Thistle Plasters Q&A

Members online

spent an hour on phone this week to bg first then formula the casting plaster makers its 80 bags or f/all internet sales want £30 per bag delivery plus £14 a bag so think I will call it a day cant be f**k*d anymore just turned 2 jobs down this week just going to do a few patching jobs kitchens etc THANKS ST GOBAIN
If you have a fair few enquiries why don't you buy a pallet stick it in your garage and job done? If you haven't any storage usually you can rent a garage from council for 35 a month or a sled storage place for similar money. But in the past when we had to order materials in and shirt of space the merchant stored it for us and we just collected as and when, obvious had to pay for it in full.

I
IMG_20181121_171214.jpg

Good job I'm Not easily offended ...I'd post some pics of my current loft conversion but know there'd be a load of internet warriors getting off on it finding a bead a mil out and getting a little self satisfied erection
You should know by now that it's only banter. You bady.

Are you all saying it’s just multi your having issues with, just we used 15 bags of board finish yesterday of which I would say five bags we had issues with, exactly the same as your all saying your having with multi, tearing , greasy, marking, and some areas on the same wall rock hard some still wet, all over fresh board work, I’m more thinking that this could have been down to poor storage at travis rather than an issue with the gear, but if other ppl have had this with board it would put my mind at rest.
There’s obviously an issue somewhere but you can guarantee that no one will admit it.

Are you all saying it’s just multi your having issues with, just we used 15 bags of board finish yesterday of which I would say five bags we had issues with, exactly the same as your all saying your having with multi, tearing , greasy, marking, and some areas on the same wall rock hard some still wet, all over fresh board work, I’m more thinking that this could have been down to poor storage at travis rather than an issue with the gear, but if other ppl have had this with board it would put my mind at rest.
There’s obviously an issue somewhere but you can guarantee that no one will admit it.

Both board and multi. I hoped it was storage issues but i use so many different suppliers it makes no difference

It’s got ridiculous, it’s happening to so many now. Spoke to a spread this morning older one and he described it as “fluffy”

Thank you @malc, so few left to remember the good gear. How easy was it to use the coarser gear?

Sirapite was easy as you had more control . if you wanted a fast hit on a set of reveals just neat Sirapite this would set in about 15 min. you could then drop the rules and lay the room on. Sirapite, double handful of lime and a measure of thistle board finish. a plasterer on day work would be expected to set 2 rooms a day on a standard site house.

Unless they've changed the Spray Finish since release I can't understand how you'd think that is a decent bit of gear to use? Even BG advised the need for a plasi trowel to stop it tearing in the latter stages of trowelling up.
I’m trying to stay out of this thread but you are kind of correct Andy mate , the spray finish pulls in really quick at the end compared to other skim which are a more gradual set in comparison, think this this due to size of hit that can be achieved with spray finish to give a longer time in middle of set as such to get flatten and nearly finished then just a quick soft flick over at the end , all other skim plasters start to pull in a lot earlier stage after being applied compared to thistle spray mate

I’m trying to stay out of this thread but you are kind of correct Andy mate , the spray finish pulls in really quick at the end compared to other skim which are a more gradual set in comparison, think this this due to size of hit that can be achieved with spray finish to give a longer time in middle of set as such to get flatten and nearly finished then just a quick soft flick over at the end , all other skim plasters start to pull in a lot earlier stage after being applied compared to thistle spray mate
Personally I think that it tore because it was even finer than Multifinish, and bare in mind that people are moaning about Multifinish often tearing towards the end of a set.
We were given a whole pallet of Spray Finish as part of the deal when we bought our Ritmo so I've had a reasonable play with it.
Why it was made so fine is beyond me when it's intended purpose was to only go onto a low suction background?
I'm guessing that there are just too many yes men in the R&D section of BG. Or people that just haven't got a clue what's required of a finish plaster.

Personally I think that it tore because it was even finer than Multifinish, and bare in mind that people are moaning about Multifinish often tearing towards the end of a set.
We were given a whole pallet of Spray Finish as part of the deal when we bought our Ritmo so I've had a reasonable play with it.
Why it was made so fine is beyond me when it's intended purpose was to only go onto a low suction background?
I'm guessing that there are just too many yes men in the R&D section of BG. Or people that just haven't got a clue what's required of a finish plaster.
The only picture I could find that might show what I meant mate , two times over that tbh I felt could of left it like that and it paint up ok but left it for another 15 minutes ish then a soft cross trowel was sufficient
That material I’ve used on reskim too tbh which I was advised not too, tbf the best results with spray finish are on perfectly flat boards , filling out with it doesn’t go well tbf but is possible if reskimming with it
Definitely have to adjust trowel timings with it though as said but nice material imo
2127E222-C087-4821-AB8C-DC49D325D2E9.jpeg

If you have a fair few enquiries why don't you buy a pallet stick it in your garage and job done? If you haven't any storage usually you can rent a garage from council for 35 a month or a sled storage place for similar money. But in the past when we had to order materials in and shirt of space the merchant stored it for us and we just collected as and when, obvious had to pay for it in full.
I have work shop keep iin fibre glass tanks. but £1000 plus at my time of life is a no go cant say how long I will work for bought 40 bags last time took 20 left some in merchants they got walked on ripped open some went walkabout last job I did was 74 feet big Victorian stuff but only took 10 bags so maybe u see where im coming from 10 a time is enough

Hi, we're getting ready for the Q&A session.

If you have any questions please let us know.
We will be replying to the questions you have posted already in a minute or two.

We will be replying to the questions you have posted already in a minute or two.
U are all c**t at bg you have never never change setting time for when your past 50 u c**ts

@Olican @JessThePlasterer

In response to your question about the reasons for good and bad batches, Gypsum as you know, is a natural product, a sedimentary rock which although we do mix it together very well, changes slightly.

For example the mine at Barrow covers an area close to 9 sq. miles so it is inevitable that some variations will occur. We do our very best to maintain a consistent standard however due to the volume we produce it is impossible to test every single batch.

We make tens of batches a day, so the information you give us is vital for us to understand where it was produced and when.

@Olican @JessThePlasterer

Can you provide everybody with pure finish in the standard merchants and wickes etc so we have the choice?

We’re working with the merchants to get more stocking positions around the country. Our stumbling block is that when we put it into merchants the pallet doesn’t always sell as they expect it to so they become reluctant to take another pallet.

What we’re doing is taking all of these requests and feeding them back to the merchant so they understand what plasterers need.

They won’t stock it if it doesn’t sell but we’re working with them to help you get hold of it.

As part of this Q&A, if you genuinely want to buy these products, let us know your contact details and location via thistleplaster@saint-gobain.com and we will take it up with your local merchant.

Bg all you have do is put my body though pain

I think a lot of people are finding it hard to control how multi finish is acting on different backgrounds do you test the product on different backgrounds and would it not be simpler to go back to have board finish and one for product for older backgrounds because so many people are having problems you must see this

Why is the plasterboard bad to cut....

@Olican & @JessThePlasterer asked a similar question:

Why have BG boards become so fragile?

What you may be noticing is a change to natural rock, away from synthetic rock and the characteristics are different. It shouldn't give you difficulties but it will feel different to boards in the past.

We try to balance board flexibility for the different types of stud you might fix onto and our boards are designed to withstand typical use without breaking. If you're having difficulties we need to have the product back to understand the fault, so that we can investigate. If you could keep a sample of the product and take a picture of the code on the back of board, email us your contact details and location we will investigate.

@Olican & @JessThePlasterer asked a similar question:

Why have BG boards become so fragile?

What you may be noticing is a change to natural rock, away from synthetic rock and the characteristics are different. It shouldn't give you difficulties but it will feel different to boards in the past.

We try to balance board flexibility for the different types of stud you might fix onto and our boards are designed to withstand typical use without breaking. If you're having difficulties we need to have the product back to understand the fault, so that we can investigate. If you could keep a sample of the product and take a picture of the code on the back of board, email us your contact details and location we will investigate.
Ok thanks for your replies (y)

I think a lot of people are finding it hard to control how multi finish is acting on different backgrounds do you test the product on different backgrounds and would it not be simpler to go back to have board finish and one for product for older backgrounds because so many people are having problems you must see this

Yes. We test MultiFinish (and all plasters) on many different backgrounds and because of the tests that we do we are able to state which backgrounds are right for each plaster.

We have plasterers who prefer BoardFinish over Multi and we have plasterers who prefer Multi over BoardFinish. In those cases many will only use one over the other which is the reason why we offer both products, so you have the choice.

For the real people with real questions and concerns why doesn’t BG set up a day at their plant rather than posting questions and feel nothing has been done.

@Dansouthcoast84 We do organise days on site for plasterers to see the mines and plant in action. We have done 2 tours with TPF in the past.

As we don’t shut down on these days, we have to limit the number of people at one time to 5-10 to ensure safety.

Unfortunately a regular occurrence with these events is that we receive a high amount of drop outs on the day. Most recently there was a max of 10 plasterers for a day on site; all confirmed their attendance on more than one occasion, sadly only 3 turned up.

We have to take this into account and have reduced the number of days we organise on site each year, so to not disrupt normal service.

However, we are looking to organise something early next year so keep an eye out on Facebook, Twitter and our newsletter as this is where we’ll share the dates.