Thistle Bond it v PVA

Members online

Hi Guys getting my teeth into plastering 2 Victorian Terraces Houses starting as of next week . As mostly I do domestic plastering I’m in & out within a few days depending on the size of the job . So normally go down the route of 2 coats of PVA . As you know Terraced houses are old lime & dry as you like , so might need 3 coats of PVA . My question to you guys is have you used Thisle Bond it on a whole house . I was thinking it would save time prepping with only 1 coat on the walls , rather than minimum 2 coats . I’ve done work for the borough council & they use it all the time . Customers paying for all materials. Appreciate some feedback on this . Thx

Use most expensive stuff if customers paying lol. I got some of this in shed gonna dig it out n try it. Though does it kill suction on high suction back ground

Bond it all the way if you have option. I prefer bostik stabilising primer for those type of walls.

It's sooooo expensive though when you can get pre grit on eBay 10litres £20 or selco do one bout 40 but it spreads really far and all does the same job. We always would rather pre grit than pva so time saving!

I’ve only used thistle Bond it , I’ve seen a cheaper version of it the blue stuff , but never used it . Your correct thigh cheapest I got it for was from Travis Perkins for £56 as he’d price match . I had to open a an account with them else it would’ve been £75 robbing bleeders ...

Bond-it every time for me. Expensive but works. Priced in to the job so no problem there.
My local TP are s**t hot on prices and will match/beat anything going.
Best before on lid is b*ll***s, I've used it well outside date and it looks the same, smells the same, works the same.
I've same dayed on it too with no bother (in warm temps).

Get a labourer in to blast all the walls before you get there. Easy peasy.

I find the grit does kill the suction mate but there will be one or two on here for some reason that would disagree..
If it’s high suction lime walls then a coat of pva then a grit will give you all the time that you need..
When skimming over grit give it a tickle with the sponge float and it will trowel up lovely..

Mate what you need to remember is if the walls are lime Plaster in old properties then a lick of pva first will def help you..
These walls can be bone dry so just the grit alone might not be enough to stop the suction..
At the end of the day you are not paying for the materials so who gives a s**t??

id say thistle bond it is the best grit product out there, multi finish doesn't suck in as much as blue grit. plus id only use a grit on low porous walls not something with a high suction. iv known plasterers to pva over a grit when wrongly put onto high suction walls. But Thistle Bond It is by far the best grit product

id say thistle bond it is the best grit product out there, multi finish doesn't suck in as much as blue grit. plus id only use a grit on low porous walls not something with a high suction. iv known plasterers to pva over a grit when wrongly put onto high suction walls. But Thistle Bond It is by far the best grit product

Pva over a bonding agent please dont say thats true lol , Doh , i know opinions vary but id say bg stuff is the worse out there but like i said maybe its a personal thing , but imo knauf stuff is the best .

Done hundreds of jobs over lime using good quality PVA with no hassle. It'l be a cold day in hell before I fork out 60 odd quid for 10 litres of BG' bonding agent.

Done hundreds of jobs over lime using good quality PVA with no hassle. It'l be a cold day in hell before I fork out 60 odd quid for 10 litres of BG' bonding agent.

years ago id would agree with that , but grit is the better product and you earn a bigger profit from using it and blue grit is half that price you quoted

Pva over a bonding agent please dont say thats true lol , Doh , i know opinions vary but id say bg stuff is the worse out there but like i said maybe its a personal thing , but imo knauf stuff is the best .
I wouldn't personally lol but I agree pva is by far a better option than the s**t blue grit by Feb. I can bang plent of m2 skim with 3 coats of pva on high suction against blue grit Walls that go off in seconds.. keep the grit for glossy paint type walls, wouldn't put it anywhere near interior lime or s&c

I use to water down my WBA with PVA until I was told that it actually reacts with it all and if you are going to water it down you should just use water

Sorry read that back and i see what you are probably meaning , no , a grit has to be 12 hours before skimming 24 hours perhaps on a cold site or house conditions , knauf sfuff is fair less than than that tho .

Sorry read that back and i see what you are probably meaning , no , a grit has to be 12 hours before skimming 24 hours perhaps on a cold site or house conditions , knauf sfuff is fair less than than that tho .

Yeah the wba you could just wait and stick some heat on and skim it in the afternoon

Microgobetis is the best all rounder and it’s not blue lol, £42 and goes for miles,grit is small and doesn’t need to be stirred cos grit doesn’t sink.
Kills suction on lime walls no need to pva or Sbr before and can be watered down. Betakontakt is good too but grit sinks to bottom of tub and is around £50-£60

I find the grit does kill the suction mate but there will be one or two on here for some reason that would disagree..
If it’s high suction lime walls then a coat of pva then a grit will give you all the time that you need..
When skimming over grit give it a tickle with the sponge float and it will trowel up lovely..

Can you expand further mate? Always a grey area when it comes to sponging! Obviously I know, but might be useful for others on here :love:

Can you expand further mate? Always a grey area when it comes to sponging! Obviously I know, but might be useful for others on here :love:
Hi mate yes no problem..
Like most of us out there it was always considered bad practice and lazy to sponge up finish but with the way BG are producing finish these days I use the sponge for for finish on every set now.
I find it brings it back and much easier to finish..
Every plasterer out there will probably agree that the consistency has become a major problem and yet BG do doing to sort the problem..
Pure recycled b*ll***s and nothing like what it used to be.