hand boards aren't as good...whatever you choose it must have a handle...handles a fat as your willy seem like a good idea....
After you have put n the first coat, you will have to use a speedskim to flatten it, these are blue and that's the colour of the sky on a nice day....
When you put on the second coat...even if it is part of the gauge mixed for the first coat....you must be careful....far too often people just aren't, and that is a shame....
When you have got the second coat on the world of plaster finishes opens up for you.....flat, flat and smooth, Bulgarian brush finish, bobbly, stripey and many, many more... you can use a sponge on your wall anytime you like, yellow ones won't work...it must be blue or orange...
There are many trowels you can use for finishing .......some are metal, some are plastic, a lot have pretty handles so that's nice.. some people use metal faced skimming rules ....some don't.....
Trowel your wall until it has a smooth, closed in, blemish free, uniform look to it, unless you are doing the Bulgarian brush......
Whilst doing this work don't wear fancy dress, that would be silly....:hola:

Brush down the substrate using a soft hand brush....red ones are good
Apply a well mixed sbr slurry to the pre-damped substrate.....any bucket brush combo is acceptable....
Before slurry is completely dry apply a coat of sand and cement mix to either 5:1 or 6:1 adding lime to either if that is your wish ......the mixer to use is an electric belle as a diesel one makes far too much noise and anyway the orange colour looks nice.....
Rule the sand and cement mix nice and flat......don't just use a gash piece of wood as a rule, use an aluminium one...several to choose from but an "h" rule is quite nice to use......
Devil float the surface......use a plastic float with no less than four nails protruding no more than 2mm .....use a circular motion until you get bored and then do a figure of eight....work from the left or the right...both are acceptable...
Clean down, sweep up, wash out, ...You can do this in any order you like, but have a radio one whilst you are doing it......smooth extra is best for this......any radio will do .......but yellow ones sound better..
Not more than 24hrs after all this you can apply a gypsum finish......multi is good, unifinish would also be ok......there are others available but we like multi the bestest.....
You can work from the bucket to do this finish or a board and stand.....the bucket must be opaque...anything else will make the plaster finish all stripes..don't have too small a board and stand, this will make the plaster fall off..
You can use a metal trowel to apply the finish .....take care not to put it on upside down or inside out.....if you choose stainless steel, you must have spent at least some pounds on it, cheaper ones make the plaster all rippley....if you use a carbon trowel you must soak it for a week in vinegar, because that will make it smell nice..... you can start at the top or the bottom...you will have to have a hawk......hand boards aren't as good...whatever you choose it must have a handle...handles a fat as your willy seem like a good idea....
After you have put n the first coat, you will have to use a speedskim to flatten it, these are blue and that's the colour of the sky on a nice day....
When you put on the second coat...even if it is part of the gauge mixed for the first coat....you must be careful....far too often people just aren't, and that is a shame....
When you have got the second coat on the world of plaster finishes opens up for you.....flat, flat and smooth, Bulgarian brush finish, bobbly, stripey and many, many more... you can use a sponge on your wall anytime you like, yellow ones won't work...it must be blue or orange...
There are many trowels you can use for finishing .......some are metal, some are plastic, a lot have pretty handles so that's nice.. some people use metal faced skimming rules ....some don't.....
Trowel your wall until it has a smooth, closed in, blemish free, uniform look to it, unless you are doing the Bulgarian brush......
Whilst doing this work don't wear fancy dress, that would be silly....:hola:

There you go free d.!!

From the British Lime Association
IMG_3994.PNG