The future

Status
Not open for further replies.

Floater1

Im also new to this forum and like it very much some of the things iv read have been very helpfull.
Iv been plastering for 6 months, i started out with a fleet of 5 plasterers to learn the trade and planned to do the NVQs in a 3 year course 1 day a week at the tech and 4 days on the job. My boss convinced me that getting qualifications isnt neccesary and advised me to just work with him 5 days week and learn from there. but 6 months on im begining to worry about the future, will i be able to start my own business in future years without any qualifications, just experience?????? :-?

You will always be able to start your own business its just that some sites will not let you on without a CSCS card. This card is issued when you complete the H&S test but it also as the details of what you have been trained in. Honest advice here mate if you can get a NVQ then get one.

my advice 2 matey! the law makes it mandatory in 2010 (21 months) to have a "skilled" CSCS card, and to get a skilled card you must have a NVQ 2 in plastering, around 40 % os sites are actually operating this system already and it is hitting people hard. There are some tilers out there who i know and they have 30 - 35 years experience and very good at what they do but are getting turned away from sites as their CSCS says (non skilled - general operative), yet someone who has just passed there NVQ with relatively low experience can get on and make good money.

i personally think the goverment could have advertised this better because time is running out and so many people are still not aware of the changes to CSCS.

well thats me on me soap box!!!! ;D

i think that you would be luky to find anywhere doing eveing classes but if you have experince you would only need to be assessed doing your job, so there would be no need to stop earning your money, thats what OSAT is on site assessment and training, all you do is prove your existing competence is at a level 2 standard and if there are any areas that arnt then your assessor would tell what you needed to improve on for the next visit. apart from that your local college would be the best people to contact for evening classess

Thanks alot guys!! Im looking into it. I would love to take one of those golden trowel, or city and guild courses but as im based in Kilrea, Co. Derry in Northern Ireland, i cant! do ny of u guys no of nywere in Northern Ireland i could go for a course in plastering. Its frustrating as i cant seem to find nywere, exept the tech but i missed my chance to go there, and they wont let me start late!! Im really worried by what martin said and need HELP!!

Thanx m8 uv been a great help much appreciated :) :p i looked in to antrim college and i can begin a course with them, but i have to wait to september, and its on day release, dont know if the boss will be too happy about that!! ;D :p lol thanks again m8

Status
Not open for further replies.