Stripping old plaster

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

gogomollie

Hey guys

I am currently stripping a bedroom in ma house and whilst taking off the old wallpaper alot of the old plaster is coming away to revaeal large sections of the browning/bonding plaster. Is it best to remove the whole plaster so the walls are just whats undrneath or just remove whats peeling off? the walls have never been skimmed before everything is just whats originally been done since the house was built in the 40's.

If the basecoats hollow it's you're choice generally the rule of thumb is take off what you can with you're fingers

remove all the loose plaster including the backing plaster (browning/bonding). If it sounds hollow when you tap it then it's no longer bonded to the bricks of the wall. You might get away with just removing patches that have become loose/de-bonded from the wall. It's essential that the substrate (backing plaster) is stable if you want the wall re-plastered.

If you don't remove the loose/de-bonded plaster and someone re-skims it, then it'll look nice and smooth for a short period of time, eventually it'll just crack and fail.

hope that helps

backing plaster looks fine( except for 2 small patches which just need filling, presumably I can just use multi finish?) its just large sections of the finishing plaster thats peels but am in 2 minds wether to remove the whole lot cos some of it seems solid but then i keep thinking what if that decides to come away in a few years.

i'd leave the patches that are bonded ok. When the wall gets reskimmed it gets a fair wack of pva that permeates the old plaster.

you won't get far filling a large deep area with multi finish. get a bag of hardwall if the background is high suction like brick. build up layers of hardwall so it doesn't slump.

you'll need to rule the backign plaster too, to get it flat. Use a bit of straight wood to get it flat

Best to do the job properly if your stripping back and its old plaster and if you can afford it renew the lot, then you don't have to worry about it. But if it is bonded to the wall, it shouldn't be a problem.

Best to do the job properly if your stripping back and its old plaster and if you can afford it renew the lot, then you don't have to worry about it. But if it is bonded to the wall, it shouldn't be a problem.

defo only bought house fews years ago and never really got to do the bedrooms properly so yeah its defo worth it. luckily enough its only turned out to be 1 wall thats bad so fingers crossed its plain sailing from here.

i'd leave the patches that are bonded ok. When the wall gets reskimmed it gets a fair wack of pva that permeates the old plaster.

you won't get far filling a large deep area with multi finish. get a bag of hardwall if the background is high suction like brick. build up layers of hardwall so it doesn't slump.

Can you pva the backing plaster or does that affect the suction?

plastering is all about suction :RpS_wink:

most people aim to skim backing plaster the same day.

if you can't do that then you can control it with pva or just water.

I was planning pva 50/50 on sat night then pva 4/1 on sunday morning followed by skimming walls but you said pva...should that just be for parts of the walls where the plaster has not peeled?

thinking about it, you'll have different areas with different rates of suction.

how much experience do you have in plastering?

might be worth splashing out on a bonding agent - that would help control all the areas at relatively the same rate. or you could just go for it with what you've described above.

my experience is zero....did a week course just so i can do jobs around the house etc. got no plans at all to change career paths, just wanna use the likes of this site to get advice etc.

the wall is only 4.5m2 so will start that wall first and that should give me enough time to see how well it goes on by the time i get round the full room....suppose its all trial n error for beginners.

can hardwall be used on engineering bricks? or is it too low in suction? took skirting boards off and quite a bit of plaster came off right back to the brick. Its a section of the wall where the chimney breast is so I am assuming its engineering bricks for the strength?

hmmm it's your gaff right, go get some bonding. Worst case scenario is in a year or two you could get some cracks. it's all about the substrate on reskims, if it's not bonded properly or stable you'll get some cracks on your finish.

thought bonding would be better, but just wanted to make sure before i buy, just got to get rid of this hangover and go out and buy some now lol

Status
Not open for further replies.