This Shocked Me.

Members online

roryston

Looked at a job last week.

Its a cottage that's been painted on top of stone, they've had it shotblasted back to bear stonework and there looking to get it rendered then teyrolined on top of a sponge finish in a coulor of there choice.

Size wise its a average cottage, one scaffold lift stright through the middle about 25 metres long gaball that's about 4 metres higher than the front and back walls and a smaller area the other side that needs hacking off about 6 metres by 2 metres its in a pretty bad shape so needs bringing out ready for top coat

Needs sbr slurry, 2 scratch coats, top coat, all beading (stainless steel) and I worked out about 5-6 ton of sand. Plus 10-12 bags of cullamix. 11/12 days labour for me and a labourer with the possibility of having to get another spread in for 2 days to help on the topping off.

I wont say what I charged but going off the description I guess you lot can get a rough idea. This is for basically wadges and with me laying out my money for the iob.

There really nice people but the reply shocked me

Here's the reply

Drawing_165003.jpg

That's normal. In this case the client is too honest with you. Usually they run few quotes without saying anything and then - we have to put it on hold for now, sorry , while someone else s on the job already . Pretty common tbh.

Its a cottage that's been painted on top of stone, they've had it shotblasted back to bear stonework and there looking to get it rendered then teyrolined on top of a sponge finish in a coulor of there choice.

Size wise its a average cottage, one scaffold lift stright through the middle about 25 metres long gaball that's about 4 metres higher than the front and back walls and a smaller area the other side that needs hacking off about 6 metres by 2 metres its in a pretty bad shape so needs bringing out ready for top coat

Needs sbr slurry, 2 scratch coats, top coat, all beading (stainless steel) and I worked out about 5-6 ton of sand. Plus 10-12 bags of cullamix. 11/12 days labour for me and a labourer with the possibility of having to get another spread in for 2 days to help on the topping off.

I wont say what I charged but going off the description I guess you lot can get a rough idea. This is for basically wadges and with me laying out my money for the iob.

Here's the reply

.View attachment 14018

They were hoping it would be nearer 3k but don't actually have a clue! WTF!!

You can't blame them for wanting more quotes but for them to give you a price they expect to pay and then follow it up with they haven't actually got a clue is bonkers!

That's normal. In this case the client is too honest with you. Usually they run few quotes without saying anything and then - we have to put it on hold for now, sorry , while someone else s on the job already . Pretty common tbh.

Ah you see 99% of the time this is the case. And if it was some randomer I would completely understand.

I should of added i come highly recommended by a friend of theres who I do a hell of a lot of work for, im doing his own house at the moment they've seen my work already its not some random caller fishing for quotes, they were originally going to get it pointed but theres been alot if different stone added over times so it would of looked shite.

I couldn't of seen it being cheap to repoint, id guess at least £4500? Going off what I've seen them charge on some jobs

Here's the reply

.View attachment 14018

People who have never had plastering done have no idea what the cost is going to be... so to be fair least she is being honest... if more quotes come in around teh same price she will be ok :D

I was hoping I could walk in to a Ferrari showroom and pick one up for 10 grand but hey ho. If you're that clueless you shouldn't have a number in your head.

They were hoping it would be nearer 3k but don't actually have a clue! WTF!!

You can't blame them for wanting more quotes but for them to give you a price they expect to pay and then follow it up with they haven't actually got a clue is bonkers!

I know mate that's what I thought!!

I could completely understand if they said we were expecting X amount because we paid that before for another properly we had or our friends etc

I know mate that's what I thought!!

I could completely understand if they said we were expecting X amount because we paid that before for another properly we had or our friends etc

Does it need lime render Rory? Have a look at Eco Cork easy stuff to work with and it's insulated, Tyrolean 3-1 hydraulic on top, paint with mineral paints.

Pisses me off when you spend alot of time on a quote, go out there etc and it's on freaking recommendation and you get a text like that.

With that text mate they are basically asking you if you would do it for £3000.

I'd text back and tell them to foff!

Ask them what they do for a living then say oh can you quote me for some work when comes in at x amount say wow I thought it would be at least a couple grand cheaper,we don't ask what they earn yet think they have a right to question what we charge

if I'm quoting for a biggish render job I'll tell em the price but not the spec what I'm doing I'll tell them the spec if they give me the job just so they don't use my spec for others too use fukk em

Ah you see 99% of the time this is the case. And if it was some randomer I would completely understand.

I should of added i come highly recommended by a friend of theres who I do a hell of a lot of work for, im doing his own house at the moment they've seen my work already its not some random caller fishing for quotes, they were originally going to get it pointed but theres been alot if different stone added over times so it would of looked shite.

I couldn't of seen it being cheap to repoint, id guess at least £4500? Going off what I've seen them charge on some jobs
That's a different story already .

if I'm quoting for a biggish render job I'll tell em the price but not the spec what I'm doing I'll tell them the spec if they give me the job just so they don't use my spec for others too use fukk em
So you tell them I'll do it but you won't know how and what till is ready?

So you tell them I'll do it but you won't know how and what till is ready?
no I will work it out for em give em a price if they are happy with it I will then tell em why should I give a written down spec if there just fishing for prices like I said if they are happy with my price I will take it from there and of course I know what I'm pricing for mate

no I will work it out for em give em a price if they are happy with it I will then tell em why should I give a written down spec if there just fishing for prices like I said if they are happy with my price I will take it from there and of course I know what I'm pricing for mate

You obviously know but your client wouldn't have a clue.
That's like going to buy a new car they charge you x amount but you won't know what spec of model it is till you agree?

I am sure you know, no doubts , but explaining the details and how separate you from the rest .Also makes the customer more confident to accept your quote.If it works for you, than stick to it mate .

It's probably one of those where they've typed "how much does rendering cost?" into Google.

I sometimes get it with extensions "It says on the internet that it'll be £1200:00 per square metre." :rolleyes: If I can be bothered I point out all the things they want that mean it won't (pitched roof, velux windows, vaulted ceiling, difficult access etc.)

The other favourite is when they start telling you how long it'll take and that it's got to be started in a couple of weeks. :LOL: A reply I'm using more and more these days is "A lack of planning on your part doesn't constitute an emergency on mine, and five minutes on the internet won't by-pass 35 years of experience running a business."

I've had this as well , funny thing is they had a figure of £3000. Asked him how he came up with that. Told me he was a business man and he reads up on things. He lives across from me cheers me up when I look over and see the state of it.