Tanking a wall that is buried in earth

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucian

Hi, I live in a council flat that had a lot of damp proofing work done prior to me moving in six years ago.

Most of it has failed. Some issues, such as water draining over the side of the steps of the property above I have identified and sorted out myself.

But there are two walls where I cannot do anything about the external problems - one is the retaining wall at the back of my bathroom. It is buried in unremovable earth from top to bottom.

The other problem is part of my hallway and toilet are at the end of someone else's garden - I live in a Victorian basement flat and I think when it was built they incorporated the original rear garden wall of that property into a side wall of this one.

That garden has been raised to a level of 70 cms over the ground level of my property. I.E. Above the DPC.

On both walls the Silka tanking system was used. It began to fail as soon as I moved in, and they came back numerous times to cover up this failure. I.E. The cowboys favourite friend Unibond. But finally they admitted the whole thing has to be done again. But they're just going to do exactly the same thing again. I.E. The Silka tanking system.

I'm refusing to let them do this as I believe the same thing will happen all over again, and what needs to be done is a membrane/batten/plasterboard tanking system in the bathroom retaining wall, and some kind of vertical DPC to stop it spreading to the side wall, which it has.

And for the neighbours - leaseholders, rich ones - to be ordered to take their garden back to its original level. Which would be below the DPC in my Hallway/toilet.

I'd appreciate some advice as whether I am in the right or wrong on this issue, as it seems to me my local council is allowing this company to scam tax payers money - they only give a 5 year guarantee on their tanking systems, and as they dragged it out for 6 years they'll get paid all over gain for doing the same thing.

you need a membrane with a drainage system installed behind it look at newton membranes site

Spot on JR for agreeing with Lucius who agrees with Martin who agrees with Keith who agrees with Gibbo :RpS_thumbup:

i dnt agree with fatarm disagreeing with beader, nisus, lucius, martin, me, keith and gibbo

we done a basement with it and its bone dry.they fix it onto the brick work using plastic plugs.think called delta plugs.horrable stuff 2 coat onto.

plastic membranes got to be the best form of damp proofing ..easily installed...
as above shyte to plaster on ...with no suction ...in most cases you can use a gypsum bases backing coat as you are not making contact with the damp wall...

Or you can fix battens into the plugs and plaster board or dab straight over. Depends on the type of membrain.

How do you fix battens into the plugs Carlos? Without affecting the integrity of the system I mean.
I've dabbed boards onto them before, which was straightforward enough :RpS_thumbup:

You can get the fixing plugs that take a screw bubbles.
Membrane-Fixing-Product-Page-Image_zps2dd446ed.jpg
:RpS_thumbup:
Black-plugs-in-hand200_zps5306bbc7.jpg

I prefer to dab boards on tbh

Last edited:
although its more of a ballache to batten the wall out as you have to get the holes lines up perfectly with the plugs id rather batten and board as you can insulate the cavity aswell

thats what we try to do if we can

..couple of jobs wanted lime render
over membrane to keep the look..

right barsteward ....

although its more of a ballache to batten the wall out as you have to get the holes lines up perfectly with the plugs id rather batten and board as you can insulate the cavity aswell

You could just use a Gypliner system. It will be a lot easier fixing the brackets in the CD plugs.

You can get the fixing plugs that take a screw bubbles.
Membrane-Fixing-Product-Page-Image_zps2dd446ed.jpg
:RpS_thumbup:
Black-plugs-in-hand200_zps5306bbc7.jpg

I prefer to dab boards on tbh

Cheers, You've educated me :RpS_thumbup:

I've only ever used the Oldroyd P system, don't know if they have them things like, but as JR says they've gotta be a right fker to line up............

Last edited:
its also better to use a cavity membrane from a thermal point of view, as if there is no cavity, using a membrane the room will retain heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.