Still problems with multi and board??!!

Members online

Jsmith1984

The last few times I've done any plastering, I've had serious issues with timings - going off a lot quicker, needing alot of water to finish. Has plaster just changed? Am I the only one having issues??
I should mention its not my sole trade, I'm joinery based but started with plastering years back , I always manage to get the finish, but am finding it a lot bloody harder with awful drag and the quicker setting times!! Any advice would be much appreciated!

Im afraid you won't get a clear cut answer to any related plastering questions on this forum,yes it is a plastering forum and diy and trade alike will ask a question to do with plastering or rendering you may get a small part of an answer to your question but the rest is abuse im afraid you get use to it

FB9E31CC-E17E-4E98-895D-0BA1DF80E068.jpeg

Im afraid you won't get a clear cut answer to any related plastering questions on this forum,yes it is a plastering forum and diy and trade alike will ask a question to do with plastering or rendering you may get a small part of an answer to your question but the rest is abuse im afraid you get use to it
Shut up Stewie! Now get back to bed.

Water temperature for mix defiantly effects setting so tepid water helps. Surface temperatures you can't do much about. If board is pulling then pva it

Ha wow, cheers for the excellent replies lads, so just to confirm I should use wood to plaster the walls and get a right handed trowel? I'll try standing on one leg, close my eyes and just hope for the best next time.
I'll struggle on then...

Ha wow, cheers for the excellent replies lads, so just to confirm I should use wood to plaster the walls and get a right handed trowel? I'll try standing on one leg, close my eyes and just hope for the best next time.
I'll struggle on then...
Just one eye needs to be closed. Keeps you balanced and your doing the final cross trowel

I've had a few issues lately although generally I think it's the time of year...I have found the multi very greasy and alot harder to get a good finish...it drags alot as well.

@BritishGypsum have you changed multi composition in anyway in the last 15 years?
No update on this @BritishGypsum I'm wondering if they changed the composition as cutting costs by changing the bags went down like a lead ballon. One thing I have noticed is that my plastering buckets don't last as long as they used to. I used to be able to keep a bucket going for 3-4 years but now I'm lucky to keep one going for 6 months as they get caked with greasy multi on the sides.

The last few times I've done any plastering, I've had serious issues with timings - going off a lot quicker, needing alot of water to finish. Has plaster just changed? Am I the only one having issues??
I should mention its not my sole trade, I'm joinery based but started with plastering years back , I always manage to get the finish, but am finding it a lot bloody harder with awful drag and the quicker setting times!! Any advice would be much appreciated!
Multi finish has always been shite, but it's a lot worse now a lot of people think that the plaster is half normal multi and half the non pva stuff because they couldn't shift it. Use Board or if you do use Multi your timings have to be bang on for troweling up,don't play with it.

Multi finish has always been shite, but it's a lot worse now a lot of people think that the plaster is half normal multi and half the non pva stuff because they couldn't shift it. Use Board or if you do use Multi your timings have to be bang on for troweling up,don't play with it.
Lol. makes me laugh my swede off when muppets like yourself struggle to trowel up thistle, yeah it’s changed over the years but still a easy product to finish. Lol

Lol. makes me laugh my swede off when muppets like yourself struggle to trowel up thistle, yeah it’s changed over the years but still a easy product to finish. Lol
f**k**g loving multi at min. Use a touch of water earlier then I used to and it comes up lovely

f**k**g loving multi at min. Use a touch of water earlier then I used to and it comes up lovely
I’ve never hated it really. prefer it to board purely cause it don’t fire off in the bucket as quick for bigger lay ons.

I’ve never hated it really. prefer it to board purely cause it don’t fire off in the bucket as quick for bigger lay ons.
I dragged table ou van other day first tim for ages . Why I work out bucket I dont know. But christ first mix pulled in fast. Think table was a touch dry still

Ive noticed since lockdown ive needed to use a few splashes of water i never used to use water when finishing only water on trowel. Definitely its dragging more since lockdown. As for drying the recent sets ive been putting down last 2 weeks have been taking 3 hours to finish!!!!! Board finish this is I rarely use multi

All I’ve noticed is my finishing was s**t till I stop using my s*p*r*lex can’t say I’ve noticed much else just the time of year init

Today was first day of multi actually setting off ok, as it was 11 degrees. Its winter timing which is s**t, gauges taking up to 3 hours on board etc. I just flat it down a leave it for ages till it goes really tacky. Marshall Town pretty much all the way till the end. Then flex.

Today was first day of multi actually setting off ok, as it was 11 degrees. Its winter timing which is s**t, gauges taking up to 3 hours on board etc. I just flat it down a leave it for ages till it goes really tacky. Marshall Town pretty much all the way till the end. Then flex.
I’ve f**k*d my flex of just more shite to lug around and my finish has just been getting worse and worse back to ss mt and no problems like u said it’s the time of year with the plaster