Straight edge over scratch coat?

Members online

Cornelius

standard two coat sand cement render today and the blockwork was woeful so me and mate decided to get the Darby over the scratch to make life easier when topping, mate suggested we could always rule off the scratch in the future which I agreed it wouldn’t be a bad idea, anyone else rule off the scratch coat or are we just talking b*ll***s?

standard two coat sand cement render today and the blockwork was woeful so me and mate decided to get the Darby over the scratch to make life easier when topping, mate suggested we could always rule off the scratch in the future which I agreed it wouldn’t be a bad idea, anyone else rule off the scratch coat or are we just talking b*ll***s?
20171031_093833.jpg

I always give the scratch a quick rule mate. For the time it takes (minutes) it definitely gives you a nicer time and more enjoyable when top coating. Couple of pals of mine joined me on a job once and see me do it, first they was taking the piss saying I was fussing and now they do it on every job and swear by it! Lol.

You love that thing! One question why has it got a walking stick attached to it?
It’s about control and leverage. You can put this thing in places you can’t with a rule or derby. If you had one go of it you’d buy one I’ve no doubt.

Talk b*ll***s or rule off your scratch?
Ha ha , I scratch coat one section on this job I’m on now at the back , brick work similar to you say all over , tbh I thought it would also save time dry faster but didn’t make no difference to time , down sideway of house ended up doin 3 coats just to kinda of get it flattish