stud chimney breast

Status
Not open for further replies.

del

got this job of skimming chimney breasts, chippy builds them, then plumber fits gas fire, using fire boards for the outside faces, do you think the inside of the breast should be tacked as well ?, reason being if there is a fire inside breast, at the moment got 7 to do, me and the chippy cant decide what to do for the best ?. what do you reckon boys, cheers del.

i think the flue should be lined... why do they want a silly great waste of space in there room anyway? sounds daft?

or if the flue need to be vertical.. sod the studwork..
build it out of celcon blocks and use 'flue blocks' for the flue..

Not quite sure what your trying to acheive here but what about Metal frames instead of timber studs , iam i on the right line

just thinking on.. if youve got 7 of em then im gonna assume they must have passed some building conrtrol regulation of somesuch e.g maybe theyre flueless gas fires (they have this little catalytic converter in em) in which case you dont have to cut into the breast for a flue in which case you dont have a problem...
and if not i'd be gobsmacked if a gasfire had been passed for fitting to a timber chimney breast with no flue lining...?

the fires are on display in a show room, the customer buys the whole package, fire and false chimney breast, providing they have a outside wall, the flues are a balanced horizontal

then you havent got a problem providing the hole through the breast is sealed by the plumber (not your problem).. a balanced flue takes its air from outside via the outside of the flue (which remains cool) so again, you dont have a problem..
what i would do though is make sure you board the complete breast (dont leave any holes for the flue, let the plumber have that one) and if its double board spec, overlap your joints..

just another thought del..
if theres still even the slightest doubt.. get hold of the company supplying the gas fires..
with every new gas fire there will be a spec saying where you can and cannot install em... it'll give you a spec... if not ring the number on the spec sheet...

cheers guys, could not post earlier, internet went down, anyway spanish plumber sighns all the paper work, its to his spec, (when the ucker turns up) just curious weather he knows what he is doing, to me it seems strange not to tack the inside of the breast, it would make it more bullet proof, praps looking for a problem that dont exist, but will ask at the showroom for more info,. thing is, outside of breast is skimmed, that means fire protection from the room if it court fire, but no protection if inside the breast caught fire,because not tacked inside the breast ??? if you know what i mean, ....... will dig a bit deeper on this........spanish fire regs come to mind, cheers guys :)

Come on Del you should know by now that Spanish plumbers and electricians do what like and take no notice of regs if at all the exist.
Lucius

lucius said:
Come on Del you should know by now that Spanish plumbers and electricians do what like and take no notice of regs if at all the exist.
Lucius
very true mate, just gonna tack the outside faces, and skim as normal, cheers guys

Status
Not open for further replies.