Tape removal tip

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loren

Last week I worked on a front of a house where I skimmed some acrylics over some existing brick. there was some new high end anodized windows & door frames. I was worried about using too high of tack tape so I ran a strip of blue tape around the perimeters and then taped to that with a heaver tack & poly film. We had some direct sunlight & some cold weather cycles before it was time to remove the tape. the Blue tape was stuck like glue :(. Put on my thinking cap and ran an extension cord to the work and grabbed my 1850 watt hair dryer I keep in my van. I heated up short lengths of the tape at a time and it released really nicely!!!! Just thought I'd share….

If you leave the tape on for a long time it's always a nightmare to remove it after you done. I found this didn't work well for me cos I was able to remove the tape, but not the glue underneath . One day I found a almost empty bottle with window cleaner, left behind from the guys, and tried on the next job- magic ! It came so easy off without struggle. I couldn't ask them what it was cos I never saw them again and the bottle has the lable removed, but it superb using on windows to remove top coat,primer, tape glue and the stains of the base coat. So if anybody knows what is the magic pls spill the beans:rolleyes)

If you leave the tape on for a long time it's always a nightmare to remove it after you done. I found this didn't work well for me cos I was able to remove the tape, but not the glue underneath . One day I found a almost empty bottle with window cleaner, left behind from the guys, and tried on the next job- magic ! It came so easy off without struggle. I couldn't ask them what it was cos I never saw them again and the bottle has the lable removed, but it superb using on windows to remove top coat,primer, tape glue and the stains of the base coat. So if anybody knows what is the magic pls spill the beans:rolleyes)
You can buy the cleaner from most upvc manufacturing places its about £3 a bottle.It is simply called upvc solvent cleaner . I always carry a bottle for tape residue.If its the same it stinks like very strong pear drops.

Last week I worked on a front of a house where I skimmed some acrylics over some existing brick. there was some new high end anodized windows & door frames. I was worried about using too high of tack tape so I ran a strip of blue tape around the perimeters and then taped to that with a heaver tack & poly film. We had some direct sunlight & some cold weather cycles before it was time to remove the tape. the Blue tape was stuck like glue :(. Put on my thinking cap and ran an extension cord to the work and grabbed my 1850 watt hair dryer I keep in my van. I heated up short lengths of the tape at a time and it released really nicely!!!! Just thought I'd share….
ive always wondered why you never have a hair out of place on your youtube vids Loren!

You're probably thinking about the plasterer down in California that uses those pool trowels to spread stucco.

Status
Not open for further replies.