Thistle Magnetic Plaster Q&A

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

BritishGypsum

Hi all,

You may remember a couple of months ago we held a Thistle UniFinish Q&A and following your feedback our next session is going to be on Thistle Magnetic Plaster.

This Friday, (June 12th) Plaster Product Manager, Paul Cassidy, will be online between 4-5pm to answer all your Magnetic Plaster questions. Like last time, you can join us live or just post your questions below and we'll get back to you.

We'll also pick one person who takes part to win a polo shirt, just for a bit of fun :)

See you there!

I still havrnt seen any magnetic in any merchants in my area. ( portsmouth).

Would like to try it though.

Unrelated question. Is there anyone who could give me a call if you have a system for swimming pool rooms.

Thanks

Dan

It's advised to not polish the gear but it's being painted so it should make no odds? Why has it been priced so high I can see its a unique product but the price makes it difficult to sell coz most people want a wall which on average is about 8m (my opinion) and this will need two bags then the labour makes it look very expensive but I do think it will sell but not on the scale you may want. what is it that makes it magnetic and is it the cost of this that pushed the price up? Have you tried it with wallpaper yet? I was going to on my last wall but never got a chance but think it would struggle in small magnets. Have you noticed certain paints makes it lose its magneticity ( if that's a word? And if it is it should be word of the week) because it has a smoother finish. By the way I think it is a marvellous product and could take off but for some reason it's going very slow.

Hi Paul, with growing interest in the product amongst forum members and the ongoing partnership you have with the forum itself, would you consider offering members a chance to have 4-5 bags at something closer to cost price?

The problem i see with the product is that most agree its a good idea for feature walls but all agree its over priced in the domestic market especially as most of us can't vouch for it having never used it. I'd like a feature wall in my home but i wouldn't risk £80+ a bag on it so how could i expect a customer too. If we'd used and lived with the product though its easier to get excited about it and discuss it with a customer

Oh it works that's not an issue and it's nice to use I wouldn't worry about that

Im not worried about the product staying on the wall or not being effective im worried about me messing up the wall with a product i haven't used before thats so expensive.

We had a house warming party and the magnetic walls were definitely a talking point for a lot of people... Price is a factor though....

What we have done is just use one bag but in reach of about 1.8 high and mix skim at the same time to put on the other 900 ( top of wall)
It's hard to trowel at first with the magnetic being draggy against the multi but once picked up it finishes spot on!
Clientele will pay if they are at the rich end but I think @BritishGypsum have made it for the elite!!
Nice product but bit like other high end finishes and personally think it will stay that way.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Hi all, we're here with Paul Cassidy to answer your questions on Thistle Magnetic Plaster for the next hour! We'll get started with the questions you've already sent in...

I still havrnt seen any magnetic in any merchants in my area. ( portsmouth).

Would like to try it though.

Unrelated question. Is there anyone who could give me a call if you have a system for swimming pool rooms.

Thanks

Dan

Hi @Dansouthcoast84, it’s available through any of our normal stockists, national and local merchants as well as some retailers. Even if they don't stock the product they can get from us by ordering 1 bag at a time – we've set this up so plasterers will only ever need to get in what they need for the job. Merchants can order in single bags easily from us so if you are having problems with ordering from merchants please ask them to call our sales team and we will sort out for them. It’s also available through Wickes and SIG online.

In relation swimming pool room question, we'll ask Technical Advice to give you a call!

Hi mate. Jurek here. Why is it eighty a bag? Why dont you sell it in b and q? Whats the heaviest item that will stick to it. In kilograms. Thamks

Hi Paul, with growing interest in the product amongst forum members and the ongoing partnership you have with the forum itself, would you consider offering members a chance to have 4-5 bags at something closer to cost price?

The problem i see with the product is that most agree its a good idea for feature walls but all agree its over priced in the domestic market especially as most of us can't vouch for it having never used it. I'd like a feature wall in my home but i wouldn't risk £80+ a bag on it so how could i expect a customer too. If we'd used and lived with the product though its easier to get excited about it and discuss it with a customer

Hi @thebearbeef, we know it can be difficult to get your customers interested about a new product, so to help get them excited we’ve been going to a lot of trade shows like Grand Designs to show-off how Magnetic Plaster works. In terms of application, the skills are the same so you don’t need to worry about this – the only difference is that it needs to be a minimum of 3mm thickness and we recommend 5 or 6mm as a best guide, as this gives the maximum attraction. If you’re still unsure, we’d be happy to organise a training day at our Technical Academy, where forum members can get to grips with it!

will it damage my smartphone - LGG3 unlimited data calls and texts - as i have a cover for the phone that an hold credit cards and they stopped working because the magnetic something in the phone wiped the strip on them. actually it would be the cards wouldnt it. can it damage the magnetic strip on credit and debit cards. just in case of someback form customers. thanks

It's advised to not polish the gear but it's being painted so it should make no odds?

Hi @flynnyman, good question, the reason we advise against this is because magnets are already highly polished so doing this to both surfaces increases the chances of them slipping down, and this is the same even with paint applied

Why has it been priced so high I can see its a unique product but the price makes it difficult to sell coz most people want a wall which on average is about 8m (my opinion) and this will need two bags then the labour makes it look very expensive but I do think it will sell but not on the scale you may want. what is it that makes it magnetic and is it the cost of this that pushed the price up?

There’s a much greater number of different raw materials needed to make Magnetic Plaster which makes it more costly to create. It’s also more costly and time consuming to manufacture, so this is why it is a more expensive product

Have you tried it with wallpaper yet? I was going to on my last wall but never got a chance but think it would struggle in small magnets.

Yes, and this works but it is dependent on the strength of the magnets you use

Have you noticed certain paints makes it lose its magneticity ( if that's a word? And if it is it should be word of the week) because it has a smoother finish.

We’ve not come across any paint that has had this effect, and we haven’t come across that word either (definitely word of the week)

By the way I think it is a marvellous product and could take off but for some reason it's going very slow.

Thanks!

Hi paul I use a carbon trowel , one problem I can't move the trowel cos of the magnets in the wall, do u think I need to use a stainless steel trowel ?

Hi @superspread, Ideally, we’d recommend using a diamond coated trowel, for best results.

Joking aside, Magnetic Plaster only attracts magnets so you must be using a magnetic trowel (we hear they’re quite rare? If you find one we'll have one.)

Cheers I have noticed it lose its magneticity with a certain emulsion then when painted over with a different emulsion it came back just as strong.

What we have done is just use one bag but in reach of about 1.8 high and mix skim at the same time to put on the other 900 ( top of wall)
It's hard to trowel at first with the magnetic being draggy against the multi but once picked up it finishes spot on!
Clientele will pay if they are at the rich end but I think @BritishGypsum have made it for the elite!!
Nice product but bit like other high end finishes and personally think it will stay that way.
View attachment 5624View attachment 5626 View attachment 5627

Hi @Kylewesley, first of all, nice work there! Thanks for the pictures. Obviously, Magnetic Plaster isn’t going to be used in every house but we certainly didn’t make it for the ‘elite’ and there are some really good opportunities to use it.

When we were planning the product, we spoke to a lot of different homeowners who all said they’d be interested in using the product and who weren’t put off by the price. Even renters said that a Magnetic wall would be useful and they wouldn’t mind leaving it behind and we’ve heard this a lot at the exhibitions we’ve been to. In terms of where they’d use it, it really came across that any good wall has the potential to be a Magnetic wall whether in a new or existing home – children’s bedrooms, kitchens and home offices were the most popular suggestions.

Hopefully that’s useful for when you’re selling it to customers – we know it’s not always easy so that’s why we’ve been talking to them directly to drum up interest.

But, if there’s any ways you can think of that would help you when you’re telling your customers about Magnetic Plaster, please let us know!

Hi @Dansouthcoast84, it’s available through any of our normal stockists, national and local merchants as well as some retailers. Even if they don't stock the product they can get from us by ordering 1 bag at a time – we've set this up so plasterers will only ever need to get in what they need for the job. Merchants can order in single bags easily from us so if you are having problems with ordering from merchants please ask them to call our sales team and we will sort out for them. It’s also available through Wickes and SIG online.

In relation swimming pool room question, we'll ask Technical Advice to give you a call!
Thankyou

Hi mate. Jurek here. Why is it eighty a bag? Why dont you sell it in b and q? Whats the heaviest item that will stick to it. In kilograms. Thamks

Hi @Jurek, thanks for posting, the reason it's this price is because there’s a more different raw materials used than in other plasters. This makes it more expensive to manufacture, and also more time consuming, hence the higher price overall.

In terms of B&Q, it has been offered and they've not taken it up so far , but if you ask for it they would be able to order it in single bags just as other merchants can. If you have any trouble give us a call and we can sort it out!

In terms of the weight that can be held, we tested a lot of different things (and had plenty of fun with it!) but it comes down to the strength of the magnet. Do bear in mind though, gravity is not our friend here, so while it might keep something heavy stuck to the wall it might still slide down it!

will it damage my smartphone - LGG3 unlimited data calls and texts - as i have a cover for the phone that an hold credit cards and they stopped working because the magnetic something in the phone wiped the strip on them. actually it would be the cards wouldnt it. can it damage the magnetic strip on credit and debit cards. just in case of someback form customers. thanks

No, it wouldn't as the plaster isn't magnetic - it just attracts magnets - so it's the same for pacemakers, wifi, cutlery etc as well! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.