Today's ashlar block marking

Members online

Jerseyboy

image.jpeg
doing a ashlar block mark job about 100m2 finished the first panel today
Turned out well despite a bit of rain.
I used render beads on this job as its getting painted and needed to bead it first as the old walls were miles out

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 414
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 486
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    952.3 KB · Views: 509
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    963.1 KB · Views: 413
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1,002.4 KB · Views: 443
Nice job did one last year in the summer it was a hot day it was a c**t the render was drying quick. If I have to do it again I'll pick a damp day. Or if you like to do a bit of work in Ireland (y)

:muyenojado:
Nice job did one last year in the summer it was a hot day it was a c**t the render was drying quick. If I have to do it again I'll pick a damp day. Or if you like to do a bit of work in Ireland (y)
Am in Dublin at Christmas and will work for free to get me out the mother in laws house

I agree fine bit of ashlar shame it's few and far between in Manchester.

I agree fine bit of ashlar shame it's few and far between in Manchester.
Manchester the place of my birth started plastering there but came to jersey and had to start again and got lucky and was taught by an Irish fella and welsh fella showed me all the things I had never seen never mind try

Nice job but without sounding like a c**t which I will do :( I didn't think the key stones and the voussoirs on the second pic looked genuine, really nice job but this spoiled it for me.

Yep knew it would look that way hahahahaha but I am looking from an architectural way. And don't put me in the same bracket as him I'm more educated ;) there is a rule to Ashlar so I was taught at college all them years ago, the stones need to be a different size on each course, don't ask me why it's what I was taught. I said the job was nice but like Facebook if everyone blows smoke up each other's arse the important bits of advise get lost. People see good advise which they don't want to hear as negative but it's not the case it's just good advise. I had the same argument with a friend of mine who has set up business at weekend in Manchester. He called me a troll coz he didn't like what I told him but did like what I told him when he set up, I've not changed my advise is still good and genuine but he has changed he prefers the smoke up his arse :)

Last edited:
Nice job but without sounding like a c**t which I will do :( I didn't think the key stones and the voussoirs on the second pic looked genuine, really nice job but this spoiled it for me.
I understand what your saying but all the marking out and keystones are matched from the front of the original house which is 140 years old
This section was old smooth render that has been removed so the house can look the same.
We have tried to line it all through and and keep it straight with 3 scratch coats.
I will post more pictures when finished

I understand what your saying but all the marking out and keystones are matched from the front of the original house which is 140 years old
This section was old smooth render that has been removed so the house can look the same.
We have tried to line it all through and and keep it straight with 3 scratch coats.
If you matched up fair enough, it will also be interesting to see the original. I was taught about Ashlar that you had a thinner block then a thicker block and so on through out, the voussoirs are the stones either side of the key stones above a window or opening.

Yep knew it would look that way hahahahaha but I am looking from an architectural way. And don't put me in the same bracket as him I'm more educated ;) there is a rule to Ashlar so I was taught at college all them years ago, the stones need to be a different size on each course, don't ask me why it's what I was taught. I said the job was nice but like Facebook if everyone blows smoke up each other's arse the important bits of advise get lost. People see good advise which they don't want to hear as negative but it's not the case it's just good advise. I had the same argument with a friend of mine who has set up business at weekend in Manchester. He called me a troll coz he didn't like what I told him but did like what I told him when he set up, I've not changed my advise is still good and genuine but he has changed he prefers the smoke up his arse :)
Yes I know what ur saying but the stones should stay the same size in width but drop down in size.
Some of the cource lines are 20/30 mm wider in parts only because the so called tradesmen made the front lines that way.
My last ashlar job had proud quoins and keystones which looked nice when finished

Post a pic of the front when you get a chance :)

Manchester the place of my birth started plastering there but came to jersey and had to start again and got lucky and was taught by an Irish fella and welsh fella showed me all the things I had never seen never mind try
Do you know a plasterer called Jason Sims by any chance mate, he lives in jersey as well,just presuming it ain't that big a world and might know him.
Great job by the way

Yes I know what ur saying but the stones should stay the same size in width but drop down in size.
Some of the cource lines are 20/30 mm wider in parts only because the so called tradesmen made the front lines that way.
My last ashlar job had proud quoins and keystones which looked nice when finished
That's what I was saying the width is the same but should be drop down in size, it was a rule I'm not sure why but it was a rule :)

If you matched up fair enough, it will also be interesting to see the original. I was taught about Ashlar that you had a thinner block then a thicker block and so on through out, the voussoirs are the stones either side of the key stones above a window or opening.
Yes normally if he keystone was 300mm at the top it could be 250 at the bottom and the rest follow suit wider at the top and narrow at the bottom

It depends on the style or era you are trying to create I suppose, or even trying to match. It looks nice in modern builds but funny to look at, even more funnier when they have a fake bricked up window to make it look like an older building that had to pay window tax lol

Last edited:
I'm glad you carried the conversation on @Jerseyboy and didn't see your arse like a few of the members on here ;) It does annoy me when I point stuff out and it comes across negative, then the point is missed. There is a rule of thumb to Ashlar and a rule of thumb to everything in plastering, when short cuts are taken things are left out and the art of plastering loses out. It is rare we see decent work like this on the forum and if I wouldn't if opened my big mouth I'm sure who ever else is reading this wouldn't of known what a voussoir was, and the rule of Ashlar :) nice work mate and I mean that xx

Last edited:
I'm glad you carried the conversation on @Jerseyboy and didn't see your arse like a few of the members on here ;) It does annoy me when I point stuff out and it comes across negative and the point is missed. There is a rule of thumb to Ashlar and a rule of thumb to everything in plastering and when short cuts are taken things are left out the art of plastering loses out. It is rare we see decent work like this one the forum and if I wouldn't if opened my big mouth I'm sure who ever else is reading this wouldn't of known what a voussoir was and the rule of Ashlar :) nice work mate and I mean that xx
My moto is always be prepared to listen to advice from others
The day we don't listen is the day we stop learning
I was told that by an old spread years ago and the word voussoir is a new one for me we just call them keystone sets.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 278
The key stone I think refers to the first stone and it's been followed out throughout history ie the key detail :) anyway I've got a book signing in the morning so must go to bed ;)

Its a wonderful job that mate.

I always called it blocked effect, but never have I seen one done to this degree. Its stunning.

Never knew it was called ashlar or voussoir but you learn something new everyday in this game.