Tool insurance claims

Members online

Arti

Marra of mine had his van nicked off his drive the other week and couldn't find receipts for a few bits of gear so couldn't claim for everything.

Anyways he was advised by the insurance gadgie to periodically lay all his gear out and take photos of all his gear as proof for any further claims.

Did all mine today and you don't realise how much gear we carry in the van till you lay it all out. Obviously being the fastidious gadgie that I am I keep all my receipts but you just never know

Marra of mine had his van nicked off his drive the other week and couldn't find receipts for a few bits of gear so couldn't claim for everything.

Anyways he was advised by the insurance gadgie to periodically lay all his gear out and take photos of all his gear as proof for any further claims.

Did all mine today and you don't realise how much gear we carry in the van till you lay it all out. Obviously being the fastidious gadgie that I am I keep all my receipts but you just never know
A Scots chippy I know had all his tools stolen off a job in north London, he spotted them for sale in an exchange and mart shop, he told the guy there were his, the guy said I bought them in good faith,he phoned the police, they took 2 days to come, most of the tools were sold by then, he had all the receipts and boxes

Right scam that insurance...make a claim and they just put your premiums up so you pay for it anyway....and thats if you're lucky.

:mad:

Marra of mine had his van nicked off his drive the other week...

Anyways he was advised by the insurance gadgie to periodically lay all his gear out and take photos of all his gear as proof for any further claims...

Keep meaning to do this. It's over a year since I last had stuff nicked and I'm still getting caught out looking for tools that were long gone. Usually odd stuff like the left-handed reverse-stroke banana-gap trowel that you made for a specific job.

Mate had his van rinsed about 8 week ago, £6200 in receipts he had, got all the quotes from tool shops come to Just over £7000 in today’s market. Said they’d only pay out up to £500 per item and some items was pensioned off due to age. Got £3200 back. Premiums gone up thinking about getting locks on his van and alarm, renting a lock up. Now selling his house so he’s got a garage. The £3200 he got back was a drop in the ocean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A Scots chippy I know had all his tools stolen off a job in north London, he spotted them for sale in an exchange and mart shop, he told the guy there were his, the guy said I bought them in good faith,he phoned the police, they took 2 days to come, most of the tools were sold by then, he had all the receipts and boxes
Job I was on the same happened they stole a couple of joiners and plumbers tools and they turn up in a similar place. The plumber bought his own drill back coz he couldn't be arsed waiting grrrr I couldn't believe it I told him I would wreck the place if they were my tools.

Job I was on the same happened they stole a couple of joiners and plumbers tools and they turn up in a similar place. The plumber bought his own drill back coz he couldn't be arsed waiting grrrr I couldn't believe it I told him I would wreck the place if they were my tools.
You’d get arrested very quickly

I had my transit broke into late 2016. Got a crafter with extra locks on after. Actually got them on camera, 11 minutes it took them from walking up to running off. They made off with a 2 Hilti breakers and a hilti drill,a Dewalt setof cordless screwdrivers and impact driver and my makita radio. We’ve actually got themselves cheering to each other on camera for the haul they got. We recovered the majita radio the next day as it had been three a few doors down from us. The police was called, the neighbours thought the radio was a bomb lol. The never really took my claim seriously thinking I was talking about a bit of diy tools until I started producing recruits for the hilti gear. Worse of all my insurance should of auto renewed. Got proof that it should of auto renewed by never. Was a long argument with them. The finally reimbursed me what I’d lost but I’m so glad of the extra locks now on my crafter. Wankers stealing another mans livelihood

You’d get arrested very quickly
I know but nobody else would get my tools, the press would get involved so a nice bit of advertising, the shop would get bad press and I probably wouldn't get charged :) if I did I recon the fine would be less than what my tools were worth, OH and I would enjoy it.

Mate had his van rinsed about 8 week ago, ...Now selling his house so he’s got a garage. The £3200 he got back was a drop in the ocean.

Tell him to just buy a bigger house and keep them inside. Garages are vulnerable too and the penalties for raiding an outbuilding aren't as serious as they are for a house.

The brother in law is a plumber, van kitted out with deadlocks ,Bas***ds used a grinder to the side of his van, took the lot insurance company wouldn't believe his claim due to no receipts, they gave him £1950, also when he phoned the police took them two days to attend,

I had my transit broke into late 2016. Got a crafter with extra locks on after. Actually got them on camera, 11 minutes it took them from walking up to running off. They made off with a 2 Hilti breakers and a hilti drill,a Dewalt setof cordless screwdrivers and impact driver and my makita radio. We’ve actually got themselves cheering to each other on camera for the haul they got. We recovered the majita radio the next day as it had been three a few doors down from us. The police was called, the neighbours thought the radio was a bomb lol. The never really took my claim seriously thinking I was talking about a bit of diy tools until I started producing recruits for the hilti gear. Worse of all my insurance should of auto renewed. Got proof that it should of auto renewed by never. Was a long argument with them. The finally reimbursed me what I’d lost but I’m so glad of the extra locks now on my crafter. Wankers stealing another mans livelihood

Bloody spellcheck on IPhone is terrible. Makita radio was threw a few doors down. And producing receipts not recruits, otherwise we’d all be fine if we could produce recruits lol

Tell him to just buy a bigger house and keep them inside. Garages are vulnerable too and the penalties for raiding an outbuilding aren't as serious as they are for a house.

All in his house now till he moves, kids are doing more damage to them but at least he’s still got them. Actually told him to set fire to the van and get a cards in job. My tool cover has nearly doubled this year that’s without any claims.

The brother in law is a plumber, van kitted out with deadlocks ,Bas***ds used a grinder to the side of his van, took the lot insurance company wouldn't believe his claim due to no receipts, they gave him £1950, also when he phoned the police took them two days to attend,

There's all sorts of pics on 'net showing vans with peeled sides (grinders/nibblers) and side doors levered open. I was looking at one of those alarms that calls your phone, not too expensive and at least you might have time to get to the van and show them the big crowbar that you happened to NOT have left in the van?

Know of a builder who knows “people”. He’s told me don’t get the deadlocks as they’re more likely to attract thieves as you’ve got something to hide. Chances are they’ll steal your van and grind open the doors

How does the crafter fair up to the transit? Thinking about a crafter or a sprinter next. Won’t be new though I’m keeping the custom.

There's all sorts of pics on 'net showing vans with peeled sides (grinders/nibblers) and side doors levered open. I was looking at one of those alarms that calls your phone, not too expensive and at least you might have time to get to the van and show them the big crowbar that you happened to NOT have left in the van?
Not seen those alarms...I'm away to google now!

Mate of mines been done about 4 times now. Last time they took his hand tools.
His F*****g HAND TOOLS.

Anyway hes given up. Selling his van and whats left of his tools to get a steady job.

How does the crafter fair up to the transit? Thinking about a crafter or a sprinter next. Won’t be new though I’m keeping the custom.

It’s a good van. I’m on a 12 plate, the dash went haywire on Friday on it for no real reason but soon sorted itself out. The biggest difference I can say about the transit is it’s wider so comfier for more people and slower. An awful lot slower

Not seen those alarms...I'm away to google now!

Mate of mines been done about 4 times now. Last time they took his hand tools.
His F*****g HAND TOOLS.

Anyway hes given up. Selling his van and whats left of his tools to get a steady job.

Once you’ve been done, they come back for the new stock. If vans on your drive add door contacts to your van. Send a silent alarm off in your house for 10 seconds before the noise comes.

It’s a good van. I’m on a 12 plate, the dash went haywire on Friday on it for no real reason but soon sorted itself out. The biggest difference I can say about the transit is it’s wider so comfier for more people and slower. An awful lot slower

The fuel consumption put me off getting one last time. Said about 18-20mpg with a load in the back. Not the bullshit rolling road with no wind or wing mirrors it give you in the tech specs. What I am told is when they start to go they cost a bomb and the faults come thick and fast.

The fuel consumption put me off getting one last time. Said about 18-20mpg with a load in the back. Not the bullshit rolling road with no wind or wing mirrors it give you in the tech specs. What I am told is when they start to go they cost a bomb and the faults come thick and fast.[/QUOTE

Fuel really isn’t great. Was getting 450ish on digital readout but then a water fault was coming thick and fast. Had that sorted now I’m getting 390-400 Miles if I’m lucky. I must say it’s a far superior van. Not perfect but compared to transits I’m used to it’s in a different league

A lad I know had his gear robbed out the motor he said he was 2 minds about claiming off of the insurance.
I said Wtf your a pipe lagger mate ffs how much can a bread knife and a bit of old string be worth?.
He said they had my steps aswell.
o_O

I don't bother with tool insurance, some flogs you a 10-15k cover as little as 160 a year, doubt they will pay out, had a quote off NFU a few years ago they wanted £850 a year with not much exclusions but that's just too much tbh.
My mate had a stump grinder on hire he put it on his plant insurance policy, got nicked, they never paid out, he had to.cover it from his own pocket.
Other mate of mine got done 3 times last year, they took a trencher, big breakers, dumper etc, got less than 30% of their value, insurance ain't worth a wank.
J

A lad I know had his gear robbed out the motor he said he was 2 minds about claiming off of the insurance.
I said Wtf your a pipe lagger mate ffs how much can a bread knife and a bit of old string be worth?.
He said they had my steps aswell.
o_O
The ladder type or the pop group type?

What do plasterers need tool insurance for ?
A whist, bag of hand tools maybe a grinder....
A joiner I could understand but plasterers, waste of money. Worse case you get done, it would be cheaper replace odd stuff than pay premiums then they try and get out of paying out after all that.

Old vans are easy pickings,
I had an old 2009 ford transit a few years ago, sat in brew cabin shooting the breeeze, got talking about tools nicked out of vans etc. A young scaffolder chirps up, I bet I can get into your van in less than a minute, what by using a crow bar...behave etc no honestly I can, long story short he sneaked down to the work compound got into my van, came back with a makita breaker out the back of my locked van ...I went down, he'd managed to get in without any damage and locked it back up again, unbelievable, I don't know how he did it.aparently there's quite an easy way to get into ford transits before 2010 models, when ford altered the locking mechanisms and fobs.
Still i remember my first bosses van a 93 l reg transit only about 5 year old at the time and you could open the lock on the back with a penknife.

Old vans are easy pickings.

Not just the old ones, the Sprinter had a glaring security screw-up where you could just pop the rubber offside door stop and pull the door open mechanism. Manufacturers get all hung over super high-tech immobilisers and what-not instead of just making it difficult to get in.

Old vans are easy pickings,
I had an old 2009 ford transit a few years ago, sat in brew cabin shooting the breeeze, got talking about tools nicked out of vans etc. A young scaffolder chirps up, I bet I can get into your van in less than a minute, what by using a crow bar...behave etc no honestly I can, long story short he sneaked down to the work compound got into my van, came back with a makita breaker out the back of my locked van ...I went down, he'd managed to get in without any damage and locked it back up again, unbelievable, I don't know how he did it.aparently there's quite an easy way to get into ford transits before 2010 models, when ford altered the locking mechanisms and fobs.
Still i remember my first bosses van a 93 l reg transit only about 5 year old at the time and you could open the lock on the back with a penknife.

Arc wires together behind front lights to open, again to lock it. Joke ford with their security.