Tiger Marks

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blade

Hello all

Nice to find a plasterers forum :RpS_thumbup: , can anyone shed some light on this problem , ive been plastering for many many years , but recently ive found my setting is getting tiger marks ( drags ) in it , tried using wetter , stiffer setting , watering it , keeping it dry , allsorts . Its not all the time but when it happens it wont trowel out :RpS_wink:

Any ideas

Blade

Most Of the time it is coursed by trowellin to fast or to much presure don't grip the trowell to tight a sponge float can cure the problem if court early:RpS_thumbup:

Ill give it a go thanks , ive been plastering for 30 years and to a pretty reasonable standard , but this is doing my head in

Blade

Cant say to much at the moment but I did a biggish job recently 2500m2 and we were having all kinds of problems with tiger stipes etc, British Gypsum came to site and took a few samples and have admitted liability due to a faulty product.

we are resolving the issue between us and I will report in full when the deal is done.

Rich

I spoke with BG rep recently about tiger stripes with board finish, and an issue with multi setting too quick he said that they had ballsed up the winter mixes as they make it set quicker to compensate for the cold weather and the gypsum they have used is too pure causing the stripes. They are now mixing the summer mixes and the bad stuff will phase out

Multi is deffo going off quicker, glad you said that, I laid on a 20m2 ceilng other day with a labe knocking up for me and was rushing round like a ****, normally get 20m2 on me own a piece of piss!

And regarding tiger stripes and dragging, I have also been getting this recently, the plaster is very playdoh like, needs water much earlier on!

At 1st i thought it was me as i dont plaster all the time now ,( paper work :huh:) i got a decent bunch of guys that do , but there getting the same problems , might give board finish a go and see if that makes a difference . Phoned BG tecnical and they said to mix by hand and finish off with drill , yeah right :RpS_sneaky:

Hey freerider i see your a biker and in surrey , me too

Blade

Blade Ive had exacty the same problem tearing that's interesting ckj fair play, chances are it'll happen again in the summer when they play with it again

Are ya blade? what you got dude? I had today off to go for a ride and facking started raining! (proper fair weather rider me)

richard, we had the same situation BG came out took a look and took pictures, this was 18 months/2 yrs ago maybe

i'll openly admit i get them in some of my work and never use to do 2/3yrs ago, i'v tried leaving it, going over it sooner, less water, not as much pressure, flatter trowel. just cant get rid of the problem same with my mate whose 30+ yrs in the trade.

BG said you are suppose to stand 1 meter away from wall, and sometime it looks ok but when natural light hits it the tiger stripes show up like F***.

i dont think thistle has been the same for about 3 years.

as for the mixing by hand/lenght of wood first, my old gaffer had my do this back in training days, it does helps you get the thickness, consistency right then mix with drill but i cant see it doing anything with tiger stripes/water marks

I think they maybe mixing old stock with new and just putting the old in a new bag and a longer date for use.

I used some board finish a couple of weeks ago and it just hung about. Multi today on board game set and match in an hour.

Got a bloke coming down from BG next week , hes bringing a sample of a new plaster and take a bag of mine , hope he pays for it :)

Freerider , ive had 3 blades , sold last one before xmas now on lookout for summit , like track days and am a Boxhill regular

Blade

I dont think over mixing helps the situation.I always mix with a stick then goto drill for a final blast at end only,and the lad that helps me when im really busy mixes from beging to end soley with the drill,i have definately noticed an increase in tiger stripes on his mixes.
often nowdays thers a tendency to mix from begining to end with mixer thus over mixing the plaster ******* up setting times thus problems with tiger stripes.
We all get them from time to time but i defo notice them more frequently when troweling to early if im in a rush to get done and if the mix has been over mixed.

if you ask me all these problems with bg plasters coincide with saint -gobain taking over approx 3 years ago

note to any solicitors reading this this is only my observation and doesnt represent the thoughts of this forum per sai

At 1st i thought it was me as i dont plaster all the time now ,( paper work :huh:) i got a decent bunch of guys that do , but there getting the same problems , might give board finish a go and see if that makes a difference . Phoned BG tecnical and they said to mix by hand and finish off with drill , yeah right :RpS_sneaky:

Hey freerider i see your a biker and in surrey , me too

Blade

Got a 600 bandit on the lookout for a kwak ZZR1400

If every bag leaves tiger marks then gear could be at fault but if it different amongst same batch can only be operator error !!!

not sure about operator error , ive got a few spreads and sometimes it happens to them all on some jobs , other times it does not happen at all , BG coming down Monday , ill let you know what they say

Blade

Got a bloke coming down from BG next week , hes bringing a sample of a new plaster and take a bag of mine , hope he pays for it :)

Freerider , ive had 3 blades , sold last one before xmas now on lookout for summit , like track days and am a Boxhill regular

Blade

Nice one! what made you sell? just looking for something newer? I got a gsxr600 k5, Ive still not been down boxhill yet, Im a bit of a larry, none of me mates ride so would feel like a t**t going there on me own!

Nice one! what made you sell? just looking for something newer? I got a gsxr600 k5, Ive still not been down boxhill yet, Im a bit of a larry, none of me mates ride so would feel like a t**t going there on me own!

I buy a new one every 3 or 4 years , looking at new blade or cb1000 now as i,m getting old , what part of surrey you in , i,m near Sutton

tiger stripes:confused:

wtf are those? not being funny or out,been a plasterer for 20 years and i havn't a clue what your on about.

Dont usually get tiger stripes unless you are laying on to thick especially round door linings just done a few flats and they were all painted in silk and the only places that you could see tiger stiping was around door linings.

Status
Not open for further replies.