The Grand designs thread

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

plasterjfe

Private Member
Thought I would start a thread on all topics grand designs as it does crop up time and again.....

Just watching one now on more4 EWI render on the outside with the boarding done wrong :thumbdown:

Naughty boy

I'm using The Plasterers Forum Mobile App

I was at home today for new baby. Watched a program build my dream home chan4. They had ewi and boarding was wrong on there aswell. Small cuts no l shapes round the windows

Which one was that @plasterjfe

I was at home today for new baby. Watched a program build my dream home chan4. They had ewi and boarding was wrong on there aswell. Small cuts no l shapes round the windows

Basically same thing as what dansouthcoast is saying there no pin pattern and boards cuts through the window heads (no L) instead of whole.

It was a house for a guy in a wheelchair

Last edited by a moderator:
You have just made me check the photos of the Aquapanel jobs we have done on GD.... they have all been done right!

I know what you mean though.... I see lots of little things that if they were on more comercial projects being built to a spec, and managed properly, would be picked up.

Not sure if many of these projects get a warranteed system, but the manufacturers all like the advertising!

GD do not actively go out and get suppliers involved in their projects, they are more a fly on the wall while the build is going on.... some of the others are more involved...

Sadly - I love watching them.... and me and the Mrs dream of doing our own one day!

Plot of land in childwall with planning on it for a nice detached house and I would snap it if I could make the figures up but unfortunately its a tad out of reach.

Prob go icf if I was doing my own.....
What would you lot go for

Depends on the budget John.....

SIP or timber frame... but would get all the design and detail right before start on site!

I like the idea of ICF, but when the concrete is poured, it is fingers crossed time. If it blows, the budget is gone!

Last edited:
Depends on the budget John.....

SIP or timber frame... but would get all the design and detail right before start on site!

I like the idea of ICF, but when the concrete is poured, it is fingers crossed time. If it blows, the budget is gone!

Not with a properly tied install. A good thick board and pour every few courses.

Most installers on price get up to first floor before they do a pour and the sheer weight bursts it. And you can do it blocking yourself so save money that way.

I like timber frame but it's slower.
I also like single skin block at 8inch clad with a 200mm Ewi system. Not quite passivhaus standard but very very good

Plot of land in childwall with planning on it for a nice detached house and I would snap it if I could make the figures up but unfortunately its a tad out of reach.

Prob go icf if I was doing my own.....
What would you lot go for

im looking at buying a plot this year, if we can make the finances work. ill be looking at a stone build as opposed to a render finish though.

Lol..... It's rendered over with lime :RpS_thumbup:

Edit: And extremely fire-resistant apparently. He did explain it to me but as it was an engineer/plasterer conversation most of it went in one ear and out the other :RpS_laugh:

A castle would be good, then when I see these renderers from St Helens coming over on the horizon in there banger vans, I can lift the drawbridge up to keep the beggars out.

Status
Not open for further replies.