Terms & conditions ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gooner59

Private Member
How many of you guys have written T &C that your customers sign before you commence working for them, just to cover yourselfes ? & where did you get your T&C's from ? have you had a solicitor check them over ? Just curios ...:)

I still take them on trust, but I'm a fairly good judge of character, so if they pass my interview stage I'll take them on. Obviously depends on the size of the job as well, but my main consideration is getting the money sorted so I'll email details such as this (staged payments etc.) telling them that a reply is required before I can book the job in. I'm on domestics only mind - fook the 'builders' :RpS_thumbup:

I was caught a few times a few years back, one was a developer that proper stitch me up, sending me bankrupt. So I'm a little "sensitive" now if a customer is slow paying.

I no longer work for builders/developers, but work direct for domestic clients only. The work is smaller projects, but they pay better, and with less hassle.

To fully cover myself, I now also have the following on the bottom of every quote (It's a template I made, so I don't actually type this every time).

Payment Schedule.

Work in excess of £1000, requires 25% deposit prior to commencing works.
Works in excess of £3000 will require a further 2 payments of 25% each at previously agreed stages during the works.

In all cases, full/final payment due on satisfactory completion.

Since doing this (2 years ago) I've not had a single negative comment, or adverse reaction to it. Generally I don't even mention it, and the customer usually offers me the deposit without any prompting from me.
Since taking this route, I've not had one single bad debt. Never been out of work, and my profit margin has gone up.

I was caught a few times a few years back, one was a developer that proper stitch me up, sending me bankrupt. So I'm a little "sensitive" now if a customer is slow paying.

I no longer work for builders/developers, but work direct for domestic clients only. The work is smaller projects, but they pay better, and with less hassle.

To fully cover myself, I now also have the following on the bottom of every quote (It's a template I made, so I don't actually type this every time).

Payment Schedule.

Work in excess of £1000, requires 25% deposit prior to commencing works.
Works in excess of £3000 will require a further 2 payments of 25% each at previously agreed stages during the works.

In all cases, full/final payment due on satisfactory completion.

Since doing this (2 years ago) I've not had a single negative comment, or adverse reaction to it. Generally I don't even mention it, and the customer usually offers me the deposit without any prompting from me.
Since taking this route, I've not had one single bad debt. Never been out of work, and my profit margin has gone up.
Lesson,
learned, we all should do this but if builders go belly up ,the pot is empty,, lots of them do it all the time
in Ireland lots were at it, some came over here and did it too, underpricing jobs then knocking the subbies and materials, belly up start again cunnts

Last edited:
The firm I work for asks for an "acceptance form" to be completed and signed. It's to be returned with a deposit before a work date is agreed.

The only exception is regular clients builders and the like.

Some me people get funny about it after watching cowboy builders etc. Builder takes a deposit and disappears but it's not many.

I have t&c's but getting a deposit upfront I would think is impossible. The only time I insist is for special ordered in materials. But I do offer direct payment to the merchant.

I do want a signed acceptance of quote which becomes a contract. Without it no start. Done this since 1986 and had little trouble since but got robbed regularly before then.

Builders won't sign a contract so give them a miss.

Trust no one

The job I'm on right now almost insisted that I take almost 25% up front, I'm surprised & happy. Some years ago, mind you I'm across the pond, I got called to a small mansion restoration project I was recommended by my material supplier. First thing I had the contractor sign a well worded contract when I'm to get paid, what happens if I don't get paid, what percentage (18%) to be charged on monies owed if not paid on time. Got the first payment with some trouble and then his check book shut down everybody's checks were bouncing and he kept blaming his bank. All the contractors went after him in court and the damn court protected his ass. My contract was ignored I didn't get my interest on money owed and after three years he sold the property paid everybody off with almost no interest and was able to make almost $600,000.00 US off of the sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.