tadelakt substrates

thing is people ask for tadelakt as a finish, they like it's inconsistencies, the micro cracks that develop over time, the patina

there's no point saying it's crap and offering them a different product

Like always it's about underpinning knowledge Or lack of it in some cases, bit it's also about helping people and learning New ways.Recently done a Tadelakt job in Holland Park, it's what the customer wanted, however, my previous threads have stated that Carrara is a very sound system and contrary to various statements on here there are various sytems of a carrara application. There's 3 systems that I know of and have used for many years which customers see through Interior Desginers, and that's what they see and like. With education and communication they do come onboard with New designs. I also use a Palladiano system which can be usd externally and applying a basecoat of this just completes any system out there parallel to Tadelakt.

oki doki carraraboy, the challenge is on.

I'll find a load of pics of tadelakt in bath houses (hammams) across Arabia that have been used for centuries. There still there, in fact there are external applications of tadelakt that have been around just as long and longer.

I want evidence, proof, and rational, logical debate on this. Back up your claims.

pic 01.JPG

Ok Twitcher, I'm not teaching you to suck eggs,any chance I can see your work, i'm not going to even think about start loading my website onto here and I don't need to advertise on here, and I won't however, the debate is called logic, work it out for yourself. I suppose when you have been in this game a while understanding venetian in itself is an art, but i will not start telling people how it's done, too many chancers. Feel free to pm me. Have a good one. By the way what area you in, coz got loads on maybe you can jump in and use your skills. Just an offer

View attachment 1647

Ok Twitcher, I'm not teaching you to suck eggs,any chance I can see your work, i'm not going to even think about start loading my website onto here and I don't need to advertise on here, and I won't however, the debate is called logic, work it out for yourself. I suppose when you have been in this game a while understanding venetian in itself is an art, but i will not start telling people how it's done, too many chancers. Feel free to pm me. Have a good one. By the way what area you in, coz got loads on maybe you can jump in and use your skills. Just an offer

Nice wall i have to say. What area are you in?

:RpS_laugh:...............second funniest post ive ever read nick............:RpS_thumbup:

carraraboy if your the person I spoke to from Uveco a couple of years back regarding stencilling I was very gratefull for your time and knowledge.
If not then sorry for my mistake.
After reading your threads etc i admire your passion for your work.
cant imagine today's premiership footballers starting a forum because of their passion for football!

Its good to have a passion for what you do. I discovered venetian plastering about a year ago and i'm totally hooked on the stuff!!!!

Its good to have a passion for what you do. I discovered venetian plastering about a year ago and i'm totally hooked on the stuff!!!!

hi Mike,
yes I really enjoy working with the materials and like the smell off it. Dabbled for around seven years and attended 3 courses which I can tell you about later.
Not done many jobs but haven't pushed it too much either.Enjoy making the sample boards and have a couple in the van to show people who ask about it.
Are you getting yourself work?

oh yes mike I really like the smell of venetian plaster,

yeah clucking hell, I smear PVA all over my ballsack and roll in bonding

ffs

The work is definitely coming in. Sorry twitcher :-(........ I have to ask tho.....does the pva not pull the pubes out of your ball sack?????

Back on track slightly......has anyone ever tried thompsons waterseal on their polished plaster???

Yea ive tried thompson water seal on my (marmorino classic) in the past, I put 2 coats of aqua seal on and then 2 coats of thompsons. It dried rearly shiney with a nice seal and looked great.... I didnt like the smell of it but would defo do it again, twice dead hard. :RpS_wink:

I have waitedn to see what you have to say. So like I've said before, which tadelakt are you using. So when you talk about this, from the txt book that's why I differ. As I have stated already the reason why it fails. Stay with your txt book, no offence, and then go a do a load then you will see what I'm talking about. I did ask for some of your work to be displayed. There are many users on here that have used it, and yet again, it depends where you get it from and what you are going over. The Aqua Panel you are talking about, is better with a tanking kit over it, and then and only then it depends on the tadelakt you are using and the waxes, simple. So as I have said already you are better using Carrara 3 coat and then classic 3 coat. That system is full proof in wetroom, shower room. Because of the durability and it stops possible penetration over the longevity.ie. 5 yrs down the line when everything has battered it.

never heard so much s**t in all my life

oki doki carraraboy, the challenge is on.

I'll find a load of pics of tadelakt in bath houses (hammams) across Arabia that have been used for centuries. There still there, in fact there are external applications of tadelakt that have been around just as long and longer.

I want evidence, proof, and rational, logical debate on this. Back up your claims.

Like always it's about underpinning knowledge Or lack of it in some cases, bit it's also about helping people and learning New ways.Recently done a Tadelakt job in Holland Park, it's what the customer wanted, however, my previous threads have stated that Carrara is a very sound system and contrary to various statements on here there are various sytems of a carrara application. There's 3 systems that I know of and have used for many years which customers see through Interior Desginers, and that's what they see and like. With education and communication they do come onboard with New designs. I also use a Palladiano system which can be usd externally and applying a basecoat of this just completes any system out there parallel to Tadelakt.

Let's be honest how often do they shower peewe :p

I'm using The Plasterers Forum Mobile App

Lime plaster failure..(tadelakt, marmorino, carrara etc etc etc) 90% of the time will be due to..1) Fault of the applicator...2.) incorrect system to which it has been applied to..(bad substrate prep).....the applicator seldom accept they have made an error and then start blaming the materials....

Tadelakt has been used in morocco for centuries for baths, showers etc, marmorino was used by the romans to line aquaducts for centuries...please don't listen to a word people say when they start saying it is not waterproof...furthermore when you start sealing up marmorino, tadelakt with waxes IT IS NOT BREATHABLE OR HYGROSCOPIC!!!! it has been SEALED!!! and yes they are both perfectly ok to use in baths, showers as long as the correct system is used and correct application is followed

there are many variables which effect carbonation, but regarding temps, As long as temps are between 5oc and 30oc slaked lime will carbonate....if you start applying waxes before the lime has carbonated this will interfere with the process and u may have problems down the line

In all honesty nearly all venetian marble plaster products on the market are synthetic!!!,,,yes they have slaked lime in them but they have resins and glues added...why..because they are a business and they want a product to be idiot proof with as little come back as possible....If you make your own marmorino you will soon see it is a completely different ballgame...you will also notice that the smell of lime putty is a nice natural smell...all lime putty smells the same, it is calcium hydoxide....if you open up a pot of 'marmorino' and it has a sharp chemical smell, that means it has synthetic additives and will also look synthetic on the wall....I have used coverit, marco polo, stucco italiano etc etc..they are all synthetic but market it as natural as they have natural components in them....make your own, experiment with it, you will make much better marmorino and for a third of the cost!!

too many response without meaning in this thread.

but Ill clarify a couple things, that I didnt notice.

a few references to Moroccan walls ...which is where tadelakt originated

1: tadelakt is not a material it is a method

2: just because something has been sealed ...doesn't mean its not breathable....there are many modern breathable sealers available today

3: tadelakt is not "waterproof" it is water resistant...and there is a big difference

tadelakt method will work in any region / area it has worked in Morocco for eons.......why?....look at there substrates...in old times ...walls 3 feet thick made of earth. ( today new buildings are concrete and at times still finished with tadelakt

it is the wet/dry cycles that will kill any material, in a thin application

so doing a tadelakt on a modern day steel stud or wood frame....IMO is asking for a disaster...it will just take time before the disaster happens

can it be done....sure....do you have a wall that looks like tadelakt...yep..can it be compared to the ancient walls in morroco ....feckno

heres an exterior I did about 6 years ago.............its minus 11 c here today.

Exterior Tadelakt - Authentic Venetian Plaster and Stucco | Vancouver BC.

Right. It's been sometime, I went AWOL for a bit ;)

This thread is an embarrassment because of the way it was trolled. Well done to other people who chipped in later though :) There's a lot of experience and knowledge out there that deserves some recognition.

So, since this thread seems to feature quiet heavily in search engines etc.. I'm gonna wait a week or two and then pull it. I'll post another thread after that asking about substrates and Tadelakt again.

How's does that sound?

I care. It's the first time I've read this and it's full of interesting information. I've never used or played with any tadelakt. I apply different brands of venetian plaster and one brand of micro cement. I would like to play with tadelakt when I get time.

I'm looking for info on tadelakt too. I've been playing around with mixing different things into my lime, I've got it so it makes a beautiful plaster that holds together really well with wool mixed in....it just doesn't stick to my concrete yet. I can peal the tadelakt off of my sample brick in one sheet. It doesn't crack or flake or anything. I just end up with sort of a tadelakt carpet...haha. From reading about other peoples projects/experiments I think maybe using a lime wall finish to prime my concrete may fix my problem? One blog I read said the lime stuck beautifully to a rubber coating that was applied over the concrete.... I might try that. Any better suggestions out there? I'm building an outdoor mini natural swimming pool in the high dessert by the way. :)

I'm looking for info on tadelakt too. I've been playing around with mixing different things into my lime, I've got it so it makes a beautiful plaster that holds together really well with wool mixed in....it just doesn't stick to my concrete yet. I can peal the tadelakt off of my sample brick in one sheet. It doesn't crack or flake or anything. I just end up with sort of a tadelakt carpet...haha. From reading about other peoples projects/experiments I think maybe using a lime wall finish to prime my concrete may fix my problem? One blog I read said the lime stuck beautifully to a rubber coating that was applied over the concrete.... I might try that. Any better suggestions out there? I'm building an outdoor mini natural swimming pool in the high dessert by the way. :)

@RobJack

Try a primer I'd say