Taping and jointing

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
and the sanding down is sh@t, but if you can plaster why do you not know about T&J ??

and the sanding down is  sh@t, but if you can plaster why do you not know about T&J ??
Never had to do it as i work mostly in the private sector on skimming contracts
where i just scrim the joints
Hows it done then?

Never done it before,anyone give me some idea of the sort of job it is to do.Mate has asked me to have a go.
hi fella- done t and jointing for 11 years on and off and its a piece o piss . scrim on the board joints and flush coat the tapered joint with a filling compund- this has a one hour setting time so only mix what ur gonna use .when thats set u use a joint cement applied with an 11 inch trowel- cement stays alive for ever when mixed unlike the filler. best to give it 2 tight cement coats as its easier to rub down-which is the s**t part of the job. use 100-120 grit sand paper and it helps to sponge off the edges of the joints to cut down on sanding time. for internals i usually use paper tape as its stronger than scrim-get an internal corner trowel (marshaltown do one for 8 quid ) apply mud with a knife the wipe down the internals with the corner trowel. externals are usually done with flexi tape- a paper tape with metal backing u fold onto a 90 degree external thats been coated with filler-press down the tape and wipe of the filler with ur knife then fill with filler-when set apply 2 coats of cement.

Hate it with a passion, a cheap alternative to plastering. Never ever get as good a finish with taping and filling as plastering. Put it this way most painters and decorators do it so theres no great skill to it. It all boils down to money its half price compared to plastering!

Board jointing has its place, why they do it on houses is beyond me to tell you the truth, but on the factories and big ceilings its invaluable there are times when a plaster finish just isnt practical, times like that it comes into its own.

is tape jointing any cheaper than skimming ?
in it's defence it's cleaner ........not sure about any quicker

Theres a diffrence on price up here, skim coating on board is about £10-£12 a m2 whereas taping and filling is about £4-£5 m2.

Theres a diffrence on price up here, skim coating on board is about £10-£12 a m2 whereas taping and filling is about £4-£5 m2.
is that supply an fix mate or just fix?

Status
Not open for further replies.