thin coat

Status
Not open for further replies.

merlin

Private Member
base coats pissing me off, too wet to sponge same day , hard work to bring back in morn

spunky

Private Member
Can't you just I section the f**k*r? I tried sponging mine the next day after reading it on here and it was ******* rock hard lol what's that all about

merlin

Private Member
its adhesive coat mate ,cant i section, gotta sponge finish its a really fine top coat!

theblones

merl, i just posted on lad but in case u dont see it i had a similar problem but with sm700 which was the same. I layed it on bed my mesh in and layed a few mill on top to sponge finish, I left it overnight and it had a shiny crust on it in the morning. I tried scraping it back and spongeing it but left a rough texture. In the end i worked out that by laying on a really tight coat i could sponge it up straight away. It was quite quick once i had a system going and i used a swiss trowel loading straight from the bucket to get it on. 2 bags did about 30mts.
the sponge i had of ebay..magic sponge or summat

merlin

Private Member
thats what ive been doin mate , mesh coat one day then top coat next, maybe should put mesh coat on thicker so top coats thinner like you say,

theblones

i was laying about 3mm over the mesh then laying in a tight one on that. Dunno if thats wat youre doing. cos it was on so thin there is no issue with sagging or the like. I figured it was a good way to stucco finish. but the rain is very coarse

Top tip from the man who invented plastering " after you have layed on spray a mist of water over the area, this prevents any wind from drying it too quickly. does work aswell

plasterjfe

Private Member
Merl can you try not to finish it with a sponge? keep the gear loose as you can and when meshed and trowelled through see if you can get a nearly faultless finish of the trowel and then any remaining tramlines or nasties put the waffle over them before texture coating. it might work for yer?

spunky

Private Member
Has anyone got a link to one of these sponges, how are they any different to a normal sponge?

theblones

Wouldnt rendering be great if we had a system that each stage is completed on the same day, you could apply render without the need for a very early start or going back the following day

merlin

Private Member
right finally sorted it , normally i wouldnt sponge addie coat but the topper is parex DPR sand fine its really fine rubs up like sand & cement so addie coat has to be bang on,or it look shite , i have been doin mesh coat one then day top coat next day when picked up a little spray mist of water and rub up like mp75 with sponge float,leave to pick up and spat again ,this leaves it flat as f@ck, also traps water in surface stops it from goin off too quick , next morn rub up lightly with round drywall sponge , it is pretty much perfect finish, lot of pissing about but like i said DPR sand fine is really unforgiving

Status
Not open for further replies.