There's some right nuggets about!

reeves1985

So just back of my holidays yesterday and Start back Monday.

Just get a phone call.
I need a quote for a kitchen ceiling and walls
Walls need bonding and Skimming.
OK no problem.
I do the do diligence and get the address etc.
Proceed to ask what state the kitchen is in, is it empty all the usual.
I get the reply of well yes sort of we are just ripping it out now.
So with the million other things I've got to do today tell the guy I'll nip round and have a look this afternoon as it's only round the corner and not starting back until Monday.
The response made me literally nearly piss myself.
His reply was:
Oh ok right so you won't be able to finish it before Monday then? I need it doing like now,
So I say to the fella you haven't ripped the kitchen out yet.
So he says I know but I thought you could start and move around as we do taking it out.
No sorry sir your looking at 2 weeks before I can start.
Some right numpties about!!!
Told him he might struggle to get someone to do it with it being Friday dinner and gives me the reply it only needs the walls bonding and Skimming and ceiling Skimming it's only a couple of hours work I'll pay cash!!!!

So just back of my holidays yesterday and Start back Monday.

Just get a phone call.
I need a quote for a kitchen ceiling and walls
Walls need bonding and Skimming.
OK no problem.
I do the do diligence and get the address etc.
Proceed to ask what state the kitchen is in, is it empty all the usual.
I get the reply of well yes sort of we are just ripping it out now.
So with the million other things I've got to do today tell the guy I'll nip round and have a look this afternoon as it's only round the corner and not starting back until Monday.
The response made me literally nearly piss myself.
His reply was:
Oh ok right so you won't be able to finish it before Monday then? I need it doing like now,
So I say to the fella you haven't ripped the kitchen out yet.
So he says I know but I thought you could start and move around as we do taking it out.
No sorry sir your looking at 2 weeks before I can start.
Some right numpties about!!!
Told him he might struggle to get someone to do it with it being Friday dinner and gives me the reply it only needs the walls bonding and Skimming and ceiling Skimming it's only a couple of hours work I'll pay cash!!!!
Wat a f**k**g idiot..tell him to put new kitchen in and pass number on to @theplasterman he luvs doing them jobs does r Vince :)

It's crazy to us lot because we know how it should work.. Sometimes public get that excited about the kitchen or bathroom they don't think of the rest.. I do find though if you can help them along with planning there first domestic venture then next time they have something done they learn from first time and plan other jobs alot better..
But it's 50/50 if they will agree changeing there original plan first time round..
Or tbh I would pull it in on Sunday and have Monday off sometimes if it was worth the money...you might even get a free MacDonalds out of them for your troubles.

Cmon Vince dont u think its thick? Its not rocket science is it in knowing to wait til its plastered
I know what your saying and agree but alot just don't have a clue and no one tells them except us then they know

Not just public! Done a quote for a builder about 5 weeks ago, thought he'd gone else where then phoned me Wednedsay wanting me to start at the end of this week or the start of next. As the kitchen is being fitted at the end of the following week.

There's about a week and half work there and he reckons it will only take 2 days!

Feck clambering over old /new kitchens I had one few month back 10k kitchen fitted was for a doctor I just point blank refused she was nearly in tears the fitters told her it was the norm to have it out in first I told her it was b*ll***s , why should we struggle so someone else can have it straight forward fukin wankers I won't touch them imagine if you drop something and chip the worktop or sink ? They would soon fall out with you over it no matter if you was trying to help them out so fuk it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feck clambering over old /new kitchens I had one few month back 10k kitchen fitted was for a doctor I just point blank refused she was nearly in tears the fitters told her it was the norm to have it out in first I told her it was b*ll***s , why should we struggle so someone else can have it straight forward fukin wankers I won't touch them imagine if you drop something and chip the worktop or sink ? They would soon fall out with you over it no matter if you was trying to help them out so fuk it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's my friend is all too true!

I hate them myself and do tend to put rates up for kitchens

They are a total nightmare I won't touch them if there's any sort of kitchen in

It's nice someone else has some sense, this games hard enough, I will be fitting kitchens soon already on the wet rooms and bathrooms that's where the money is :)

I'd struggle to turn into a multi trader type home improvement person..
Says The plasterman on side of me van and that's it.
Don't care how much money might be in it.

Cmon wales!!!! Cnt believe I actually want wales to win! I hate the f**k**s tbh but I want them to embarrass that shower of over paid over hyped shite in england team

Saying that though seems most fitters do there own kitchen at home then they are kitchen fitters

Like handymen really

Jack of all master of none flynny!! ;-)
I would have to disagree but I would ;) I am good at all the trades better than most I've met. I am doing a wet room/bathroom from scratch without employing any other trades and I have done it for years. I am just finding my feet in Grimsby after 7 years, I have already built a good reputation as a plasterer starting from scratch and now I'm going back into building now I have the contacts :) before I left Manchester I was doing loft conversions from scratch but bathrooms is where it's at ;)

Last edited:
My next van won't be signed up plasterer coz it does get an odd look when I turn up to art shows ;)

I would have to disagree but I would ;) I am good at all the trades better than most I've met. I am doing a wet room/bathroom from scratch without employing any other trades and I have done it for years. I am just finding my feet in Grimsby after 7 years, I have already built a good reputation as a plasterer starting from scratch and now I'm going back into building now I have the contacts :) before I left Manchester I was doing loft conversions from scratch but bathrooms is where it's at ;)
Grimsby!!!! Lol..dint know any1 worked in Grimsby! Fair enough flynny I wunt have clue tbh

Grimsby!!!! Lol..dint know any1 worked in Grimsby! Fair enough flynny I wunt have clue tbh
I enjoy joinery/ tiling/ plumbing and electrics but not as much as plastering but the money is better and not as hard on the body :) I'm 44 I was planning on retiring from plastering after the race but that ain't happening anytime soon :)

It's something I have looked into as well
I've got a good rep as a plasterer and have a nice stream of work.
So can't complain on that front.
But the old brains always ticking about how to expand and get bigger etc.
Thought long and hard about it but there is a very thin line as you mention about being a multi trade get it slightly wrong and the whole lot goes Tits up and you end up with the oh he's ok as a handyman stereotype which has a knock on effect to the Plastering.

Sub it out. Make a bit on the side

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

It's something I have looked into as well
I've got a good rep as a plasterer and have a nice stream of work.
So can't complain on that front.
But the old brains always ticking about how to expand and get bigger etc.
Thought long and hard about it but there is a very thin line as you mention about being a multi trade get it slightly wrong and the whole lot goes Tits up and you end up with the oh he's ok as a handyman stereotype which has a knock on effect to the Plastering.
I have a couple of good friends who are plumbers who I can call and have done a few times the same with the spark. First fix is simple coz I've learnt over the years, anyone who has done site work for years as a plasterer can tell if a fan switch is missing or a lighting cable. I can't expand as a plasterer because I don't trust anyone to do jobs and making a couple of quid on a reckon can lose you the whole job and it's not worth it. I pass numbers on now I don't get involved a lot of the time I say I'm too busy. I have been doing this nearly thirty years and always took an interest in how things work and as a plasterer I can cover s**t up ;) I think I'm gonna concentrate on bathrooms and kitchens, couldnt handle the stress of extensions because of the lack of good tradesmen and the ones that are good are busy. I look around at the standards and they are bad prime example is this thread, most builders do things back to front coz they have taken their slice by the time we have arrived, it's embarrassing whacking how some of them perform so from now on I'm doing the lot :)

Problem is with multitrades is you have to have a shedload of tools, takes forever loading and unloading every day for different jobs and the same thing for mats. I envy those who can make a living out of one trade and their body able to keep up.
Doing other things responsibility goes up as well, if you do plumbing electrical works you have to be confident. I used to give it to trusted trades all these jobs with doing a few on my own initiative but this year I got burnt by 3 different plumbers so I do that completely myself other than gas and boiler installs. I got a good trusted sparkie he'll never leave me. When you can charge the same money for fitting a kitchen what it costs or even more it makes sense to do it instead of just skim the room out in a day, same goes for bathrooms.

Sub it out. Make a bit on the side

Mate none of us are going to be millionaires and I am quite content with how I am and a plastering wage , a lot of people think it's all about the money but what are they chasing and how much more do they want to earn.

Quite happy just me doing my thing bro and easy jobs easy life.
:tanguero: