Top coat

Members online

FreeD

Private Member
Hi all looking for some advice.

On a job...rock hard scratch coat, can't get it off the wall...seems dry all over...

The top coat came off with a scraper, very weak mix

So I'm back to a rock hard scratch coat, a bit of tanking here and there....upto around 1.2 metres all round.

What do you reckon 6-1-1 on top, no waterproofer?

Cheers

It's on most of the walls at ground level...upto around 1.5 metres...and one whole wall. Existing is solid, sand and cement, 3 or 4 to 1. Don't know if additives in it...I didn't do it, was done years ago. Final finish will be multi.

I need to re do the top coat. Wondering what mix is best 4-1 with SBR...or 6-1-1

We use Bosch tool from hire shop, if that don't work , mallet and chisel, if that doesn't work go straight over it

We use Bosch tool from hire shop, if that don't work , mallet and chisel, if that doesn't work go straight over it

I've got to go straight over it...but don't want to do too strong, I'm thinking 4-1 with SBR...any objections?

Rendagrip is more of adhesive, bond . As for the ratio if you know when the scratch coat was done and what's the strength at the moment you should be able to work it out. By your words it's more like 5:1

Rendagrip is more of adhesive, bond . As for the ratio if you know when the scratch coat was done and what's the strength at the moment you should be able to work it out. By your words it's more like 5:1

VF I don't know what ratio the scratch is or when it was done...this is old property we took off wallpaper, found top coat was like sand, could brush it off...scratch is solid strong mix...just wondering whether best to go on with a strong top coat mix as in damp proofing with waterproofer or go for a weaker 6-1-1 on top as not to put too much stress on the scratch as I don't know what ratio mix it is....make sense?

Has it ever been skimmed?
Is the scratch coat devilled up or keyed with a scratcher?
Also, love your any objections?

Maybe this question is too complicated...or am I overthinking it and it doesn't really matter either mix

SBR slurry 1:1:1 , applied more like harl coat for key
Top coat 5:1
If the scratch coat is solid as you say 5:1 will be fine. I personally use 3:1 for eml only. Scratch 4:1, top-5:1 , unless the substrate is very s**t

Lime will be better in your case . Why don't you try bauwer? Decent products and all your worries will fly through the window.

Lime will be better in your case . Why don't you try bauwer? Decent products and all your worries will fly through the window.

Can't this time mate, got to lay on tmw, so you think hydrated lime in the mix?...it's Victorian property..

Hydrated lime is in the mix with cement to make the mix more workable.
Hydraulic lime is breathable - this doesn't get mixed with cement.

Hydrated won't do anything more than plasticise your mix.

Thats fine just checking that it was ok to use where there could be a possibility of damp...didn't want to draw moisture. I know that it is in renovation plaster so should be ok.