The MyBuilder experience

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
The trouble you have is you will be going up against guys/companies who have 30+ positive feedbacks so they are more likely to get the nod over someone who has none or 2-3 that's just the way it is.
I use it when good jobs come up on it and I have a minimum 50% success rate on it and I can guarantee it's not because I'm the cheapest.
It's absolutely no different than putting an ad in the local rag someone phones you up and you go and look at the job, with domestics not only do you need to be a good plasterer but you need to be a very good salesman too with good communication and people skills, don't get me wrong I'm not saying you are none of these and it's not something you didn't already know, I just feel that from the off you went into it with a negative attitude (certainly from reading all your posts on this) and that's what you will get from it.
In my opinion this is the best site of them all by a mile.

The trouble you have is you will be going up against guys/companies who have 30+ positive feedbacks so they are more likely to get the nod over someone who has none or 2-3 that's just the way it is.
I use it when good jobs come up on it and I have a minimum 50% success rate on it and I can guarantee it's not because I'm the cheapest.
It's absolutely no different than putting an ad in the local rag someone phones you up and you go and look at the job, with domestics not only do you need to be a good plasterer but you need to be a very good salesman too with good communication and people skills, don't get me wrong I'm not saying you are none of these and it's not something you didn't already know, I just feel that from the off you went into it with a negative attitude (certainly from reading all your posts on this) and that's what you will get from it.
In my opinion this is the best site of them all by a mile.
Trouble is it's not policed when I had my quarrels with mybuilder it was clear they think of themselves what I noticed was say a job is posted 6 tradesman go in for it and only 1 gets picked then the same customer posts another job week later 5 people go in for plus 1 who won job the last time and guess what he wins job again to push his reviews up and people ain't got a chance of getting that job purely because they already know who gonna do job before posted I see this happen on a few occasions but it was dismissed,it's only good if your cheap and after beer money many on here are running legitimate companies and declare most of there money so can't work for the 100 people think it will cost for a room,I was always at least a minimum of 50% more expensive and I done the first few quotes at cost and barely breaking even so I would feel that people have a right to complain although I don't see it as a complaint merely one man observing and reporting back at how he found it

Trouble is it's not policed when I had my quarrels with mybuilder it was clear they think of themselves what I noticed was say a job is posted 6 tradesman go in for it and only 1 gets picked then the same customer posts another job week later 5 people go in for plus 1 who won job the last time and guess what he wins job again to push his reviews up and people ain't got a chance of getting that job purely because they already know who gonna do job before posted I see this happen on a few occasions but it was dismissed,it's only good if your cheap and after beer money many on here are running legitimate companies and declare most of there money so can't work for the 100 people think it will cost for a room,I was always at least a minimum of 50% more expensive and I done the first few quotes at cost and barely breaking even so I would feel that people have a right to complain although I don't see it as a complaint merely one man observing and reporting back at how he found it

Like I said your wrong, as I guarantee I'm never the cheapest all payments are via bank transfer and thus declared. It always makes me laugh when someone doesn't like something then it's no good blah blah blah it's like those who can't use stilts will say they are s**t when the truth is you just can't use them, just like my builder or similar you can't use it for whatever reason the it must be s**t.

Like I said your wrong, as I guarantee I'm never the cheapest all payments are via bank transfer and thus declared. It always makes me laugh when someone doesn't like something then it's no good blah blah blah it's like those who can't use stilts will say they are s**t when the truth is you just can't use them, just like my builder or similar you can't use it for whatever reason the it must be s**t.
I tried it and honestly it's not for me especially in part of London I'm in and competition is really high,I can use stilts for your info but now domestic rarely get a chance to use them,mybuilder is very customer focussed and doesn't think about the logistics that actually go into paying to look actually looking the quoting then haggling over price doing the job the onus is really on the tradesman and he isn't protected I get enough from word of mouth and the few builders I do a bit for so I thought I would try that as well but didn't work for me and maybe in hindsight as it didn't work for me I can pick holes in it,plus I was told they keeping prices and freezing them for the next year only for them to raise it

I tried it and honestly it's not for me especially in part of London I'm in and competition is really high,I can use stilts for your info but now domestic rarely get a chance to use them,mybuilder is very customer focussed and doesn't think about the logistics that actually go into paying to look actually looking the quoting then haggling over price doing the job the onus is really on the tradesman and he isn't protected I get enough from word of mouth and the few builders I do a bit for so I thought I would try that as well but didn't work for me and maybe in hindsight as it didn't work for me I can pick holes in it,plus I was told they keeping prices and freezing them for the next year only for them to raise it

Come on man, there prices have been the same for years they have only just put up prices, which by the way is still cheaper than the rest,plus they stopped the annual fee/quarterly fee.

Like I say you need to be a good salesman aswell rather than some Neanderthal with a trowel.

, with domestics not only do you need to be a good plasterer but you need to be a very good salesman too with good communication and people skills, don't get me wrong I'm not saying you are none of these and it's not something you didn't already know, I just feel that from the off you went into it with a negative attitude (certainly from reading all your posts on this) and that's what you will get from it.

You must be a mind reader :whistle:

@gps

I'm probably a better salesman than i am a plasterer, every job i price i wear my polo, give the customers leaflets & cards have a laugh with them talk them through the job and fill them with confidence.

i dont agree with being negative about my builder, I'm giving it a fair shot, but in the run up to xmas it hasn't been very good, in fact its cost me time, money and fuel.

how do you suggest i get my ratings up, or win jobs even, the only way your going to get your foot in is by being cheap as fook.

2 thing i don't like about the site and i emailed them yesterday to tell them is -

1 - why haven't they asked to see any proof that i can plaster i.e city and guilds, NVQ

2 - why do they allow people to have multiple trades, not 2/3 but 9/10, theres a decorating firm that i have seen compete with me for jobs, he has 60 odd reviews, looking through them he's been doing everything and even takes stuff to the tip and moves fridges, is he insured to do that, does he have a waste carriers license?

I'm using it fairly, i can't go buying every lead they send me as it could easily run up to the hundreds.

a few things that i think would improve the site would be -

*to limit the amount of tradesmen a customer can shortlist t0 3 (this would cost mybuilder, but would be fairer to the tradesmen)

*get the tradesmen to send proof of qualification for the trade they wish to carry out

*limit the amount of trades 1 person can have, some guys on there do everything from plastering full houses to getting cats out of trees

*if only 1 tradesmen is interested in a job, and no other interest is expressed offer the tradesmen the chance to pay for the info, instead they want multiple interest which means multiple lead buying

*if a tradesmen cannot get in touch with a customer for whatever reason, refund the tradesmen his money back

*possibly look at charging the customer a fee to either join, or post jobs, maybe £2 or something similar

*they should push the fact that if a tradesmen gets shortlisted he is charged, you don't see this at all on the customers side of the site.

the above suggestions, why i think are good won't happen because they will eat into the profits, they are not so in the favour of the customer.

looking forward to reading the replies.

@gps

I'm probably a better salesman than i am a plasterer, every job i price i wear my polo, give the customers leaflets & cards have a laugh with them talk them through the job and fill them with confidence.

i dont agree with being negative about my builder, I'm giving it a fair shot, but in the run up to xmas it hasn't been very good, in fact its cost me time, money and fuel.

how do you suggest i get my ratings up, or win jobs even, the only way your going to get your foot in is by being cheap as fook.

2 thing i don't like about the site and i emailed them yesterday to tell them is -

1 - why haven't they asked to see any proof that i can plaster i.e city and guilds, NVQ

2 - why do they allow people to have multiple trades, not 2/3 but 9/10, theres a decorating firm that i have seen compete with me for jobs, he has 60 odd reviews, looking through them he's been doing everything and even takes stuff to the tip and moves fridges, is he insured to do that, does he have a waste carriers license?

I'm using it fairly, i can't go buying every lead they send me as it could easily run up to the hundreds.

*to limit the amount of tradesmen a customer can shortlist t0 3 (this would cost mybuilder, but would be fairer to the tradesmen)

*get the tradesmen to send proof of qualification for the trade they wish to carry out

*limit the amount of trades 1 person can have, some guys on there do everything from plastering full houses to getting cats out of trees

*if only 1 tradesmen is interested in a job, and no other interest is expressed offer the tradesmen the chance to pay for the info, instead they want multiple interest which means multiple lead buying

*if a tradesmen cannot get in touch with a customer for whatever reason, refund the tradesmen his money back

*possibly look at charging the customer a fee to either join, or post jobs, maybe £2 or something similar

*they should push the fact that if a tradesmen gets shortlisted he is charged, you don't see this at all on the customers side of the site.

the above suggestions, why i think are good won't happen because they will eat into the profits, they are not so in the favour of the customer.

Couldn't agree more than what you have said there

@gps

They wont do any of that stuff as the site is geared for the consumer not service provider.....the whole point of the site is to make you as cheap as they can.....and for them to make money....Not saying its right but thats the way these sites work.....also if a builder wants to make 20 quid fitting a cat flap fair play to him in my opinion.

They wont do any of that stuff as the site is geared for the consumer not service provider.....the whole point of the site is to make you as cheap as they can.....and for them to make money....Not saying its right but thats the way these sites work.....also if a builder wants to make 20 quid fitting a cat flap fair play to him in my opinion.

its not just builder fitting cat flaps though is it Lodan, its guys that 1 day they will be a plasterer, the next day they are hanging doors and the next day taking rubbish to the tip.

iv nothing against handymen, but they have their place but when they haven't served their time (like we all had to do) got their qualifications (like we all had to do) and pay the costs to run a proper little plastering firm (like we all have to do) it kind of takes the shine off it.

when i was with my old gaffer i was about 18/19 at the time, we lived in the same village, and still do

he told me, bare in mind id been plastering and labouring on 4/5 guys for 18 months, that if he heard me calling myself a plasterer or telling anyone i was a plasterer in the village until he said i was a plasterer he'd break my legs and sack me.

now its -

£60.00 public liability
£100 in B&Q on tools
a vehicle (any vehicle)

and your off

its not just builder fitting cat flaps though is it Lodan, its guys that 1 day they will be a plasterer, the next day they are hanging doors and the next day taking rubbish to the tip.

iv nothing against handymen, but they have their place but when they haven't served their time (like we all had to do) got their qualifications (like we all had to do) and pay the costs to run a proper little plastering firm (like we all have to do) it kind of takes the shine off it.

Thats my point though, youre a plasterer if you got a van and a waste carriers liscence why shouldnt you qoute to remove rubbish if you want to....thats your perogative.....if you can fit a good door so it looks nice and square why shouldnt you qoute.

Thats my point though, youre a plasterer if you got a van and a waste carriers liscence why shouldnt you qoute to remove rubbish if you want to....thats your perogative.....if you can fit a good door so it looks nice and square why shouldnt you qoute.

so whats the point of city and guilds then? NVQs? even CSCS trade cards, pointless

were not talking 1 door, were talking about a customers asking for a joiner to fit 6 doors and someone who isn't qualified, isn't insured trying to take it on.

do you honestly think the guy who took the fridge to the tip has a waste carriers license.

board and skim a 2-storey extension and a qualified decorator gets the job???

if you call yourself a plasterer, that is your job day in day out otherwise your not a plasterer your a handyman that can skim a wall

City and Guilds qualifications are not "recognised" anymore. Its a case of tough s**t!? Ive never been asked to produce my certificates once apart from working in Germany where i qualified as a "meister" and could legally start my own company there. End of the day ive been to jobs where ive quoted and the potential customer has said some other guy turned up with some certificates to show he was a courser sorry "plasterer" i just tell them after 27 years should i go home and get my certificates too and play top trumps on the results!!??

so whats the point of city and guilds then? NVQs? even CSCS trade cards, pointless

were not talking 1 door, were talking about a customers asking for a joiner to fit 6 doors and someone who isn't qualified, isn't insured trying to take it on.

do you honestly think the guy who took the fridge to the tip has a waste carriers license.

board and skim a 2-storey extension and a qualified decorator gets the job???

Im not arguing with you mate, just saying you cant judge someone elses skill level...i suppose that is for the customer to do. 6 doors....as long as not solid oak I could knock them out in a day and everyone would be perfect, run a 50p piece around the frame weather the frame was square or not, ...im not a joiner but so what. I just paid for a waste carriers liscence...its £154 for 3 years....not worth ducking it.

Im not arguing with you mate, just saying you cant judge someone elses skill level...i suppose that is for the customer to do. 6 doors....as long as not solid oak I could knock them out in a day and everyone would be perfect, run a 50p piece around the frame weather the frame was square or not, ...im not a joiner but so what. I just paid for a waste carriers liscence...its £154 for 3 years....not worth ducking it.

Just to say I could do the oak perfect too, just meant it would take me more than a day.

Regarding the qualifications, i didn't have mine until about 21/22 but I went out of my way to get it, it didn't make me any better at my job or any worse but it gave me the peace of mind that I was a qualified plasterer.

I've moved radiators, painted, built a double garage, roofed it fitted the door, laid laminated, hung doors fitted a bathroom and kitchen but all on my own property, I've been offered plenty of painting jobs after we have plastered but I always pass them onto my painter because that's his job, not mine, no matter if I'm skint or want the extra money. Is the principle of the matter.

It still bothers me now that I call myself a plasterer and I'd probably struggle at floor screeding.

A plasterer to me is someone that plasters 5 days a week that can fit coving, skim, float, board, dab dry line, render and possibly screed fast and to a very good standard

Not somebody that skims a few walls on a Monday and Thursday in between doing a bit of tiling on a Tuesday, hanging a door on a Wednesday and doing a weekly tip run on a Friday morning before he goes and puts a mirror up for old Mrs Jones down the road who can't wipe her own arse

Btw it doesn't make you any less of a man if your a odd jobber or a jack of all trades.

It's just my personal opinion

But there's a difference between someone that can skim a wall and a plasterer

No not really but not much banter to be had here its all doom and gloom lol

Start a fight with someone marshy....that always makes me laugh.....where's Frankk when you need him.

No not really but not much banter to be had here its all doom and gloom lol

No doom and gloom

All good old fashioned debating

I'm actually in a good mood as I walked into a casino last night for first time ever put £5 on roulette number 29 our lasses birthday 29th dec, won £100 and walked out

I'm a pro gambler now

Btw it doesn't make you any less of a man if your a odd jobber or a jack of all trades.

I think thats probably my point....as youve got an established business plastering with proper overheads etc you'll never suceed on a site like that as its full of multi skilled sole traders who can probably earn £125 per day and be happy with that....not saying I will but I could make £125 a day work if I needed too...100 per day after tax etc.....im not sole earner in our house or trying to run a businees with employees & VAT etc.

I wasnt having a go lads im enjoying my time off and making the most of it supposed to be fixing the roof on kids wendy house but tipping it down so come on here for a bit of a laugh while Mrs Marshy and kids at Trafford Centre.

You make a valid point on regarding the city and guilds I have mine and took me 3 years and even working on site I was stuck in a cupboard for over 2 years by the blokes I worked for and was told thats how you start,what makes me laugh is the government Lord the apprentice scheme saying they training new people by the time they qualify on 3 quid an hour company will just let them go and start new round of intake trouble we have is I've learned my trade earnt well from my trade and haven't had to veer away from plastering as such yet now when people want a quote they say can you fix skirting or can you plumb that in as well I probably could but i don't because my skills base is plastering,and it's what I'm good at plus I wouldn't wanna hang a door with my plastering tools,plastering is not seen as an art or skill anymore where once it was like you was a proper trade now with YouTube ect and the "handyman" people only see 5er a bag of multi so labour should only be 50 when realistically we know that ain't the case

You make a valid point on regarding the city and guilds I have mine and took me 3 years and even working on site I was stuck in a cupboard for over 2 years by the blokes I worked for and was told thats how you start,what makes me laugh is the government Lord the apprentice scheme saying they training new people by the time they qualify on 3 quid an hour company will just let them go and start new round of intake trouble we have is I've learned my trade earnt well from my trade and haven't had to veer away from plastering as such yet now when people want a quote they say can you fix skirting or can you plumb that in as well I probably could but i don't because my skills base is plastering,and it's what I'm good at plus I wouldn't wanna hang a door with my plastering tools,plastering is not seen as an art or skill anymore where once it was like you was a proper trade now with YouTube ect and the "handyman" people only see 5er a bag of multi so labour should only be 50 when realistically we know that ain't the case

With the people I know plastering is usually the one thing they won't have a go at so not sure about it not being seen as a skilled trade....i know a few buy to let landlords who happily bang a new kitchen or bathroom in but get a plasterer to skim it out first or re board if the walls arent plumb for a run of worktop in a kitchen.

With the people I know plastering is usually the one thing they won't have a go at so not sure about it not being seen as a skilled trade....i know a few buy to let landlords who happily bang a new kitchen or bathroom in but get a plasterer to skim it out first or re board if the walls arent plumb for a run of worktop in a kitchen.
Trust me over the last 3 years the prices have got tighter to win jobs now my price is my price I have heard people say oh it's only an hours work for a plasterer or it's only half a day plastering isn't an exact science is it and if people feel that way about plastering why did I bother doing my time and learning the hard way,we have former tea towel salesmen from Eastern Europe who do a year on site yet are now fully fledged plasterers some are good some are bad but they drive the prices down hence why my builder is the way it is,I can give you an example of 1 job I quoted for it was damp in wall at my suggestion it was best to sort guttering out where water was getting in before any plastering was gonna take place hack off old plaster and allow to dry for a week come back seal and scratch coat and top leave to cure then come back and skim a week later in total 2.5 visits materials and labour I think I was around 625 got a email from customer next day said a bloke looked at and done job on the spot for 130 quid up to sand cement finish and asked me if I would skim it I said no chance I ain't gonna go over someone's work especially as I told you how to do it properly cos if it falls off your gonna blame me this was a my builder job as well so basically we back in a circle people wanna stick to their trade but what chance have they got when that scenario is happening and seems not just to me

Trust me over the last 3 years the prices have got tighter to win jobs now my price is my price I have heard people say oh it's only an hours work for a plasterer or it's only half a day plastering isn't an exact science is it and if people feel that way about plastering why did I bother doing my time and learning the hard way,we have former tea towel salesmen from Eastern Europe who do a year on site yet are now fully fledged plasterers some are good some are bad but they drive the prices down hence why my builder is the way it is,I can give you an example of 1 job I quoted for it was damp in wall at my suggestion it was best to sort guttering out where water was getting in before any plastering was gonna take place hack off old plaster and allow to dry for a week come back seal and scratch coat and top leave to cure then come back and skim a week later in total 2.5 visits materials and labour I think I was around 625 got a email from customer next day said a bloke looked at and done job on the spot for 130 quid up to sand cement finish and asked me if I would skim it I said no chance I ain't gonna go over someone's work especially as I told you how to do it properly cos if it falls off your gonna blame me this was a my builder job as well so basically we back in a circle people wanna stick to their trade but what chance have they got when that scenario is happening and seems not just to me

Why now though? my builders been around 11 years...., poland joined th eu 12 yeags ago goldtrowel been around 17 years and handymen been around forever.

You make a valid point on regarding the city and guilds I have mine and took me 3 years and even working on site I was stuck in a cupboard for over 2 years by the blokes I worked for and was told thats how you start,

Stuck in cupboards and under stairs at the start, good memories of those days ! the old boys had method in their madness, i do it to my apprentices now but i let them have a light in there with them these days ! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.