Thoughts on this...

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

stuart23

Private Member
This is my house I've no long moved into and confused as what to do to outside after new windows go in. It's a heavy sandtex finish with loads of cracks but when tapped it's solid. The qoins look terrible as the sandtex comes over the top of them. I'm thinking of going straight over with a base coat meshed and pinned and topping with ft. Does that sound plausible or will all have to come off?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 418
All off for me or insulation boarded over it. U'll eat gear trying to get it flat might as well spend the money as an investment on it

Go over it SBR with cement base and mesh top it done loads of them never had a problem if it that soiled you'll do more damage hacking it off.

See if I was advising someone I'd say hack off as well but the amount of cash I've ploughed into this I'm just wanting to do it easiest way. Still got kitchen and windows to do so thought of full hack off is turning my stomach.

This is my house I've no long moved into and confused as what to do to outside after new windows go in. It's a heavy sandtex finish with loads of cracks but when tapped it's solid. The qoins look terrible as the sandtex comes over the top of them. I'm thinking of going straight over with a base coat meshed and pinned and topping with ft. Does that sound plausible or will all have to come off?

High build, not seen that in a while..

Hack off bud it's your house and your neighbours will be watching ;)

For a start them quoins are all over the place, I'd do what you think is best.
If you go for a sand an cement finish you'd save on materials, but go for a bagged render you'd save on labour?
If paints sound you could use parinter then monorex? You got the mesh base you can pin and a modern finish.
If s&c I wouldn't even think of going over what's there id hack off! But could get a labourer to do that.
On saying that a bagged finish would look s**t with how far those corners are running

The thing that's confusing me is you can see it is actual stone work going up external but looking at render next to it if I was to hack render of I would never get the 15mm needed for mono. I don't fancy trying to get the stone out so was wanting to stick a bead on and mesh a pin. If I was to hack of how would I overcome this if depth was say 8/10mm next to stone.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 396
I'd SBR it, Basecoat and mesh, do away with the quoins (Re-form if you like them) and Stonepack PE if you like mono. I'm not a massive fan of mono personally so much of it I see gets very dirty here in sunny Scotland.

I mostly use stonepack renders but never used or saw there scratch render so was going to stick with k rend. What's the scratch render like compared to k rend?

I would hack off as it is your own house and as said before your new neighbours will be watching.. would be a nice advert if it goes well :)

Status
Not open for further replies.