the new thistle no pva multi finish?

Status
Not open for further replies.

donkum

so has any one used it? i used one bag the other week fto give it a go ? still on the wall but i am very interested if any one else has used it and how they found it? oh and i used in over silk paint!!!!!!

Was down at bg on tue for a look the finish its self is great because of the fine powder and it nice to trowel on , used it over a silk painted ceiling on thu with no problems ! . RRP is 8.49 which is where the biggest problem lies . But the product gets big thumbs up from me ,can't say the same about the spray finish though

It's good over painted surfaces, but on dry back grounds it still sucks like f**k and cracks so not what it says on the tin so to speak!

Heres the backgrounds I've used it on.

Artex (silk) - Hung a good bit could of laid twice as much on had I known Id be waiting. Trowelled up real nice.

New Render after Dpc Installation - Hung for ages as expected anyway and it was laid on a good week after after render was applied.

Old skimmed walls with some bits of paint, walls had wallpaper on prior to skimming - Sucked in quick! set finished in about a hour and a half. Didnt crack or craze (no phone calls yet from client!)

I was using my plastic refina trowel on all but the dpc one and that got a much better finish than my marshall town. I found that when you dry trowel it can skag a bit but didnt with my plastic which is why i used it.

My lab used it over some hardwall he put around skirting lines a good 3 days before and that sucked right in and crazed a bit. Sorted it out in the end.

Its not the best for blending into existing finishes (dpc job). It would flake off as if using multi with no PVA where I tried to blend to original wall.

Overall its quite a good product for certain finishes but not all I would say.
It saves time having to wait for the PVA to set or having to use Plasprime on painted finishes but it sucks in a little to quick on the dryer/older backgrounds.

It also not only saves you money on PVA minimal I know but it does also save labour time (average bedroom about 30mins PVA time?) I pay £8.25 plus VAT at the minute so for say a 5 bag room thats a extra £20-£25 quid in Materials minus your PVA, the mess it makes and the labour I would say its worth it just about!

Im guessing the cost is so high to start because of all the angry phone calls they will get from spreads saying its gone wrong and not working as it says etc etc. But its like any new product that comes out people will be wary and comparing it what they usually use and ready to bash it if it doesnt go to plan. You still get jobs with multi that you PVA well and then still sucks like sh1t but you just get on with it dont you!

Im also wondering what the crack is with Bond-it now they brought this out. Im sure there will still be a lot of use for it but Im guessing they make a good mark up on that than they do over multi but bringing out uni finish will surely affect sales of Bond-it??????????

Just a thought.

Sales of bond it have gone down hill since there patent ? Ran out, everyone makes it now and most at half the price

Heres the backgrounds I've used it on.

Artex (silk) - Hung a good bit could of laid twice as much on had I known Id be waiting. Trowelled up real nice.

New Render after Dpc Installation - Hung for ages as expected anyway and it was laid on a good week after after render was applied.

Old skimmed walls with some bits of paint, walls had wallpaper on prior to skimming - Sucked in quick! set finished in about a hour and a half. Didnt crack or craze (no phone calls yet from client!)

I was using my plastic refina trowel on all but the dpc one and that got a much better finish than my marshall town. I found that when you dry trowel it can skag a bit but didnt with my plastic which is why i used it.

My lab used it over some hardwall he put around skirting lines a good 3 days before and that sucked right in and crazed a bit. Sorted it out in the end.

Its not the best for blending into existing finishes (dpc job). It would flake off as if using multi with no PVA where I tried to blend to original wall.

Overall its quite a good product for certain finishes but not all I would say.
It saves time having to wait for the PVA to set or having to use Plasprime on painted finishes but it sucks in a little to quick on the dryer/older backgrounds.

It also not only saves you money on PVA minimal I know but it does also save labour time (average bedroom about 30mins PVA time?) I pay £8.25 plus VAT at the minute so for say a 5 bag room thats a extra £20-£25 quid in Materials minus your PVA, the mess it makes and the labour I would say its worth it just about!

Im guessing the cost is so high to start because of all the angry phone calls they will get from spreads saying its gone wrong and not working as it says etc etc. But its like any new product that comes out people will be wary and comparing it what they usually use and ready to bash it if it doesnt go to plan. You still get jobs with multi that you PVA well and then still sucks like sh1t but you just get on with it dont you!

Im also wondering what the crack is with Bond-it now they brought this out. Im sure there will still be a lot of use for it but Im guessing they make a good mark up on that than they do over multi but bringing out uni finish will surely affect sales of Bond-it??????????

Just a thought.

£8.25 + Vat................:-0

yeh think i got mine for bout 7.50, yeh i thought it troweled up well nice but i wasnt sure if that was me just having a placibo effect but it did feel realy nice, n smooth, it has been on over a week now and i havent had call from customer, didnt find that it hung to much bout normal but could have been the house temp ect so yeh i thought by the time you factor in the application of pva (i hate doing that ) thought it would probly save you a good 3hrs per house, so horses for course's...........sorry to start another thread about it though fellas!!!!!!

My local builders merchant got me a pallet in.£8.00 plus vat per bag. Picked up a few bags today for a re skim tomoro. It says on the bag RRP £8.49. It will come down in price eventually,at the mo its not cost effective.

Good stuff used a batch for a re skim yesterday drys out quick on the first coat gets ya worried a bit but second coat pulls it back nice then its a dream to trowel up

just bought some today 2 bags just to try £6.93 +vat skimming over sandtex on bathroom ceiling see what happens in the morning ?.

Status
Not open for further replies.