The MyBuilder experience

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
But for year round renderers there'll be jobs where the customer isn't desperate but the renderer might be. To keep lads paid etc. That's what I'm gettin at.

But for year round renderers there'll be jobs where the customer isn't desperate but the renderer might be. To keep lads paid etc. That's what I'm gettin at.
Sometimes you just have to bear the cost yourself, it might cost £500 to get covered up, but offset that against the £700 per day you could be losing having you and your lads sat in the van waiting for the weather to pass and it makes sense.

The customers not to know that though are they. If they do they know to much.
This is where your inner salesman comes out and you explain if they want it done and done well in a timely manner then this is the way forward.
Mono is a bitch when any rain hits it during setting! I found this out the hard way and have to use mend rend where lime bloom occurred due to water on the surface.
Another reason I don't like external in the wet months.

Who pays for the scaffold wrap @owls? Surely the customer can't be expected to pay the extra for the benefit of you keeping going through the winter.
Ah why not, most I've worked for want it done yesterday, scaffold is pricey summer or winter.

Sent from my HUAWEI G6-L11 using Tapatalk

Never understood why any decent tradesmen would firstly pay for leads and secondly be told how much the jobs worth/ you'll earn ...... id rather be sat with my feet up than work for 100 -120 a day - you'd earn roughly the same on the checkouts at aldi after tax.... plus you wouldnt have overheads / hassle / stress of smashing s**t on walls ......

Hang on, let me get this straight? You "PAY" for a lead and they "TELL YOU" how much the job is going to be !?? f**k**g hell ive never heard so much s**t in my life !!!! It has "desperate" written all over it

Never understood why any decent tradesmen would firstly pay for leads and secondly be told how much the jobs worth/ you'll earn ...... id rather be sat with my feet up than work for 100 -120 a day - you'd earn roughly the same on the checkouts at aldi after tax.... plus you wouldnt have overheads / hassle / stress of smashing s**t on walls ......
[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] if you can get me a job at Aldi on checkout for that I'd pay you a weekly commission!

Subbies on site are given a price per meter they don't tell the contractor what he will pay so does that make all subbies s**t?
Also @mac has explained his reasons for doing so, this isn't his usual route of acquiring work and isn't a long term option. He's doing this to see what it brings in, doesn't make him bad at what he does, maybe he could of looked at it better from a business point of view earlier before it got to this but if that was the case he wouldn't be posting this thread.

I'm doing this to see what is like first hand, it won't be long term (unless it can bring in mega bucks, which I don't see) because we are well ranked on google and have a very good reputation and this brings in more than enough work.

I could quite comfortably sit with my feet up for 4 weeks and not worry about money, but it drives me mad and I get bored.

We have work, just not as much as Iv been use to over the last 2 years.

All I'm doing is exploring this avenue of advertising to see if it's any good to us in the future, it's not make or break.

I'd rather sit and wait it out than use these sites.

They're probably decent enough if you don't mind being part of the race to the bottom.

Not for me.

At the end of the day how many have actually tried it?

I don't mean because your mate said or you heard it was no good, actually signed up to see for yourself what it's like, I don't like these sites as much as the next guy and could walk onto a site in Leeds tomorrow for £2.20 m2, but I don't want to. I want to see what the customer base is like and what the competition is like.

It will probably be shite, but at least I tried it to find out and can explore other options if the same happens next year.

It doesn't matter how much you turn over or how many m2 you can spread these sites have taken a slice of the pie, they are turning enough over to be able to fund adverts on TV so customers are using them.

It's only the same as me sticking an ad in yellow pages 10 years ago, costing £100, to see what it produces.

I won't be in the race to the bottom, I'll price as I would joe bloggs down the road who found us on Google.

If others want to buy work that's up to them, I'm just testing it out to see if there is a customer base there.

Who pays for the scaffold wrap @owls? Surely the customer can't be expected to pay the extra for the benefit of you keeping going through the winter.
Sometimes the builder/developer pays for it, sometimes it comes out of my side as it's more cost effective than doing jack.

At the end of the day how many have actually tried it?

I don't mean because your mate said or you heard it was no good, actually signed up to see for yourself what it's like, I don't like these sites as much as the next guy and could walk onto a site in Leeds tomorrow for £2.20 m2, but I don't want to. I want to see what the customer base is like and what the competition is like.

It will probably be shite, but at least I tried it to find out and can explore other options if the same happens next year.

It doesn't matter how much you turn over or how many m2 you can spread these sites have taken a slice of the pie, they are turning enough over to be able to fund adverts on TV so customers are using them.

It's only the same as me sticking an ad in yellow pages 10 years ago, costing £100, to see what it produces.

Good on you for giving it a go, a lot on here are of the opinion if the don't/haven't done it then its wrong.....something customer focused like those sort of sites you will have to be competetive but whats wrong with that if works quite....sooner be out and earn a tonne that sit at home with my thumb up my arse.

Good on you for giving it a go, a lot on here are of the opinion if the don't/haven't done it then its wrong.....something customer focused like those sort of sites you will have to be competetive but whats wrong with that if works quite....sooner be out and earn a tonne that sit at home with my thumb up my arse.
Is that what you do with your days off? I go out on my bike or go for a walk.

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] if you can get me a job at Aldi on checkout for that I'd pay you a weekly commission!

Subbies on site are given a price per meter they don't tell the contractor what he will pay so does that make all subbies s**t?
Also @mac has explained his reasons for doing so, this isn't his usual route of acquiring work and isn't a long term option. He's doing this to see what it brings in, doesn't make him bad at what he does, maybe he could of looked at it better from a business point of view earlier before it got to this but if that was the case he wouldn't be posting this thread.

Never said anything about site, subbies etc did I ??? ermmmm no I don't think I did its about mybuilder....

Aldi warehouse and checkout staff are on £8-10 an hour .... long shifts so nearly £100 -110 a day before tax .... say £100-120 on my builder before tax , lead fees, overheads, time quoting, fuel , tools etc etc . .... basically its £100 more a week plastering than aldi .... take out all the above and you have to ask yourself is £20 ish a day more worth having to pay a lab and running a business ...???

The point Im making is there's jobs that pay near that with no hassle or outlay of being self employed .... for me anything ive just said is just smart business rather than sitting there thinking I'm doing ok when over a year I bet an aldi's employees wages would roughly be the same as self employed as you might get quiet spells / rain offs etc

Is that what you do with your days off? I go out on my bike or go for a walk.
Aparantly we all have a male G spot in our special secret drug pocket.....dont know if thats a myth or not.

I've used my builder in the last month very competitive everybody after any little job ,one job on the other day customer didnt want work doing till late Jan eArly Feb looked on the site five interested in the job ,at mo most trades on there have loads of rating so it's hard work but looked at job last week ,board out a chimney breast after fire place removal and she text me to price up 3 ceilings for reskiming so it can have its bonus ,I've had regular work with property tits refurbing etc but even they can try to knock yer money down ,so I need to get back out there anywY I've been lazy n never got my van sign written so first job to be done once xmas out the way

And I forgot to add im not slagging anyone off ... where people live affects what they can charge and just because there charging what they do doesn't make them s**t either - im more saying from my point of view I have to earn ' x ' amount a day to make it worth my while etc

And I forgot to add im not slagging anyone off ... where people live affects what they can charge and just because there charging what they do doesn't make them s**t either - im more saying from my point of view I have to earn ' x ' amount a day to make it worth my while etc
£130 ish ?lol

Quick update.

I priced a 2 - storey extension at £1400 inc mats and not heard a thing back, priced against 4 others.

I expressed an interest in other jobs and 1 has rejected my interest (maybe for our low feedback, maybe because we don't come across as cheap)

So far

Jobs priced - 2
Costs - £13.20
Jobs won - 0

Not looking good.

Are you vat registered mac?
If so these kind of jobs are not worth pricing
The older folk will take on board your experience and you will win s few with them but the younger customers forget it
That's my experience any how

I'm about £5k off being vat and not sure how to proceed with it, i need to sit down with accountant and have a talk, it would price me out of a lot of work.

i am going to see what income i get from £100 of leads, then if not much comes in i will email them.

the problem i am finding is that i have set up a profile which i feel is very professional, nice photos, nice jobs. i think this is going against us as we may "look" expensive, but iv never wanted to be cheap or come across as cheap.

Don't worry about me lads, I'll have the labourer clean van out the odd day to make use of him, we've got bits and bobs booked in.

I just wanted to put an honest review of this particular site up seeing as a few people ask about it.

I have just had another shortlist priced at £8.00 plus vat so

Total out lay is now £13.20

Don't worry I won't go mad, just give it a week, see what happen.
your labourer can always clean my van I don't mind :)

The profile looks good Mac hopefully it will bring further work to you and having seen some of the work you turn out its all ways first class and professionally carried out.

I don't understand what you are doing with this to be honest, what direction are you trying to take your business? IMO with these types of sites your sifting through the dregs, fighting for scraps.

If I where you I'd get my books in order, you must be well over the threshold for VAT if you have been fitting render all year. Being VAT registered will put you into a better position to tender small developers, which mean long, well paid runs of work, a better type of work and the step in the right direction if you want to start making a decent profit from this game.

I don't understand what you are doing with this to be honest, what direction are you trying to take your business? IMO with these types of sites your sifting through the dregs, fighting for scraps.

If I where you I'd get my books in order, you must be well over the threshold for VAT if you have been fitting render all year. Being VAT registered will put you into a better position to tender small developers, which mean long, well paid runs of work, a better type of work and the step in the right direction if you want to start making a decent profit from this game.

My books are all up to date and in order, i regularly get invitations to tender for larger works but its always the same outcome, hours pricing off plans for nothing in return, recently got pestered like hell to render a frankie and bennies for k-rend, pestered me for days for a price and heard nothing back when i priced it, same goes with a developer i subbed to a long time ago, wanting a price for new build houses, to which iv since heard from a render supplier they are buggers for not paying and to keep clear.

Profits are healthy, very healthy, i could sit around for the next 4 weeks and do sod all, we have smaller works booked in the odd bedroom and living room and render works starting in spring.

iv already said I'm doing it to see what it returns, so i can say with 100% conviction whether its shite or not.

its a little bit hypocritical to sit there and say something is s**t, scrappy, dregs when you haven't tried it, it most probably will be shite, if it is, it is, iv lost £100, if it isn't, it isn't.

kind of like saying a restaurant up the road is wank, because its what you heard, id rather try something myself than go on what i think i know, its no risk to me.

the direction of the business is undecided, job enjoyment and satisfaction is the most important thing for me, not money, i don't wish to work for builders, developers or on sites as (from my experience) its dogshit and a fight for your money, i get the most pleasure from my work by working for domestic customers, the pays better, the jobs are better and a little more challenging, you get to meet different people from all walks of life.

iv worked for larger rendering and plastering companies, i have seen how commercial work is dog eat dog, for the moment, its not for me.

Last edited:
I'm not being hypocritical, I know a few lads that have dabbled in sites like these and its a race to the bottom, you have even said yourself you think people have avoided you because you might look expensive. I agree domestic work can be enjoyable and pay well, but you need the right customers, you will not find that type of customer there.

I do not do any large sites, just small developers and house builders and still do a fair bit of domestic in between. My experience is very different to yours it would seem.

My experience of working with the bigger boys, i endlessly get asked to tender for larger projects, i use to do them, but most were just wanting the prices to bounce off other firms and in the end it was costing me my time, the render firm i use to work for, my old boss who is now a rep was telling me they got done over for 4 houses by a local builder, just refused to pay, they then shut up shop.

i am only a 1&1 gang and i like it, i have no immediate intentions of trying to bite off more than i can chew or that i can comfortably handle, iv already doubled my turnover in 12 months and need to get a grasp of that, the extra paperwork, extra work and responsibility.

i am not defending mybuilder, i don't like the set up, but while iv got some free time i can't see the harm in giving it a go, only the same as sticking an ad in yellow pages for £100 and then telling your mates about the results.

regarding the type of customer that uses these sites, i can't say (i can guess) but i want to find out for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.