Thin coat tips?

Members online

Tinytom

Iv started a thin coat job today it’ll be my first, I posted on here asking about it a few months ago and only just got round to the job.
this is what I’m using
E7165893-DDDF-47F0-A877-BF5796257B3E.jpeg

It’s over cement board, iv got 10mm beads and enough mesh to cover the lot. Iv beaded all up today ready to attack it tomorrow, this is my plan and please correct me if I’m wrong, missing anything or you can add any tips.
spread 5/6mm, serrated edge to get flat then bed in mesh. In the afternoon a second coat at 3/4mm over the to, use serrated again to flatten in, once it’s all flat and level with my beads then get it totally flat with a 600 spat and a sponge if needed.
question then is how long to leave before I top coat?
woth the top coat I’m planing on whisk up the bucket, trowel on as thin as possible (1.5mm aggregate) and straight on it with a plastic Refina trowel to get the finish.
does this sound like my s**t is in order? Cheers

6mm beads? Iv fitted 10mm now, am I right in thinking you finish your base level to your beads?

Iv started a thin coat job today it’ll be my first, I posted on here asking about it a few months ago and only just got round to the job.
this is what I’m usingView attachment 45815
It’s over cement board, iv got 10mm beads and enough mesh to cover the lot. Iv beaded all up today ready to attack it tomorrow, this is my plan and please correct me if I’m wrong, missing anything or you can add any tips.
spread 5/6mm, serrated edge to get flat then bed in mesh. In the afternoon a second coat at 3/4mm over the to, use serrated again to flatten in, once it’s all flat and level with my beads then get it totally flat with a 600 spat and a sponge if needed.
woth the top coat I’m planing on whisk up the bucket, trowel on as thin as possible (1.5mm aggregate) and straight on it with a plastic Refina trowel to get the finish.

Mate...I dont mean to offend but that's a million miles off how to thin coat!

Is it a paying customer?

Go on then enlighten me pal. Yeah it’s a paying customer, I don’t work for free

I wasnt being clever I was asking if it's a paying customer so if it was a problem if the finish wasnt spot on.

Your going to f**k this up mate before you even get to the top coat which is the bit that normally catches people out.

Like all things it's not difficult when shown but you need to at least have a day with someone to learn the knack on how to rub up.

You will want 2 people when top coating if your not experienced to keep a wet edge.

this is what I’m usingView attachment 45815

As they've said mate.
Spreads as thin as f**k.

10mm beads will be like skimming up to 10mm.

Bite the bullet and re bead, seriously.

I wasnt being clever I was asking if it's a paying customer so if it was a problem if the finish wasnt spot on.

Your going to f**k this up mate before you even get to the top coat which is the bit that normally catches people out.

Like all things it's not difficult when shown but you need to at least have a day with someone to learn the knack on how to rub up.

You will want 2 people when top coating if your not experienced to keep a wet edge.
It’s on this building,
F59BFD0F-AA37-42F5-A2E1-3D3865DF65D8.jpeg

each face is only 1.2 wide so keeping on top of it shouldn’t be a problem, I’ll start on the back sides which face the field to give myself a chance. I’ll try and get a pic of the other 1 of these somebody else did it’s absolutly horrendous the worst render iv ever seen and if I can’t beat that I will never pick up a trowel again in any context.

It’s on this building,
View attachment 45817
each face is only 1.2 wide so keeping on top of it shouldn’t be a problem, I’ll start on the back sides which face the field to give myself a chance. I’ll try and get a pic of the other 1 of these somebody else did it’s absolutly horrendous the worst render iv ever seen and if I can’t beat that I will never pick up a trowel again in any context.
You need adjustable mesh corner bed for those angles after it’s been notched and meshed but before you put the second pass of basecoat on

It’s on this building,
View attachment 45817
i would pre mesh them joints tight then 6mm stop beads on all 4 sides of each panel. base out to beads and top a panel at a time

• Agree
Reactions: s61
As they've said mate.
Spreads as thin as f**k.

10mm beads will be like skimming up to 10mm.

Bite the bullet and re bead, seriously.
The base coat? I’ll get it out flush to the 10mm beads even if it takes 3 coats, there’s no chance them beads are coming back off now

The base coat? I’ll get it out flush to the 10mm beads even if it takes 3 coats, there’s no chance them beads are coming back off now

Then it's not a thin coat and the weight is to much on them boards.

Honestly mate your tackling this all wrong.

Then it's not a thin coat and the weight is to much on them boards.

Honestly mate your tackling this all wrong.
I’ll have to take the chance now there on though, if it causes problems down the line I’ll swallow it and put it down to experience but for now I’ll work with it

Dont try and apply 10mm the normal way it will just sag.

Build it up over 2 days!

Think of thin coat base work more like skimming than rendering with sand & cement!
That’s not a problem with it being in small panels that’s the plan, I had half a bucket left over today after bedding beads on so iv first coated 1 panel managed about 5mm bedded mesh in and keyed ready for another coat tomorrow, no sag but the gear had been sat in the bucket for about 2 hours so it had picked up a bit

I’d use a 10mm notched trowel on first coat of base Then another coat few days later . Don’t think your gonna get the suction on cement to top it off in one hit . Least with the 10mm notched trowel when you bed mesh in your only gonna need a few mm on top

That’s not a problem with it being in small panels that’s the plan, I had half a bucket left over today after bedding beads on so iv first coated 1 panel managed about 5mm bedded mesh in and keyed ready for another coat tomorrow, no sag but the gear had been sat in the bucket for about 2 hours so it had picked up a bit

You woulde better to base out 5mm with gear alone then start the process as your looking for the mesh to sit as close to the final surface as possible.

You literaly want to be just put a very tight coat over the mesh to cover with no more depth.

Also you will need to add around 300mm water to each bucket when mixing your top coat or you will struggle to rub up.

You woulde better to base out 5mm with gear alone then start the process as your looking for the mesh to sit as close to the final surface as possible.

You literaly want to be just put a very tight coat over the mesh to cover with no more depth.

Also you will need to add around 300mm water to each bucket when mixing your top coat or you will struggle to rub up.
300mm more water into each bucket? There only about 500 deep as it is

Not Lac mate,
Good product, for what it's meant for.
No yield though, you'll find it'll slump and sag at that depth