Tips for quick set finish for small jobs

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plasterface

Anyone got any good tips for getting finish too go quickly for small jobs and patching. Really annoying when you only got a bit too do and it just won't go off . Be interesting too see your different methods cheers.

dirty water, keep some in a coke bottle for emergencys...... or hot water works too. also over mixing the gauge, whisk it for ages, get some air into it.

A bag of sugar also works, but be careful as too little will re***d it, so make sure you whack the whole bag in :RpS_thumbup:

it does make multi set quick, old lab i had mixed to thick so he added dirty water and the bucket set solit round the wisk, i had to cut the bucket off and smash the huge lump of plaster up to get me whisk back

If its a domestic job - get them to whack the heating on full blast the day before lol

heat gun haha kill it off in seconds and it doubles nicley as a lighter for when your zippos out of petrol

Joint filler and a bit of lime the more lime the faster it sets small patches done in 5 mins and it rubs up like glass just don't leave it or it will set on you

you can make up a bucket of what we used to call solid dope , first put about 2 l water in abucket add skim, wait until it starts to go off a bit , add more water, approx half a liter, wait until this starts to go of , keep repeating process until the mixture stops setting/going offyou should now have a full bucket or more of a mixture that looks like a bucket of skim , but it will not set, but if you add a small ammount to a new bucket of skim it will make it set much faster , if i recall about a small cup full of solid dope to a bucket will set bucket full of fresh skim in a approx in 1 hour . you will have to experment a bir , but it will work very well, and as long as you place a peice of cling film over the solid dope it will stay fresh for a long long time

Cling film over the dope, nice one :RpS_thumbup:
Does it matter what size the dope is in the cling film?
Example: 16th, 8th, 1/4 & 1/2 ounce sizes :RpS_unsure:

I put a dog biscuit in a bit of clingfilm and told the pub landlady that I found it in the bogs..........Everyone was a suspected druggie after that - except me :RpS_biggrin:

Yep cling film keeps the dope fresh alright, tin foil too.:RpS_thumbup: if it's a nine bar! Big ziploc bags are ideal,.......... Oh erm, were not talkin bout the same dope here are we??? Oops:-0

you can make up a bucket of what we used to call solid dope , first put about 2 l water in abucket add skim, wait until it starts to go off a bit , add more water, approx half a liter, wait until this starts to go of , keep repeating process until the mixture stops setting/going offyou should now have a full bucket or more of a mixture that looks like a bucket of skim , but it will not set, but if you add a small ammount to a new bucket of skim it will make it set much faster , if i recall about a small cup full of solid dope to a bucket will set bucket full of fresh skim in a approx in 1 hour . you will have to experment a bir , but it will work very well, and as long as you place a peice of cling film over the solid dope it will stay fresh for a long long time

that would take longer than doing the job itself lol

I guess some sludge from the bottom of yer washing out bucket would do :RpS_thumbup:

If you ever make a sloppy mix and have no more dust, don't be tempted to add dry-lining adhesive to make it up :RpS_crying:

Status
Not open for further replies.