Thistle Plasters Q&A

Yes. We test MultiFinish (and all plasters) on many different backgrounds and because of the tests that we do we are able to state which backgrounds are right for each plaster.

We have plasterers who prefer BoardFinish over Multi and we have plasterers who prefer Multi over BoardFinish. In those cases many will only use one over the other which is the reason why we offer both products, so you have the choice.
So what do think all the plasterers are doing wrong as you have stated many times on other forums you have not changed the product or put anything else in it and there must have been times while testing your products for different situations or that someone has made a mistake or is it that your perfect just like your multi

A variation in a natural product is understandable. Is this variation mainly seaso related?

No. The variations we're talking about are due to the natural variations in rocks that we mine. Anything seasonal would happen in the conditions that you're applying product.

my son and myself work together, what we have noticed using multi. is the changing of trowels . At one time I was finishing with a refina flex with my son finishing with a marshalltown stainless. if I had used the refina on an area the plaster would tear if he came over with his trowel. We now both use marshalltown gold back stainless and on the final finish marshalltown super flex, with no problems from the material.

@malc @lurpak

It’s totally dependent on the individual and what works best for them, be it plastic or steel. Each plasterer will have a difference of opinion on what works best and it is down to the easiest method that fits their needs.

No. The variations we're talking about are due to the natural variations in rocks that we mine. Anything seasonal would happen in the conditions that you're applying product.

Ok so that rules out the anaual setting adjustment as a potential issue.

In the last 6 months, have you had more complaints about finish plaster than previously

So what do think all the plasterers are doing wrong as you have stated many times on other forums you have not changed the product or put anything else in it and there must have been times while testing your products for different situations or that someone has made a mistake or is it that your perfect just like your multi

Unfortunately we don’t get to test as many bad batches as you would think, as we don’t get many back to test. Without our investigation, we can't conclude what could be at fault.

If you do get a bad batch, we need you take a picture of the side of the bag, save the bag and a sample of product, email us your details to thistleplaster@saint-gobain.com and we will come out to you to collect the sample for testing.

Ok so that rules out the anaual setting adjustment as a potential issue.

In the last 6 months, have you had more complaints about finish plaster than previously

We haven't had any more complaints than normal, but we have heard and seen some on social media, which is why we are doing this Q&A and why we are asking for you to send us your samples, so we can investigate.

Do the premium plasters uni, pure etc go through a further or more rigourous refining procedure than multi and board do. Not tried pure but uni was consistent and people seem to be saying the same about pure

i am not going into details with my bitter experience with you so ill ask the question strait!

you say you cant guarantee the same quality for every bag,first time you are admitting it publicly btw,but you are doing your best.
You say plaster sets differently,which again is the first time you are admitting publicly.
British gypsum is way deep into recycling but you say, we dont reuse .b*ll***s to that !
and here is my question:
How does BG covers its standards on site and what is acceptable finish in this case ?
And last but not least how do you expect us to guarantee good finish, when we dont know whats in the bag and what will happen when you put it on the wall.On domestics you have time ,no problem, but not on site.With the prices on site you have to work like steaming machine to make it worth and cant afford the plaster to react differently. In cases like this whats you approach to jobs with appalling finish where the plaster is as much to blame as the plasterer. Do you cover loses ?
Thanks

I think the relationship with us could be better. Listen to what we think needs improvement and what products we would like to have.

@Donzo Great, we're here to listen. We have 3 Plaster Demonstrators, who are here to listen to you, and understand what products would be beneficial to you. It would be great for you to get in touch with one of them to share your ideas. Their contact details can be found here: https://www.british-gypsum.com/product-range/plaster-products/plaster-demonstrator

my son and myself work together, what we have noticed using multi. is the changing of trowels . At one time I was finishing with a refina flex with my son finishing with a marshalltown stainless. if I had used the refina on an area the plaster would tear if he came over with his trowel. We now both use marshalltown gold back stainless and on the final finish marshalltown super flex, with no problems from the material.

@malc @lurpak

It’s totally dependent on the individual and what works best for them, be it plastic or steel. Each plasterer will have a difference of opinion on what works best and it is down to the easiest method that fits their needs.
legally speaking thats not what the bag says! How would i know what trowel to use if i am buying your product for first time? You clearly state the method and timing ,but not the variable toolsyou have to use at different stages .have you considered changing the method statement in general, and including the use of a sponge ,because thats the only tool that actually guarantees good finish every time?

Do the premium plasters uni, pure etc go through a further or more rigourous refining procedure than multi and board do. Not tried pure but uni was consistent and people seem to be saying the same about pure

The premium plasters are made differently, but all of our plasters go through a similar process of manufacture.

I think your forums and Q&A have all been very politically correct —— it’s not us ....it must be you but without saying it ...or there’s nothing wrong send us a bag and we will have a look ..... you should go into politics

legally speaking thats not what the bag says! How would i know what trowel to use if i am buying your product for first time? You clearly state the method and timing ,but not the variable toolsyou have to use at different stages .have you considered changing the method statement in general, and including the use of a sponge ,because thats the only tool that actually guarantees good finish every time?

Plasterers usually develop their preferred trowel through training and experience. Our products are designed to be used with many different tools and therefore we wouldn't be able to state a specific tool for use.

Plasterers usually develop their preferred trowel through training and experience. Our products are designed to be used with many different tools and therefore we wouldn't be able to state a specific tool for use.
what about my previous post? whats your take on it or you still waiting for the solicitors answer.i am sure you dont have 3 plasterers with you if it takes so long to answer strait questions

Crikey my memory really is getting bad, I could have sworn that I asked a question way back on this thread? Perhaps they didn't 'like' the question?

So you now make more different types of finish plaster than ever before, but refuse to make the core products truly suitable for use, dedicated plasters for different backgrounds, just like years ago. Are you familiar with the saying 'if it isn't broken don't try to fix it'? Well this is exactly what you're guilty of.

BoardFinish is made for low suction, Multi is made for medium suction. What we have seen in the 20 odd years since Carlite has been discontinued is that the number of substrates that are plastered has changed and predominantly plasterboard is the main background.

British gypsum is way deep into recycling but you say, we dont reuse .b*ll***s to that !
and here is my question:
How does BG covers its standards on site and what is acceptable finish in this case ?
And last but not least how do you expect us to guarantee good finish, when we dont know whats in the bag and what will happen when you put it on the wall.On domestics you have time ,no problem, but not on site.With the prices on site you have to work like steaming machine to make it worth and cant afford the plaster to react differently. In cases like this whats you approach to jobs with appalling finish where the plaster is as much to blame as the plasterer. Do you cover loses ?
Thanks

First things first, to be absolutely clear, we recycle plasterboards and are very commited to this.
We do not put any recycled product into plasters. That is what we stated.

The variations we are talking about, is the mined Gypsum. The variations should not effect the acceptable finish.

We need samples back to have an investigation so that we can comment and resolve any issues that relate to that. If you do get a batch that you feel is a problem, take a photo of the side of the bag, keep a sample and email us your contact details and location to thistleplaster@saint-gobain.com and we can start an investigation.

First things first, to be absolutely clear, we recycle plasterboards and are very commited to this.

The variations we are talking about, is the mined Gypsum. The variations should not effect the acceptable finish.

We need samples back to have an investigation so that we can comment and resolve any issues that relate to that. If you do get a batch that you feel is a problem, take a photo of the side of the bag, keep a sample and email us your contact details and location to thistleplaster@saint-gobain.com and we can start an investigation.
So f**k**g boring

We need samples back to have an investigation so that we can comment and resolve any issues that relate to that. If you do get a batch that you feel is problem, take a photo of the side of the bag, keep a sample and email us your contact details and location to thistleplaster@saint-gobain.com and we can start an investigation.
i have been already there ..... mate...!!!!!!! we had this almost same conversation years ago on site ! I did for you field test with 3 random bags which you chose and applied into 3 different sections on the same wall . Gear was mixed with the same amount of water ,applied at the same time and in the same way.We agreed on site that there was something wrong and you took samples and batch number. I thought i got my point across and was hoping for positive answer,only to receive an email a week later stating the same bs you are tipping now and concluding THERE WAS NOTHING WRONG WITH THE GEAR!
I mean, seriously? why wasting our time and trying to tell me the same s**t in a diferent way when we all know nothing will change-youll continue recycling and we will keep moaning and untill your s**t is cheap enough we gonna use it, but boy.......if you had competitor on the market that would have been completely different scenario.

here is my conclusion -BG should stand for b*ll***s Gypsum and we should get paid extra for the extra work we put on to get it right.

Well I'm glad thats cleared up all the issues we've all (baring a few) had with the plasterboard and finish plasters.