Straightening out Chimney Breast arch

Members online

DIYDerek

Hi all,

I've taken on a bit of a project to tidy up the chimney breast in my living room - clearing away 90+ years of bodge jobs in the process. Having taken away the mess, the brickwork isn't in great condition.

Any tips on how to make it more presentable? I'm tempted to put some timber inside the opening and plasterboard it (too uneven for dot and dab), though the small arch will present a bit of a challenge. I'm also not sure whether it's worth plasterboarding around the whole breast, leaving a square opening for the fireplace.

I'm not planning on putting a real fire in there any time soon - but I'm keen to put an oak mantel beam up and wall mount a TV. Something like: https://i.pinimg.com/originals/cb/1e/5b/cb1e5b06708c49a12f24b3f0f8ff66a8.jpg

Any tips? Images below:

If yo happy just want a neat recess I’d put a timber frame ceiling to it and board to stop bits of debris. You can dab the interior brick work , doesn’t matter it’s uneven. Just bigger and smaller dabs where necessary to level. Bead/bond/skim etc. Better to get in a pro obvs for a tidy finish

If yo happy just want a neat recess I’d put a timber frame ceiling to it and board to stop bits of debris. You can dab the interior brick work , doesn’t matter it’s uneven. Just bigger and smaller dabs where necessary to level. Bead/bond/skim etc. Better to get in a pro obvs for a tidy finish

Cheers Jess. I thought about the timber frame ceiling - but won't there then be a gap at the front between it and the arch? Or would you board the whole face of the breast as well to cover it?

Hi all,

I've taken on a bit of a project to tidy up the chimney breast in my living room - clearing away 90+ years of bodge jobs in the process. Having taken away the mess, the brickwork isn't in great condition.

Any tips on how to make it more presentable? I'm tempted to put some timber inside the opening and plasterboard it (too uneven for dot and dab), though the small arch will present a bit of a challenge. I'm also not sure whether it's worth plasterboarding around the whole breast, leaving a square opening for the fireplace.

I'm not planning on putting a real fire in there any time soon - but I'm keen to put an oak mantel beam up and wall mount a TV. Something like: https://i.pinimg.com/originals/cb/1e/5b/cb1e5b06708c49a12f24b3f0f8ff66a8.jpg

Any tips? Images below:

Dab over that brick work. Dabbed twice as bad as that on new builds nice thick dabs jobs a good en

Dab over that brick work. Dabbed twice as bad as that on new builds nice thick dabs jobs a good en
Like this head ache
IMG-20200617-WA0005.jpeg
. Check the bay
IMG-20200617-WA0005.jpeg

Cheers Jess. I thought about the timber frame ceiling - but won't there then be a gap at the front between it and the arch? Or would you board the whole face of the breast as well to cover it?

Make a cardboard template of the top and get some 2mms plate cut to size also a piece of 40mms angle iron for across the back for it to sit on. Drill and fix angle iron to back of flue then drill 2mm plate and fix to angle iron and bottom of lintels at front. This way if you do go for a log burner later, you will already have a register plate that just needs a hole cut for the flue pipe.
Also be wary of the dimensions of the piece of oak you get for the mantle cos if you go too big they can look shocking if t

What's with all them rips dabbed on the bay ??
Nightmare job . Bays flush with blocks but they want s cills on. They sacked brickie on ground floor . Well first 2 brickies. 1 was meant to knock part of house down but f**k*d.it.up. so had to knock.entire house down and build a new en. Brick no2 didnt put a damp course in

Nightmare job . Bays flush with blocks but they want s cills on. They sacked brickie on ground floor . Well first 2 brickies. 1 was meant to knock part of house down but f**k*d.it.up. so had to knock.entire house down and build a new en. Brick no2 didnt put a damp course in
Ha ha Yorkshire puddings

They know how to choose s**t tradesman

Make a cardboard template of the top and get some 2mms plate cut to size also a piece of 40mms angle iron for across the back for it to sit on. Drill and fix angle iron to back of flue then drill 2mm plate and fix to angle iron and bottom of lintels at front. This way if you do go for a log burner later, you will already have a register plate that just needs a hole cut for the flue pipe.
Also be wary of the dimensions of the piece of oak you get for the mantle cos if you go too big they can look shocking if t

Its @John j 1 he aint reading all that & 2 hes just guna use expanding foam anyway

Just board over the wood on the face and bond where necessary. Allow for thickness of board.