Thin Coat Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.

Render Systems

Private Member
Hi thin coat is exactly what it is but has a couple of exceptions on varying backgrounds.

the top coat is allways put on as thick as the grit size in the mix and no thicker as it will not finish properly

on cement board or lafarge aquatech you first apply your base coat to 3mm maximum then embed TV10 mesh into this allowing a 150mm overlap on the mesh, at ground floor level a heavy duty panzer mesh is usually employed.

get this coat as flat as possible as any marks will show through the top coat

you may then have to colourprime this base coat if its not the same colour as the finish (basically paint the base coat)

if you have any lines in the base use a carbarundum stone to take these out the following day.

when applying the top coat work as fast as possible always keeping a wet edge and if more than 1 person is finishing the top coat rub up in same directions ie both clockwise or both anti clockwise as if you do it different directions it will stick out like a sore thumb.

follow the above over EPS making sure you rasp the eps flat before applying the base coat

;)

when u apply base,then mesh,do you put another base on top to cover mesh?a mate of mine flatten`s base off with sponge float.is this a good way of doing it?

well it has to be a certain thickness and itneeds to cover the mesh.

I used a sponge float on the job i just finished cause the base coat was going off so quick in the sun

10 mm !!! fock that lol.

The job i just did was very big detached house, tbh i am glad we are done as it was just so hot, no wind etc ... nearly killed me lol

i was taught to lay the base coat on 5-8mm lightly bed in the mesh then trowel over with a 10mm notched tile trowel, this force the material through the mesh at just the right amount and leaves the mesh in the top third of the basecoat (if you now what i mean ) and any excess left on the tile trowel is removed , then flatten in with a spat :) but if your supplying then 4mm as rich said ;D ;D

remember some sysytems have different basecoats such as genesis - this comes as a liquid and you add cement to it and mix. this stuff has less body to it than the bagged products and goes on even thinner than 6mm, its very tight indeed

plasterjfe said:
remember some sysytems have different basecoats such as genesis - this comes as a liquid and you add cement to it and mix. this stuff has less body to it than the bagged products and goes on even thinner than 6mm, its very tight indeed

I have used mountains of genesis and put on 2-3mm max

Render Systems said:
plasterjfe said:

I have used mountains of genesis and put on 2-3mm max

Proves me point symmo, it is so much thinner than most.
You see guys so no one guide will really explain all you need to know as an applicator the specs are only slightly different but its not for skimmers imo

Status
Not open for further replies.