Thin coat rendering board help

Status
Not open for further replies.

lozzer345

Hi, I am planning on building a small single storey extension using timber frame techniques but I am stumped on which is the best external render board to use, I am not a plasterer and intend to get someone to do the thin coat render, but I will fix the boards in readiness.
Which board would you recomend (manufacturer) ie: one which a plasterer will be familiar with.

Lozzer.

Don't go anywhere you'll get plenty of advice from Richard, not being biased but we only use knauf products on exterior thin coats

Thanks for the reply and the welcome, is the knauf aquapanel easily obtainable, do I need to leave an expansion gap between sheets when fixing.
The timber frame studs will be on 600mm centers, I will be fixing the panels with ss screws. basically the outside face of the timber frame will be covered with a breather membrane then vertically battened over the studs with 50x25mm tanalised batten, then the render boardsfixed to the battens, the resulting 25mm gap between the back of the render board and the timber frame will be for free ventilation, am I on the right track?

Lozzer.

Think he's at claymonsters chair wrecking party this weekend...................:RpS_wink:

Thanks for the reply and the welcome, is the knauf aquapanel easily obtainable, do I need to leave an expansion gap between sheets when fixing.
The timber frame studs will be on 600mm centers, I will be fixing the panels with ss screws. basically the outside face of the timber frame will be covered with a breather membrane then vertically battened over the studs with 50x25mm tanalised batten, then the render boardsfixed to the battens, the resulting 25mm gap between the back of the render board and the timber frame will be for free ventilation, am I on the right track?

Lozzer.
just about mate , fix rails ay 300 centers, and 3-5mm gap between boards, but if you hang fire , Runswithsciscors will spec the job for you, simples

Hi Lozzer

I hope after the build up.... I can halp you out now!
(Cheers Guys - Think I may have missed the mud party invite - not sure why?)

Knauf Aquapanel Exterior is a 100% Cement Board for directly applied render. It is ideally suited for use on Timber Frame and SIP buildings.
It is BBA certified and assessed, comes with a range of up to 10 approved render system approvals as options to finish it with and we will happily offer a full specification and detail service for you.

Please feel free to forward through you project details (elevations, plans and sectional details) to my E Mail - rlord@knauf.co.uk - or give me a call during work hours 07918766577 and we will assist you further.

You can view the Knauf Aquapanel Exterior Brochure here for initial information - Knauf-Aquapanel-Exterior-Brochure

Good Luck - I hope to hear from you soon

Richard Lord
Knauf Aquapanel Exterior Specification Manager

Oh - and welcome to the forum!!

Once you know what you want to do...... come back on here and let the guys on here know where you are based and you will get some competitive quotes for the work as well!

Thanks for the knauf recomendation, according to various websites it is available in different sizes, any prefered size? Also in their fixing details it says to fix the boards horizontally, why horizontal and not vertical? Just to recap the extensions timber frame studs will be on 600mm centers, front and rear walls to eaves approx 2.1 meters, gable end wall to apex approx 3.6 meters, only one window, it will be centered in the gable end, size 1.5x 1.2 meters.

Lozzer.

Hi Lozzer

Knauf Aquapanel Exterior is 12.5mm thick and comes in 2400x900mm and 1200x900mm board sizes (prices are the same per m2 regardless of board size). for walls it is best to use the larger board, but smaller boards can be better for extensions due to access and handling.

Boards are installed horizontally to pick up standard batten centres at 600mm (small board picks us 3 battens and large boards pick up 5).... fitting horizontal is easier and safer when fitting (not 2400mm board falling down on you!) and gives a stronger wall as you can build the boards in a staggered formation easier.

Hi Lozzer

Knauf Aquapanel Exterior is 12.5mm thick and comes in 2400x900mm and 1200x900mm board sizes (prices are the same per m2 regardless of board size). for walls it is best to use the larger board, but smaller boards can be better for extensions due to access and handling.

Boards are installed horizontally to pick up standard batten centres at 600mm (small board picks us 3 battens and large boards pick up 5).... fitting horizontal is easier and safer when fitting (not 2400mm board falling down on you!) and gives a stronger wall as you can build the boards in a staggered formation easier.

Thanks for that, yes I see the reason for horizontal now so on that basis this is the game plan:

1. Fix tanalised battens vertically over breather membrane and the 600 mm centered studs.

2. Fix 100 mm dpc (verticaly) to cover outside face of batten.

3. Fix Knauf Aquapanel exterior (horizontaly) to battens, starting with the bottom course using ss scews, fix the next courses making sure they are center staggered with respect to the previous course, leave a 3 to 4 mm gap at all joints, ensure no vertical joints are in line with the window jambs or any other opening.

4. Apply joint filler and spread out to take jointing tape, apply jointing tape then spread out a bit more filler over that and float flat, cover screw heads with same filler, that will be my limit on applying any wet sticky stuff! Will use manufactures recomended filler and tape.

5. Phone up a local thin coat render man to do the plastering including the fixing of any bell casts, corner beads, stop beads etc.

Have I got this right so far? Anything else I need to be aware of?

Lozzer.

If I use Knauf Aquapanel Exterior panels is there any make of thin coat render that it won't be compatible with? Or is it good for all modern thin coat render systems.

Lozzer

If I use Knauf Aquapanel Exterior panels is there any make of thin coat render that it won't be compatible with? Or is it good for all modern thin coat render systems.

Lozzer

They are compatible with most qaulity systems if remember right,,including wallcrete which is relatively new product compared to the others
If I were you I would stick with the same manufacturer throughout the system, ie aqapanel , and knauf sm700 topped in one of their products ie conni , noblo etc

Ok, is there anyone around the mid Cornwall area who can lay up the Knauf thin coat system for me? I will be fixing the boards (properly)

Lozzer

Hi Lozzer

thanks for that choice...........

I am sure that you will get several guys contacting you on here..... Post your E Mail address for the guys to contact you on directly (saves you coming on here all the time checking!)

get in touch if you need some help sourcing or fixing the Knauf Aquapanel Exterior

Richard Lord

Good Luck

Thanks Richard, my local BM's are Travis Perkins and Jewsons, I think they both have accounts with Knauf so ordering the boards should not be a problem, I am ok on the fixing side of things so no problem there.
The job is only a small one, about 22 square meters, low profile single storey extension.
If there is a good tradesman who uses Knauf Thin Coat render and can do mid Cornwall then they can contact me initially via this forum.

Lozzer

Hi lozzer,

We fit these systems all the time and work alongside Richard lord and Knauf Marmorit.
We are based in Plymouth but work all over Devon and Cornwall. Our nearest project to you is in Newquay where you would be more then welcome to come to site to meet us and see the quality of our work.
More information can be found in my website Richard Brown Plastering Contractors

Feel free to contact me at any time.

Regards
Richard Brown.

Hi Richard Brown, as said in my post it's only a small job, basically I will fix the Knauf Aquapanel Exterior, I just need someone to fill and tape the joints, fit any required beadings and then render it all up to a good standard, is that the kind of job you would consider. I am located just east of St Blazey in Cornwall. If you could let me know, thanks.

Lozzer

Hi lozzer,

We can do this for you no problem at all.
Feel free to contact me at any time to discuss this on 07793748366.
Perhaps you could email me some photos ?.

Thanks
Richard

Status
Not open for further replies.