Tinnitus

Members online

No members online now.

Olican

Private Member
Anyone suffer from this? Had mine for about 8 years. Been through the usual check ups and treatments via ENT. You learn more about it as your condition spikes. Physcology plays as big a part as physiologly . I'm very laid back which I think helps me deal with it, I never lose my temper and am very placid.

That said I'm currently in the dark zone which means my tinnitus is a lot louder than usual ( due to an ear infection). Mine is a high pitch continious ring , imagine a door bell constantly ringing. It's extremely difficult not to be irate but I'm putting a front on for family. I'm familiar with the coping mechanisms and I know hypnotherapy works wonders. None of that helps right now.

Tonight , like the past 3 nights will be grim. It will wake me constantly so will sleep on sofa. I know this will pass in a week hopefully less then it will reduce to a manageable level. Would not wish it on anyone.

Anyone suffer from this? Had mine for about 8 years. Been through the usual check ups and treatments via ENT. You learn more about it as your condition spikes. Physcology plays as big a part as physiologly . I'm very laid back which I think helps me deal with it, I never lose my temper and am very placid.

That said I'm currently in the dark zone which means my tinnitus is a lot louder than usual ( due to an ear infection). Mine is a high pitch continious ring , imagine a door bell constantly ringing. It's extremely difficult not to be irate but I'm putting a front on for family. I'm familiar with the coping mechanisms and I know hypnotherapy works wonders. None of that helps right now.

Tonight , like the past 3 nights will be grim. It will wake me constantly so will sleep on sofa. I know this will pass in a week hopefully less then it will reduce to a manageable level. Would not wish it on anyone.

I have it mate. Cant speak right now, but will comment later

Sounds terrible :( I grew up with Tourette's in the 70's and have it ever since, it's not so bad as I'm older or I don't really give a f**k and I've embraced it. Ive read a few bits about Tinnitus and think it has to be dealt a similar way by embracing it and not try to focus on it try and realise you have to live together. Easier said than done i know, I put my Tourette's to the back of mind some how, but watching my son grow up brings it all back, he doesn't have it thank god but it could come anytime and is hereditary. And it's not verbal Tourette's I just love the word c**t :)

Never knew I had it till I googled it one day , when I go to bed always here a light humming noise , seriously I used to think it was t.v downstairs or something on standby , one night I unplugged all my broadband box because I thought it was that vibrating on a floor joist , then i Google it the next day , tbf mine probably not to bad , my research brought me to “hummers “ which is mild form of tinnitus, some of the stories I read were unreal , one guy even blamed the electricity board for the humming , he said he thought it must of been the cables making the noise

i have tinnitus also , i dont think we do enough to look after ourselves in the building trade , i imagine that carpenters with there paslode guns and other load power tools are going to suffer in the future .

Never knew I had it till I googled it one day , when I go to bed always here a light humming noise , seriously I used to think it was t.v downstairs or something on standby , one night I unplugged all my broadband box because I thought it was that vibrating on a floor joist , then i Google it the next day , tbf mine probably not to bad , my research brought me to “hummers “ which is mild form of tinnitus, some of the stories I read were unreal , one guy even blamed the electricity board for the humming , he said he thought it must of been the cables making the noise
I've heard it called a rabbit :whistle:

Just remembered a few things that might help
1. Have some sort of faint noise (even very light meditation type sounds) when trying to sleep it’s supposed to distract your mind from focusing on the high pitch sound
2. Is stress , I read the more uptight we are the high pitch intensity is increased , if money is not a problem I’d personally recommend purchasing a hot tub , one hour in that before bed sends straight off to sleep and also reduces stress

Must be horrible at night, can you get some white noise on YouTube to settle down to, when my anxiety was bad I found some helpful stuff on YouTube, white noise, Buddhist meditation stuff, panpipes loads of relaxing distractions.

It was Alan watts Buddhism seminars I listened to mainly, I used to get completely lost in his words and theories, interesting stuff very relaxing.

i have tinnitus also , i dont think we do enough to look after ourselves in the building trade , i imagine that carpenters with there paslode guns and other load power tools are going to suffer in the future .

True that mate. People have come around to using PPE, but see loads of guys still not using ear defenders.

Do you have the same problem when you stay away coz it could be your house or area.

Mines same pitch as at 1 minute 17 seconds Flynny, I can hear it only when in complete or near enough complete silence

Last edited:
Came on in my late twenties for me.
Mine manifests itself as a hiss, a bit like when you unscrew the cap just a tad on a bottle of pop.
Used to keep me awake at night something chronic. That's the problem, as the brain 'amplifies it' the more you focus and stress about it. Had loads of tests done, MRI, but in the end I kept working to dial it out. I can hear it, but it doesn't bother me too much now as I have convinced myself I've always had it.
Stress, bad diet and being rundown make it worse.

Mine manifests itself as a hiss, a bit like when you unscrew the cap just a tad on a bottle of pop.
Used to keep me awake at night something chronic. That's the problem, as the brain 'amplifies it' the more you focus and stress about it. Had loads of tests done, MRI, but in the end I kept working to dial it out. I can hear it, but it doesn't bother me too much now as I have convinced myself I've always had it.
Same near enough, I can’t pinpoint how old I was when first noticed it , definitely can remember it in my early 20s , actually use to think it was just normal, then like said earlier the high pitch turned more into a hum that’s when started researching it few years back , the high pitch is there but definitely notice if you think about the sound it seems louder and really frustrating but can get self into a zone of not letting it bother me , I’m hoping oil can find that zone is best advice can give

Same as you bud, when I get a flare up like now it's hard to bear. I just have to get back into the mindset of ignoring it. Our subconscious amplifies it like you say, it will go back to a manageable level soon. A nice day skimming tomorrow will take my mind off it

Same near enough, I can’t pinpoint how old I was when first noticed it , definitely can remember it in my early 20s , actually use to think it was just normal, then like said earlier the high pitch turned more into a hum that’s when started researching it few years back , the high pitch is there but definitely notice if you think about the sound it seems louder and really frustrating but can get self into a zone of not letting it bother me , I’m hoping oil can find that zone is best advice can give

I'm getting there bud, couple of days and it'll be back to normal. I'm so congested and nasally right now seems to have amplified it

I'm getting there bud, couple of days and it'll be back to normal. I'm so congested and nasally right now seems to have amplified it
Another thing I found out was my granddad had it but no one in my mums generation did , I.e any of her sisters

I've got it to...high pitch, sometimes to the point that it's all I can focus on.

I've changed some of the tools I use, and use 30 decibel reduction ear protection with all power tools.

If you use a decibel metre on your phone and check power tools it's shocking, I've stopped using impact drivers, multi tools are also over 100 decibels.

All the noise level warnings are in the power tool manuals...

Some things I have found help reduce Tinnitus...

excercise: for me running
diet
ear protection with all power tools and loud music events

Mine is worst first thing in the morning.

Thanks for the share @FreeD my problem is that most of the time it's manageable, it's just these bad flare ups that I struggle with. Like everyone I have a long list of 'things to do'

I also have bad flare ups...I know exactly how you feel...strenuous exercise definitely helps...

Alcohol unfortunately makes mine alot worse!

My dad has this, have to careful not to clap or make loud noises next to him. Really sympathise with anyone with it, must be awful. He puts it down to working in a couple factories when he was young.

My dad has this, have to careful not to clap or make loud noises next to him. Really sympathise with anyone with it, must be awful. He puts it down to working in a couple factories when he was young.

What's horrible is you can never experience silence. In the witching hours, when the house is quiet, the roads are quiet and you're lying in bed with your thoughts, it's just there, laughing at you!

I Have started wearing ear defenders when mixing up , and thinking of buying a fan to help blow dust out of a window , maybe too little to late , but i do think when your young you dont think of the long term problems till its too late , been wearing knee pad trousers for a while , which helps , but i must add its also others around you being other trades causing problems by there lack consideration , that probably is the worst thing for you .

I Have started wearing ear defenders when mixing up , and thinking of buying a fan to help blow dust out of a window , maybe too little to late , but i do think when your young you dont think of the long term problems till its too late , been wearing knee pad trousers for a while , which helps , but i must add its also others around you being other trades causing problems by there lack consideration , that probably is the worst thing for you .
why you wearing knee pad trousers

My Dad used to suffer from it, years of abuse from working in Engine rooms. He used to sleep on a hot water bottle, said it took a few days, but certainly helped.

I also have bad flare ups...I know exactly how you feel...strenuous exercise definitely helps...

Alcohol unfortunately makes mine alot worse!
Alcohol makes everything worse, it’s the devil. I’ve completely stopped drinking again now.

Well done Joe, I'm trying to head that way. Bloody hard though
I was an animal in my twenties with the booze and partying, completely stopped for four years and then would have just a couple now and then, but even if I only have two or three I feel rancid the day after now, it’s just breaking the habit that is key. For me it’s just better to steer clear altogether I’m much more productive in my life if I don’t drink whatsoever.