The gym and plastering

Members online

Cornelius

any guys pumping iron regularly struggle with sore muscles for work? I’ve laid off the weights a bit now in favour of more cardio but if I have a decent session on the rowing machine I’m still sore next day which is savage for skimming ceilings. I like to get in the gym and stay active but starting to think the two don’t really mix well. Who actually exercises? I don’t consider Plastering to be exercising even though it’s manual.

I honestly can't think of anything worse, I'm like the walking dead when I get in. Respect to anyone who can do both

any guys pumping iron regularly struggle with sore muscles for work? I’ve laid off the weights a bit now in favour of more cardio but if I have a decent session on the rowing machine I’m still sore next day which is savage for skimming ceilings. I like to get in the gym and stay active but starting to think the two don’t really mix well. Who actually exercises? I don’t consider Plastering to be exercising even though it’s manual.

Mate I have all on having a wank after work never we mind go to the gym!

I do!
I think I have it sorted.......I believe it’s all to do with protein......excersise damages muscle, the aches are the muscle trying to repair, as it repairs it grows.....so body builders work out hard, then get the protein in ...... I’ve started doing just that ...my workout is 30 mins of the hardest cardio I can manage....then some weights, I like a ladder, either progressive or regressive....
Good meat based protein is best but the shakes help as you can’t physically consume the amount you need to repair the tissue, but you can drink it...
Oh!, and rest.......it is possible to overtrain.

I might watch rocky though over the weekend
I love it, the first two were decent films but then it got a bit silly. Love the fourth one when he trains in Russia running up mountains and chopping wood and stuff, brilliant (y)

I do!
I think I have it sorted.......I believe it’s all to do with protein......excersise damages muscle, the aches are the muscle trying to repair, as it repairs it grows.....so body builders work out hard, then get the protein in ...... I’ve started doing just that ...my workout is 30 mins of the hardest cardio I can manage....then some weights, I like a ladder, either progressive or regressive....
Good meat based protein is best but the shakes help as you can’t physically consume the amount you need to repair the tissue, but you can drink it...

I train almost everyday and I put in big days plastering it can be done,it definately is diet that keeps it all going,as ur man said high protein is key,done 30 days in a row there training before work,it has left me flying at work,can't be sickened!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do!
I made myself quite ill some years ago downing loads of shakes and creatine and stuff, I had severe diarrhoea for months . Don’t go near the shakes now I think most of it goes straight through your digestive system and straight into the toilet.

I train almost everyday and I put in big days plastering it can be done,it definately is diet that keeps it all going,as ur man said high protein is key,done 30 days in a row there training before work,it has left me flying at work,can't be sickened!

Weights or cardio or mixture of both?

I made myself quite ill some years ago downing loads of shakes and creatine and stuff, I had severe diarrhoea for months . Don’t go near the shakes now I think most of it goes straight through your digestive system and straight into the toilet.
Meat protein is the best, shakes are....as they say on the packet......a supplement......
Get fit and eat animals.......that’s why god made them tasty.

Mixture of both was a 30 day challenge,very high intensity,best results I have ever got in a short space of time,it has left me full of energy at work!also helps that I'm mad about work[emoji39]

Mixture of both was a 30 day challenge,very high intensity,best results I have ever got in a short space of time,it has left me full of energy at work!also helps that I'm mad about work[emoji39]

You go in the morning or evening? I was doing mornings getting to the gym at 6am and training before work but it’s savage getting up that early so I’ve switched to evenings

I used to do weights three times a week, and boxing twice, til missus had the wee one, then found it hard to get the time and got out the way of it, started back last Jan to try and get in shape for wedding but I lost all heart and motivation now. Knowing the work it took to get on at it just depressed me too much. But definitely after arms or shoulders a heavy days floating or skimming ceilings was a torture. Arms pure dead. I did start to get back into boxing tried to get 2 - 3 times at least but jarred my wrist and wasn't happy with how it's healed and didn't want to go and jar it and end up of work because of it so I've not been in about 5 weeks now. It was even sore in the muscles when out the way of it bit after a week or two it wasnt sore again. If say no doubt I've lost whatever fitness I picked up since I've not been up. :rayos::tonto:

All mornings 6-7,class way to start the day,doing it again in January,bit of a rush to get to work for 8 but I'm never that far from home

Evenings for me. Eat a good lunch, a little rest after getting home and then two hours workout and a sauna....brill.....then a nice nutritious meal. I have more energy, less aches, and don’t feel lethargic....and,..... I’ve lost fat ....gained shoulder muscle.....trimmed my waist. Three times a week is good for me.

Meat protein is the best, shakes are....as they say on the packet......a supplement......
Get fit and eat animals.......that’s why god made them tasty.

Two things about that.

The protein shakes are for people who either don't have time/can't be arsed to eat all the meat or are vegetarian/similar or are trying to get so big that they either can't afford all that meat or they don't want the other associated nutrients, such as the fat.

Big steg head told me once that he'd need 3 chickens a day if he didn't have his powder.

Generally, for fitness, just eat good food and plenty of it.

Two things about that.

The protein shakes are for people who either don't have time/can't be arsed to eat all the meat or are vegetarian/similar or are trying to get so big that they either can't afford all that meat or they don't want the other associated nutrients, such as the fat.

Big steg head told me once that he'd need 3 chickens a day if he didn't have his powder.

Generally, for fitness, just eat good food and plenty of it.
We agree then.

The thought of going to a gym after using some 15mm fireline (47Kg) today would have pushed me over the edge.

• Agree
Reactions: Djr
We agree then.

Yup. I'm an absolute psycho for eating clean. Mostly because I despise the food industry.

Speaking of proper food. Turns out the man at the fish barrow fell down dead yesterday. Went in for a heart operation and never woke up. It's a terrible shame. I had some salt cod ordered for tomorrow and it doesn't look like I'll get it now.

Still, I noticed he always wore a good pair of boots. How soon do you suppose I could approach his widow for them? She won't be needing them, after all.

Last edited:
I did proper gym training for about 15 months with my bro in law ,split routine training, felt and looked loads better tbh but my back ( which always been a problem) started hurting more and I gave up , feel like s**t now to how I was when going but you are right corn the down side is if you do a proper legs workout it fucks you up for the next day at work for sure ,
Plasterers are either really skinny c**ts or fat bastards not very often you see one in between

I did proper gym training for about 15 months with my bro in law ,split routine training, felt and looked loads better tbh but my back ( which always been a problem) started hurting more and I gave up , feel like s**t now to how I was when going but you are right corn the down side is if you do a proper legs workout it fucks you up for the next day at work for sure ,
Plasterers are either really skinny c**ts or fat bastards not very often you see one in between

It's always your back that gives out.

1/ Don't worry too much about this progressive overload thing that you see on Youtube all the time. It's mostly for guys in their 20's or Steg Heads. Just train away. Persistence over a long period means ten times more than youtube inspired effort.

2/ Build in some circuit training. It doesn't ALL have to be big ass weights. Those big guys have zero fitness. I've seen girls who can throw 3kg around in ways that big huge guys can't once everyone is blowing.

3/ Speak to the gym instructor if you're struggling.

4/ If the gym instructor doesn't know, then speak to a physio. It can probably be sorted in one session.

It's always your back that gives out.

1/ Don't worry too much about this progressive overload thing that you see on Youtube all the time. It's mostly for guys in their 20's or Steg Heads. Just train away. Persistence over a long period means ten times more than youtube inspired effort.

2/ Build in some circuit training. It doesn't ALL have to be big ass weights. Those big guys have zero fitness. I've seen girls who can throw 3kg around in ways that big huge guys can't once everyone is blowing.

3/ Speak to the gym instructor if you're struggling.

4/ If the gym instructor doesn't know, then speak to a physio. It can probably be sorted in one session.
Tbh mate I know it’s my lowest lumbar that is the problem had it years , funny thing is reading this thread tonight kinda making me think I want to get back into training again after Christmas break , even just 3 times a week general workout would get me mojo back I think

Tbh mate I know it’s my lowest lumbar that is the problem had it years , funny thing is reading this thread tonight kinda making me think I want to get back into training again after Christmas break , even just 3 times a week general workout would get me mojo back I think

No Sir.

Today. Don't be a twatty New Year's Resolutionist.

My experience is that eating better is every bit as much a part of feeling better as the gym. It's entirely symmetrical.

I use to train in my local boxing gym... oddly I use to enjoy that aching feeling in the morning did about a year 18 months of it then broke away from the two idiots I worked with and then did not have any time to train at all

After leg day I can barely sit down on the toilet for the agony of aching muscles

I used to be a complete machine I did Thai boxing 4 times a week early 20s then had to stop through having a family tbh. Then in early 30s smashed the gym 5 nights a week got best shape of my life now early 40s do no training at all feel like I burnt myself out 2 early and put a lot of it down 2 working alongside training it's too much looking back! Got me thinking about getting back into it but the Idea is great but I cannot be assed!! Got how my mind set has changed lol and a lot is getting older you kind of stop giving a s**t ha!

I used to be a complete machine I did Thai boxing 4 times a week early 20s then had to stop through having a family tbh. Then in early 30s smashed the gym 5 nights a week got best shape of my life now early 40s do no training at all feel like I burnt myself out 2 early and put a lot of it down 2 working alongside training it's too much looking back! Got me thinking about getting back into it but the Idea is great but I cannot be assed!! Got how my mind set has changed lol and a lot is getting older you kind of stop giving a s**t ha!
As you have a family and get older the energy slowly but surely saps away, but I think I’m making excuses if I can’t find three or four hours in an entire week to stay healthy.

Not easy juggling the family and work an trying to fit in training,I have four children. Under the age of 4,training can be fitted in,the way I look at it what's the point in working hard if u don't have at least one thing for yourself,

f**k a duck
Last I've been in the gym was 20 years ago, if I've been since it was for a triple chocolate macchiato skinny latte with quadruple choco dust on top :coffe:
Puzzles me how can anyone have the drive going to the gym @6am, I can barely get off the shitter that time of the day let alone lifting some weights and watch others sweating.
:musculoso:

As you have a family and get older the energy slowly but surely saps away, but I think I’m making excuses if I can’t find three or four hours in an entire week to stay healthy.

That's where your eating comes in. If you're having a bowl of cornflakes, doing a morning's graft, a bacon butty, doing an afternoon's graft. going home and eating something of questionable nutritional value, then of course you're going to stagger about fcuked.

If you're going to hammer the graft AND the gym, then you have to eat for both or you'll find your body prioritising and the gym won't happen.