Tanking slurry

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

tinlip

Just a quick question on when to use tanking slurry.
Different people give different explanations as where to install the slurry. Some say onto the substructure and others insist that it goes on top of the scratch coat.

For me. Surely it goes on to the substructure in ordeerr to protect the render from damp returning. I f it was on top of the render then any returning damp would surely cause the adhesion to fail/blow thus rendering the tanking useless.

Anyone have any other ideas on this ?

I always put it over a coat off render cos its the spec. Like carlos says keep to the manufacturers spec

Depends on the substrate, usually you can contact your supplier and they will give you a spec.

i.e. tanking a concrete underground car park will be different to a wall with a high external ground height.

Its all about preference, we make sure lots of sbr goes into out render coats as the more barriers the better.

a lot of it is down to where the wall is ! ie if the wall is underground like in a cellar it goes on a modified render but if its above ground its ok on the substrate.

I tanked my above ground floor with ka after putting two sika coats on, but I was below my neighbours side, I think they also have a burst drain which leads to major ingress, seems to have worked, the slurry is very expensive, how could you afford it for a big basement

I tank above ground where next doors chimney backs on the the house in dpc-ing because if there chimney is backed up it will bridge and bypass my damp course.

I know someone who tanked the inside of his stone house, then he studded, insulated and boarded.

Some companies say you can use it on penetrating damp.

I have used it on chimney stacks.

Well what the guy I know did was painted a cement slurry over the top to knock back the condensation

Status
Not open for further replies.