Tape showing through finish.

Wayne soppitt

Hello guys and girls , a question that has probably been asked a thousand times.
Today had 2 guys come and skim 2 rooms , the best on the firm apparently.
To the untrained eye most looks good but I did notice in a corner tape was showing through and could feel it . The finish depth of the skim is no more than 1mm thick at the doorway so guessing most of it is not going to be much thicker.only remember seeing them apply 1 lot of finish , asked them if they were applying 2 coats and they said they did.finish is fantastic but I'm worried if it's that thin will start to crack. Advice on what to do please.

I’m gonna stick up for the spreads here because I’ve had this situation myself, if the finish is good overall paint it and see , it’s ok saying you can see tape but if boarding is crap across a biggish wall what are they supposed to do , fill it all out for free ?

Lets see a picture.. if you can feel it chances are you going to see it .. get them back to make right if youre unhappy.. or if youre scared too use abit of easi fill over it. I dont prefer it because youre creating thicker layers on top but easier fix.

Actually if it’s a re skim and said area has a big belly then without making that belly even bigger the scrim maybe seen.

Put a straight edge on the area if it see saws then there is the problem.

The area in question is a small cupboard of about 1.6m x 0.6m
Will take pictures when home tonight.
They were working on a day rate so didn't need to rush it and all materials were supplied.in whole it's only really the cupboard that it's seen , most would think what's the problem but it's principle and I want to know where I stand before they come back in a fortnight to finish other rooms.

They were working on a day rate so didn't need to rush it and all materials were supplied.in whole it's only really the cupboard that it's seen , most would think what's the problem but it's principle and I want to know where I stand before they come back in a fortnight to finish other rooms.
Depending on how bad it is it sounds like they've scrimped in the cupboard, god knows why.
Pictures will definitely help.

If your not happy get them to 're do it? End of argument??

Prop had a improver spreading the cupboards area to learn. Out of site out of mind.

I’m gonna stick up for the spreads here because I’ve had this situation myself, if the finish is good overall paint it and see , it’s ok saying you can see tape but if boarding is crap across a biggish wall what are they supposed to do , fill it all out for free ?
Yea that’s exactly what they should do !!!

Yea that’s exactly what they should do !!!
But it really isn't is it?
When you're paid to apply a 2mm skim then you don't have a duty to fill out walls to line through to high points. This is why BG state that where a higher quality finish is required boarding should receive a Bonding coat first. How many want to pay for that? Not many in my experience.

But it really isn't is it?
When you're paid to apply a 2mm skim then you don't have a duty to fill out walls to line through to high points. This is why BG state that where a higher quality finish is required boarding should receive a Bonding coat first. How many want to pay for that? Not many in my experience.
I’m paid to leave the wall looking like a snooker table and that’s how I leave it , how much longer does it take to feather out either side of the high spot? Let it it go off a bit then hit the wall, at least to the eye it looks flat !!

I’m paid to leave the wall looking like a snooker table and that’s how I leave it , how much longer does it take to feather out either side of the high spot? Let it it go off a bit then hit the wall, at least to the eye it looks flat !!
Perhaps that's the arrangement you have with your clients but it isn't an industry standard.
I'll happily feather out a trowel width or so of a high joint, but no one has the right to expect it unless they've asked for such works to be allowed for when pricing.
Boarding is only the equivalent of a floating coat and I'm sure that if for some reason you were skimming someone else's floating you wouldn't be expecting to straighten it, or would you?
Obviously if we've done the boarding (we usually do) that's a whole different matter.

Perhaps that's the arrangement you have with your clients but it isn't an industry standard.
I'll happily feather out a trowel width or so of a high joint, but no one has the right to expect it unless they've asked for such works to be allowed for when pricing.
Boarding is only the equivalent of a floating coat and I'm sure that if for some reason you were skimming someone else's floating you wouldn't be expecting to straighten it, or would you?
Obviously if we've done the boarding (we usually do) that's a whole different matter.
And if the floating needed to be built out to a frame 50 Mm for example you would only do industry standard 12/15 Mm cos that’s what bg say ??? Not that it’s the right thing to do ? Yea obviously things have to been discussed with the client beforehand, the pros and cons of doing /not doing the job properly.The client also has the right to expect a 1st class job . Perhaps we’re different horses on different courses,

And if the floating needed to be built out to a frame 50 Mm for example you would only do industry standard 12/15 Mm cos that’s what bg say ??? Not that it’s the right thing to do ? Yea obviously things have to been discussed with the client beforehand, the pros and cons of doing /not doing the job properly.The client also has the right to expect a 1st class job . Perhaps we’re different horses on different courses,
Well if somehow or other the floating needed to be 50mm thick to get out to a frame I definitely wouldn't be touching it unless it was signed of as an extra, that's for sure.
I'm not sure that we're trying to reach a different outcome, but maybe we take a different path to get there?
We're often told how reasonable our prices are, this is because we price to do a good job assuming that we're following good tradespeople.
We cover this in our terms and conditions.
If we have to do extra work (we'll swallow a little) then we expect to be paid for it. We're not a registered charity.
Maybe, I obviously don't know, maybe you just price higher in the first instance to cover most eventualities? Maybe you just swallow the loses?
Either way as long as both our clients are happy and we're happy with our earnings we've achieved our goals.
What I don't agree with is people expecting more than they're prepared to pay for. No one gets a new Merc for the price of a Fiesta.

Well if somehow or other the floating needed to be 50mm thick to get out to a frame I definitely wouldn't be touching it unless it was signed of as an extra, that's for sure.
I'm not sure that we're trying to reach a different outcome, but maybe we take a different path to get there?
We're often told how reasonable our prices are, this is because we price to do a good job assuming that we're following good tradespeople.
We cover this in our terms and conditions.
If we have to do extra work (we'll swallow a little) then we expect to be paid for it. We're not a registered charity.
Maybe, I obviously don't know, maybe you just price higher in the first instance to cover most eventualities? Maybe you just swallow the loses?
Either way as long as both our clients are happy and we're happy with our earnings we've achieved our goals.
What I don't agree with is people expecting more than they're prepared to pay for. No one gets a new Merc for the price of a Fiesta.
I don’t agree with people expecting more than they’re prepared to pay for , but that’s not in question here? I said if there’s any high spots I don’t think it’s unreasonable to try and feather them out to the eye at least and u disagreed with that , your right I do charge to do get over things I see will show on the finish , like I say horses for courses , maybe I’m just lucky with clients Who accept what I say , who knows ??
I can only speak as I find