Thoughts on my plastering (first time ever)

Maxski14

Hi all,

Just got done plastering the ceiling in one of the rooms on an extension I’m building at home.

Both coats felt like they went on really well, although I probably left it a bit long after the second coat as troweling up all the little indentations was a right pain (there are a couple still there).
I’m guessing I can just fill and sand these down with filler once it’s all dry?

Next time I’m going to trowel flat my second coat straight after I have laid it on instead of waiting about for too long.

What are your thoughts? Good/bad? Any tips?

Thanks a lot

Looks good. Hard to say with plasterin n pictures tho. Took this after laying in and not even neatly was throwing it on but in pic looks better

Hi all,

Just got done plastering the ceiling in one of the rooms on an extension I’m building at home.

Both coats felt like they went on really well, although I probably left it a bit long after the second coat as troweling up all the little indentations was a right pain (there are a couple still there).

Next time I’m going to trowel flat my second coat straight after I have laid it on instead of waiting about for too long.

Thanks a lot View attachment 31641
Always hard to tell from a picture. Doesn't look great though. When that starts to dry you'll see every imperfection and even more so when you paint. Sounds like you know what you did wrong though

I think it’s good if its a first go.

You can see where you’ve had to overcompensate with fat etc. You’ll know how well you’ve done once it’s dried, more so once it’s painted, and for sure when light hits it!

Fair play

Hi all,

Thanks a lot View attachment 31641
Yes your right flatten off 2nd coat soon as you wash out . Then leave it . Oh and put more that 2 screws in your reveals

Thanks for all the feedback!

As long as it doesn’t come off the ceiling I’ll be happy haha. I’m going to give it a mist coat with watered down emulsion and then fill in any rough bits with easy fill, hopefully that’ll make it look better in the light.

If it ends up looking really bad I’ll just reskim the whole lot. Quite enjoyed doing it and wouldn’t mind the practice :)

As long as it doesn’t come off the ceiling I’ll be happy haha. I’m going to give it a mist coat with watered down emulsion and then fill in any rough bits with easy fill, hopefully that’ll make it look better in the light.

If it ends up looking really bad I’ll just reskim the whole lot. Quite enjoyed doing it and wouldn’t mind the practice :)
As noted though you put 2 screws in the reveals... How many did you put in each board?! As it probably won't take much more weight lol

As noted though you put 2 screws in the reveals... How many did you put in each board?! As it probably won't take much more weight lol
They’re dabbed then screwed into battons. Also put grab adhesive along the top edge before slotting it into the roof light slot. I used the screws to hold it in position whilst the dab adhesive went off.
Each board on the ceiling has 6 screws per joist.

They’re dabbed then screwed into battons. Also put grab adhesive along the top edge before slotting it into the roof light slot. I used the screws to hold it in position whilst the dab adhesive went off.
Each board on the ceiling has 6 screws per joist.
Need at least 20 per joist. Clear the house. That shits coming down

This stuff