Timber frame

Status
Not open for further replies.

beddy

Building a timber garage at home and Was going to osb then shiplap it but now debating whether to acrylic it.

Im still going to osb it but can I just buy some 25mm polystyrene as a cheaper alternative to renderboard?

Also what fixings would I need? Seen some that are like a drywall screw with a large metal head, would they be ok?

Can I artex externally?

Yeah just use high build straight onto osb :RpS_wink:
Or wallcrete it straight onto osb, could do a shiplap wood effect :rolleyes)
Why you wanna insulate it you growing weed in there? :RpS_sneaky:

build it out of SIPS with a rubber roof you will have it up and water tight by dinner time
:RpS_thumbup:

It you put a closed cell insulation directly on the outside of a timber frame - like polystyrene, PIR or phenolic - you will trap the moisture in the timber inside the frame and after 5 or 10 years the studs will rot... If you want to insulate the outside of the frame, either fit a small cavity first, or use an open cell insulation - like Mineral wool or rockwool.

How much is aquapanel rich? Not fussed about insulating externally as will be insulating between the joists.

What company did you use for the rubber roofing mate? I was on a website a couple of weeks back. The vids made it look easy enough. I cant torch felt so was going to either get a mate to do it or use cold lay adhesive.

What Jessop is saying is true..... SIPs are GREAT!

A bit more expensive, but structure, insulation, airtightness and fire are all in one panel and they are easy to build (If you want a home doing, or something more structural, you would be better to get it build by a pro)

I will talk to you about these as well Marra - I know most of the SIP companies... SIP Eco Panels (as Jessop has tagged) is a very good company, and will teach you how to build them yourself - if you are prepared to travel to their factory in Scotland (I have been, great set up!)

I'd prefer it to be rendered rather than cladded so it looks brick built rather than a shed. Will speak to Ryan next week. Thanks everyone

Will do mate. Im definitely building it out of 4x2 cus I've got the door and windows already. Ryans giving me a call monday regarding render and ill phone the rubber roof people Monday too

Sweaty that. Would rott quick sharp.

You can use a cavity rail system if u want insulation but IMO these systems are not very effective thermally.
Best ways OSB membrane, 25mm batten, render board, render

I've worked out why he wants to insulate it now, it's for when the mrs kicks him out :RpS_laugh: The beddy Shed :RpS_thumbsup:

Sweaty that. Would rott quick sharp.

You can use a cavity rail system if u want insulation but IMO these systems are not very effective thermally.
Best ways OSB membrane, 25mm batten, render board, render

It being a garage Steve insulating the inside would be a lot cheaper I reckon.a lot easier also

As i said im insulating it internally i was hoping I could just use it as a cheap substrate. Happy to batten and board it if thats whats needed. Thanks everyone

Status
Not open for further replies.