Too wet or too dry - not enough suction?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curmudgeon

Newbie Mess going on here in Aus.

I'm sand cement base coat onto newish bricks. I cleaned then sealed with our uni-bond (Bondcrete) at a fairly weak mix (say 1: 6 or 7) then after that dried I applied a stronger PVA coat around 1:2 or 3 and let that get dryish, it didn't seem to be tacky though to me.

I mixed at a fairly strong 4:1 (figured it's a strong wall and it's going to then be waterproofed and tiled so it's sort of last coat) I mix this with a "Lanko 312 renderers plasticiser" mixed with water at a fairly weak dilution, this is supposed to take the place of Lime as well as acting as a bit of a PVA.

All seemed to be going great, it was flying up onto the wall and looking sweet.... until it started peeling back off again!

I persevered and just kept pushing it back up until it eventually stuck and it seems to have sucked onto the wall quite well now, I've scraped it down since and flatted it off and it sounded good and was workable.

I've got a two-fold question though....

How do I avoid that happening again? I thought my mix was perfect but wonder if it was too wet as it obviously stuck after I'd stuffed around with it for 30 minutes more than I'd bargained for!

Also due to all the messing around I came up short on the wall and so wonder how I go about combining a mix that goes onto the remainder of the bare bricks but also a scrape over the top of where I was thin as I ran out of my first batch. Do I slap PVA on that tomorrow when it's good and dry and go again or am I going to have an issue with the two different substrates. Do I do a weaker mix to compensate.

Also is it just me or is that Lanko stuff crap and I'm better bunging the PVA in the Mix too? OK that's 3 questions - sorry.

Jeez for a minute there I thought I was a plastering god today.... now, Mmmmm dunces hat instead!

Status
Not open for further replies.