Too long between coats.

Matty T

I was working late today and tried to plaster the curved bay when I got in from work. I did the other three walls last night after work and saved the bay for tonight. Problem is, the first coat took too long and now it's too late to mix up the second coat so my first is going to be dry by tomorrow evening when n get in from work. Should I PVA and slap on one coat or PVA it and stick on two coats because I shouldn't have started so late?

I was working late today and tried to plaster the curved bay when I got in from work. I did the other three walls last night after work and saved the bay for tonight. Problem is, the first coat took too long and now it's too late to mix up the second coat so my first is going to be dry by tomorrow evening when n get in from work. Should I PVA and slap on one coat or PVA it and stick on two coats because I shouldn't have started so late?

Re pva and start again

Pva and start over. The second coat isn't applied to add thickness to the job, its applied so that you are applying a wet coat to a firmer one. It helps you smooth things out.

Pva and start over. The second coat isn't applied to add thickness to the job, its applied so that you are applying a wet coat to a firmer one. It helps you smooth things out.

Bloody love it when you say "Wet & Firm" in same sentence!!!!

It's like listening to Nigela Lawson describing cooking!!!

No offence @JessThePlasterer keep loading job out these bags aren't going to move themselves!!!

Might be on about hardwall ,
Anyway it's best to let anything dry out before PVA IMO ( which counts for FA )

Thanks. That's what I'll do and I'll try to get my skates on tonight.

Yes. Is that bad?

Is if you want it smooth ;)

If you want to do it quick then 2nd coat out of same bucket - that way you won't reset the going off clock.

In my opinion, it's not as good a way to work but some people more experienced than me swear by it.

Is if you want it smooth ;)

If you want to do it quick then 2nd coat out of same bucket - that way you won't reset the going off clock.

In my opinion, it's not as good a way to work but some people more experienced than me swear by it.

I was taught to knock the 2nd coat up through the 1st but I prefer to do a bigger set and knock up fresh.