Switches and sockets

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

User________removed

Private Member
All my work is domestic, and i was always taught to remove sockets and switches, put the wires in connector blocks tape up and coil in the boxes then skim, i still do this religiously and if the sockets are caked in paint i clean up before refitting at the end of a shift... Ive just watched a vid on youtube of a bloke spreading a kitchen i think, and the switches and sockets are covered in finish, not to mention now set in the wall, he even runs his finger in some plaster then round the socket to try and make it neater lol.

Does anyone else on domestic take the switches off ? go round them or bag them up ? or just leave them where they are and skim up to them !!! interested to see what others do, surely taking them off makes for a tidier job.

He is a disgrace.

I'm not as well behaved as you, but i always always always unscrew and pull the fronts away from the wall to plaster behind properly. If someone previously has plastered them into the wall I take a couple of mins to digs them out and scrape the stupid plaster back level. Lazy otherwise

im with you airborne, its a better job taking them off. I'm a tad OCD about people leaving paints on sockets, it takes seconds to scrape it off and it looks more pro......................:RpS_thumbup:. been on a few jobs where other spreads have buried the sockets when re-skimming..................its just laziness

I bead round them then completely over skim them to make nice neat features. On a serious note you not think taking the wires out and fitting junction boxes is a little excessive?

I unscrew and bag them up. . But you already know that.

I like the sound of removing all sockets. Might give it a try next time

I unscrew them , but leave them connected and bag them with those blue plastic overshoes :RpS_thumbup:
ideal for it. As for not takin sockets,switches off is just lazy and looks shiiiiit:RpS_mad:

I worked on a new site where the sockets were German, the boxes were fitted with a rubber plate with soft rubber spikes, when finished troweling it was easy to see them and unscrew.. Only seen it once though.. For live sockets I prefer them bagged and taped.!

Had one the other day.............."I've loosened the tops to make it easier for you"

I had told him they needed to come off and blocked & taped, right under the wall units too :RpS_cursing:

2013-02-28135727_zps0bded869.jpg

2013-02-28135745_zps3e6c47d5.jpg

Had one the other day.............."I've loosened the tops to make it easier for you"

I had told him they needed to come off and blocked & taped, right under the wall units too :RpS_cursing:

2013-02-28135727_zps0bded869.jpg

2013-02-28135745_zps3e6c47d5.jpg

Wow that looks fuuuuuuuunnnnnn!!!!!!!!

Is the loo roll for the aftermath of all the brown stuff on the wall which smells more like a dirty protest than any building material??

I bead round them then completely over skim them to make nice neat features. On a serious note you not think taking the wires out and fitting junction boxes is a little excessive?

Connector blocks, No mate i know no different its how i was shown. Why would it be excessive if it leaves the job nice and tidy ?

Had them where the are not even fixed to the wall, get told, the brick is too crumbly, can you fix it on with the sand/cement.

I always take fronts off its the proper way to do it, but ive never put them in terminal blocks.... also always clean out boxes after polish!! but I don't on site, I like to cut cables about 10mm from back of box.....
All my work is domestic, and i was always taught to remove sockets and switches, put the wires in connector blocks tape up and coil in the boxes then skim, i still do this religiously and if the sockets are caked in paint i clean up before refitting at the end of a shift... Ive just watched a vid on youtube of a bloke spreading a kitchen i think, and the switches and sockets are covered in finish, not to mention now set in the wall, he even runs his finger in some plaster then round the socket to try and make it neater lol.

Does anyone else on domestic take the switches off ? go round them or bag them up ? or just leave them where they are and skim up to them !!! interested to see what others do, surely taking them off makes for a tidier job.

i just take the face plates off the wall i dnt bag them up or anything, i also never get anything on them either so have never needed to bag them,you boys must be throwing it all over the place:RpS_confused:

Better bagged, safer /cleaner ,takes only a minute, a splash on to a live socket either plaster or water causes untold hassle,we do full room most of the time unless its a big one,easier to hold a bag hailstorm troweling around it and troweling up...have the faith...

I give them the option to get them taken off I wnt touch them I'm not a spark. Not to mention I'm sure DIY electrics is forbidden now

i just take the face plates off the wall i dnt bag them up or anything, i also never get anything on them either so have never needed to bag them,you boys must be throwing it all over the place:RpS_confused:

Jase your ace........................:rolleyes)

i dnt splash water on the wall any water i put on is controled i can honestly say in the ten years ive been doin this i could proberly count on one hand the amount of times ive had to clean a switch/socket plate

If you don't want to remove the socket, it's best to bag and tape: the last thing you want is PVA, plaster or water coming in contact with the live wire. In addition, I wouldn't recommend anyone to pass a metal trowel next to a live wire because the screws securing the wires loosen over time and you could inadvertently electrocute yourself :)

i dnt splash water on the wall any water i put on is controled i can honestly say in the ten years ive been doin this i could proberly count on one hand the amount of times ive had to clean a switch/socket plate

Jase your Ace................:rolleyes)

Spanking with a whip is forbidden and riding horses bareback naked through the streets after daybreak , but un screwing sockets is not up there yet.

Problem ! What do you do when the wires are short in the socket and come out barely an inch past the wall,

I'm with you there airborne!! Socket off, tape wire up individually then took, don't do it everytime but about 90% of the time.
only time I won't is it cuts power off to fridge etc

in the situation that bubbles was in under the cabinets i would have them off but any other time say 3 together on a normal wall with space around then just take out screws take plate off wall and skim

You do know that by law your not allowed to even put a screw driver near an electric socket light fitting or anything that requires an NIC qualified tradesman you remove them and anything happens your looking at a mega fine even jail your not qualified to touch them guys. tell customer to sort it and put in your quote and invoice that you will not be removing or refitting any electric fittings don't and you will leave yourself open up to you!

Status
Not open for further replies.