Thoughts on the sponge float

Members online

I can only comment about the sponge finishes on multi that ive witnessed, if I can liken it to rolling a turd in glitter on first inspection all looks well but get a bit closer and theres a distinct whiff of shite about it.
Once dry the surface was soft to the point of being powdery, small figure eight scratches visable square on from the middle of the room just generally an absolute abortion.
Maybe in the right hands its awesome but so's a trowel which is what I learnt to use at college. if the sponge was technically superior im sure all the training facilities would of cottoned on by now.
Imo it leaves a substandard finish with no benefit apart from getting out the gate 30mins early.
Each to their own like its just not for me.

i dont use it on all walls. It has its benefits though. In ireland we normally only use skimcoat, its not the best so the sponge comes out a fair bit. @scottie youre not supposed to figure 8 it or sponge it when its too soft. If its trowelled to late you'll see the lines off it. so yeah it will look shite if its not done right.

Hi guys
Sort of a newbie as i had an account a while back but forgot my username and password ao had to start a fresh.

I am a plasterer of 11 years experience. I have worked for an ALMO (arms length management organisation) setup by the local council ever since i left school. Recently they have expanded and have taken on more plasterers to meet work demand.

Meeting new guys has meant learning different stuff and different methods of work and a method i find is people having different ways of using a sponge float. Some put their 2 coat finish on then go over with it as they say its brings the fats out of the plaster and some people use it when they are loosing it and need to bring it back to life.

What are your thoughts on this and do you use one yourself?

Thanks for your time

oranges arent the only fruit, james. the forum is a broad church with many different views and beliefs. the sponge isnt wrong, its just different. many members get pumped about it without even trying it. give it a try. if it works for you and you like it, then carry on with it. if it doesnt, no harm done.

i dont use it on all walls. It has its benefits though. In ireland we normally only use skimcoat, its not the best so the sponge comes out a fair bit. @scottie youre not supposed to figure 8 it or sponge it when its too soft. If its trowelled to late you'll see the lines off it. so yeah it will look shite if its not done right.
Irish gyproc won't stand by the skim if it's sponged.

I use a sponge float lads. It's not for everyone I agree with you there but those who have said you cannot achieve a quality finish are talking nonsense or are just not a good enough spread to master it. This video shows you the basics of it guys but we all have our little differences in how it's used so there is no wrong or right in technique:

I use a sponge float lads. It's not for everyone I agree with you there but those who have said you cannot achieve a quality finish are talking nonsense or are just not a good enough spread to master it. This video shows you the basics of it guys but we all have our little differences in how it's used so there is no wrong or right in technique:

Im that good a spread I've managed to master a trowel.

Al i can see is your bringing the fat to the surface and finishing with that.
A Window cleaners shammy can do that followed by a trowel.
Troweling makes more of a mess than coating.
Why not just trowel it at the right time with the right pressure.

conditions dont always permit

What if it's about 6 to 8mm in places?
Door frames too big etc?

It should be done whilst still wet before flattening, therefore you aren't bringing fat up.

It's not about timing or not being able to use a trowel.

Loving the negative responders on these threads that obviously haven't tried it, whilst speedskims, spats, superflexes are all ok though.
It's a lovely trick to have in the right circumstances

Loving the negative responders on these threads that obviously haven't tried it, whilst speedskims, spats, superflexes are all ok though.

What other circumstances apart from excessive thicknesses are you thinking about in particular? .
Im not having a pop im just curious im struggling to see whats the benefit of spraying all that water about, then using one for example to scour 2mm of finish on board on a small wall or ceiling.
I know gangs pulling them out as a matter of course for every single gauge and its seldom pretty.
i have used sponge floats many times on most things apart from multi it just seems a bit pointless and unnecessary.

What other circumstances apart from excessive thicknesses are you thinking about in particular? .
Im not having a pop im just curious im struggling to see whats the benefit of spraying all that water about, then using one for example to scour 2mm of finish on board on a small wall or ceiling.
I know gangs pulling them out as a matter of course for every single gauge and its seldom pretty.
i have used sponge floats many times on most things apart from multi it just seems a bit pointless and unnecessary.

Just excessive thickness is the only reason tbh, whether it be on reskims or upto door frames etc.
I repeat, there should be no need for them under normal circumstances, but if done correctly the finish is bob on, with not a fat mark in sight.
It shouldn't be used after flattening.
There should be no need for 'throwing water about', if a coarser grade sponge is used its a lot easier to drag over the finish, the finer ones are where you might see lads lashing water about so it's easier on the arm.

These lads that are using them as a matter of course are maybe just poor spreads??
Whether they use a sponge or not?
There's feckin hundreds of s**t spreads that don't use them as well?

I just find it funny that the attitude of various posters towards others that do or have used them is that they must be sh1t or some other derogatory remark.
[emoji106]

Just excessive thickness is the only reason tbh, whether it be on reskims or upto door frames etc.
I repeat, there should be no need for them under normal circumstances, but if done correctly the finish is bob on, with not a fat mark in sight.
It shouldn't be used after flattening.
There should be no need for 'throwing water about', if a coarser grade sponge is used its a lot easier to drag over the finish, the finer ones are where you might see lads lashing water about so it's easier on the arm.

These lads that are using them as a matter of course are maybe just poor spreads??
Whether they use a sponge or not?
There's feckin hundreds of s**t spreads that don't use them as well?

I just find it funny that the attitude of various posters towards others that do or have used them is that they must be sh1t or some other derogatory remark.
[emoji106]

Fair enough although it Swings both ways keiren obviously if its suggested that the reason someone won't use one is because there not a good enough spread to, could also be viewed as maybe the reason they don't use one is because there good enough not to have to.
But your definatly bang on regarding all the chancers who are s**t no matter what they finish with.

Yes im negative Big K because I can trowel skim on walls flat from the off and don't have to f**k around with sponges.... I don't see how a sponge would better my finish so why would I try it ??

Yes im negative Big K because I can trowel skim on walls flat from the off and don't have to f**k around with sponges.... I don't see how a sponge would better my finish so why would I try it ??

So when the skim is deep and you try to flatten it it doesn't move under the trowel?

I didn't mean on the thicker skim I just ment on say board work or a flat existing wall as too the benefit ... I actually do see what you mean as it wouldn't disturb it like a trowel so apologies for not explaining myself on that part of my post or answering that bit of your post either ... be good to see a video of it being used and close ups like say the s/f the lads did on here ... id genuinely give it a go if it saved time etc and also eat my words ...

I did bathroom wall today with the sponge. I put on one heavy coat. had the skim mixed a bit stiffer. I left the first coat for about 15 min then sponge it then give it a trowel with my mt. Then a while later hit it with the super flex 2 more times wall finished I hope lol. The wall is being tiled so I don't mind how it looks. I'll take a picture up close Monday and I'll post it here. Good or bad finish.

Cool be interesting to see ..... always open to new ideas / techniques ... something ive learnt a s**t load off here and adapted .... if it saved me time on a small patch job etc id use it !!

Good example a couple of weeks ago, doorway blocked up with stud & board, board way behind existing wall, now we all know the right way would be bond it & skim, but was around 7mm at a guess, actually ran the Straight edge up it with skim.
Sponged, flattened and troweled up in one instead of wasting a day looking at a doorway waiting for bonding to go off and then skim it.