TOOLS FOR PLASTERING, secrets and tips!!!!!

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris.p.

just wondering if people know where for some good deals for plastering tools? is there a certain web site or shop u always visit for your tools?

example: like i picked a few 6" brushes up from 'the range' the other day. £3 each, they good for cleaning tools and seem to get better over time, i use seperate brush for finishing and angles. but they good for painting pva on walls and even tanking,

also for gaugers and bucket trowels, not so much for finishing trowels i go to deckortools-uk seller on ebay. they sell as german stainless steel. cheap too compared to marshalltown. i think they brill quality, havn't let me down. come in a lot of sizes. def worth a look

just wondering if people know where for some good deals for plastering tools? is there a certain web site or shop u always visit for your tools?

example: like i picked a few 6" brushes up from 'the range' the other day. £3 each, they good for cleaning tools and seem to get better over time, i use seperate brush for finishing and angles. but they good for painting pva on walls and even tanking,

also for gaugers and bucket trowels, not so much for finishing trowels i go to deckortools-uk seller on ebay. they sell as german stainless steel. cheap too compared to marshalltown. i think they brill quality, havn't let me down. come in a lot of sizes. def worth a look

Home bargains....great for brushes :)

ive no great tips on places to buy....

but il tell yer summet I must of had to/choose to replace nearly all my tools over last 12 months no big massive major buys but pretty much something nearly every week/fortnight...somes just got to the end of the life cycle overs stuff damaged/or upgraded...

then theres all the items that weren't even about few yrs ago that have bought ref speedskims/plaziflexes etc...

and do you know what heres the major school boy small minded error...not 1 thing has been priced into costs...

this is where being small minded soletrader and not thinking like a ltd company would do makes you come unstuck...all the money just goes into a black hole!!!!

in no particular order.....

dewalt work boots - £40
cheapo tshirts x 6 - £30
cheapo jogging trowsers - £10
cheapo hoody - £10
Knee pads - £10
x 2 hopup - £40
2 tread step - £15
3 tread step - £20
Scaff Board - £20
Level set - £20
Makita Cordless - £100
Speedskim set - £30
Plaziflex - £20
Tapemeasure - £5
Buckets - £5
Angle Trowel - £15
Brushes - £10
Makita radio - £150
Sitel light - £15

Foookin apx £565 and theres defo more things ive not thought of and not costed a single item to a job....

Not to even mention motoring costs etc....this is why your daily rate needs to be much higher than we all charge!!!!

think im going to add a tenner or summet onto all jobs to cover replacing bits over the year from now on...

its only took me 15rs to think of this!!!!!:muyenojado:

Add up all your costs for the year, basic wages, tools, van, insurance, clothing, accountant, fuel, etc. etc. Leave the list for a week or two and add the things you've forgotten as you go in that period (phone, internet, etc.). When you have that figure you have your costs and overheads. Work out how many days a year you want to work, call it 230 for now, divide your costs and over heads by 230 and that's your break even figure per day. Add a percentage for profit, say 10% and that's your day rate.

If you can't achieve that day rate stop and get a job or do something else. If you don't want to stop then it's time to work out how you achieve that rate. Obviously if you're in your first couple of years you may not do it but need to be working towards it.

If you don't achieve that rate you are effectively paying to go to work. The harsh reality of self employment I'm afraid is that far more people are doing it than should or can do it. You could be the best and most skilled tradesman in the UK, and also be a poor businessman. That will end in tears sooner or later.

dewalt work boots - £40
cheapo tshirts x 6 - £30
cheapo hoody - £10
Knee pads - £10
x 2 hopup - £40
2 tread step - £15
3 tread step - £20
Scaff Board - £20
Level set - £20
Makita Cordless - £100
Speedskim set - £30
Plaziflex - £20
Tapemeasure - £5
Buckets - £5
Angle Trowel - £15
Brushes - £10
Makita radio - £150
Sitel light - £15

Foookin apx £565 and theres defo more things ive not thought of and not costed a single item to a job....

Not to even mention motoring costs etc....this is why your daily rate needs to be much higher than we all charge!!!!

think im going to add a tenner or summet onto all jobs to cover replacing bits over the year from now on...

Just do what i do and over charge everyone.

aghhhhhh.....just remembered

x2 board props - £40
stapler - £20
toolbelt- £20
tinsnips - £20

that's another £100

booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!

Soon mounts up doesn't it? It's annoying when people question rates too. "Just for changing a worktop? It only takes a couple of hours!" A couple of hours, plus the running costs of the van, fuel, purchasing the router, rail saw, replacing the cutters and blades every few worktops, sealant, adhesives, screws and other bits. Add that lot up and it starts to look cheap, so it's important to keep an eye on the costs involved and adjust your rates accordingly.

dewalt work boots - £40
cheapo tshirts x 6 - £30
cheapo hoody - £10
Knee pads - £10
x 2 hopup - £40
2 tread step - £15
3 tread step - £20
Scaff Board - £20
Level set - £20
Makita Cordless - £100
Speedskim set - £30
Plaziflex - £20
Tapemeasure - £5
Buckets - £5
Angle Trowel - £15
Brushes - £10
Makita radio - £150
Sitel light - £15

f**k me ,that was like the Generation game Zombie

Zombie you havent even mentioned the main tool of our trade

@beddy....trowels???

lol...funnily enough other than a plaziflex which now lives in my plastering graveyard/room 101....

the only other trowel ive bought of late is an angle trowel last week...which incidentley ive goto buy another as dint realise its a 103 like my old 15yr old 103 it was to replace..........

aghhhhhhhhhhhh damn you 90 degresss angle trowel owners!!!!! grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!

dewalt work boots - £40
cheapo tshirts x 6 - £30
cheapo hoody - £10
Knee pads - £10
x 2 hopup - £40
2 tread step - £15
3 tread step - £20
Scaff Board - £20
Level set - £20
Makita Cordless - £100
Speedskim set - £30
Plaziflex - £20
Tapemeasure - £5
Buckets - £5
Angle Trowel - £15
Brushes - £10
Makita radio - £150
Sitel light - £15

what about sandpaper and drawing pins :popcorn:

dewalt work boots - £40
cheapo tshirts x 6 - £30
cheapo hoody - £10
Knee pads - £10
x 2 hopup - £40
2 tread step - £15
3 tread step - £20
Scaff Board - £20
Level set - £20
Makita Cordless - £100
Speedskim set - £30
Plaziflex - £20
Tapemeasure - £5
Buckets - £5
Angle Trowel - £15
Brushes - £10
Makita radio - £150
Sitel light - £15

Status
Not open for further replies.