To SBR or not to SBR,That is the question..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im hacking off a wall(upstairs bed room,window wall).

Thinking of dot and dabbing it with thermaboards.

Will the adhisve suck moisture from the wall and show up through the finish as dampspots.??

Should I sbr slurrycoat the wall before dabbing it,would that work?

Or am I being paranoid.The room is prone to black spots(condensation,blackmold).. thanks

It's not hurting if it's single skin you're better off timber framing it insulating and vapour check board if it's twin skin carry on

back up the dot and dabs with mechanical fixings if your useing therma boards.
how long you been plastering mate???

Unless the wall is soaked your waisting time and money using sbr, if you realy need too give it a coat of sand and cement with an integral waterproofer, then dab it with thermaline boards, you'll only need to use mechanical fixings in area's where, in the event of a fire heat could blow the boards off and they block the exits, stairs, fire escapes etc.

I have done this method in my own house with a coat of s+c with waterproofer then dnd and it dont work. The only way to sort it is to sort the problem out first, make sure no water is penetrating through then you can dab away till you hearts content, but if you are experiencing mould you may want to look into getting some sort of ventilation sorted.

The question you need to answer first is if the mould is caused by poor ventilation/condensation or if it is soaking through the substrate. Then you can make a decision about how to tackle the problem.

I have done this method in my own house with a coat of s+c with waterproofer then dnd and it dont work. The only way to sort it is to sort the problem out first, make sure no water is penetrating through then you can dab away till you hearts content, but if you are experiencing mould you may want to look into getting some sort of ventilation sorted.

How come it dint work Bod, were the bricks porous or leaky gutter/fall pipe or something?

you might just have water coming in round window. i had same problem. we had new double glazing and every thing was sealed propely. havent had a problem since.

How come it dint work Bod, were the bricks porous or leaky gutter/fall pipe or something?

Yeah there was a crack in the render on the external and the water was still penetrating through so like i said you have fix it from the out side before you attempt to fix the inside other wise your flogging a dead horse.

Status
Not open for further replies.