stick to the foam

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

brimplas1

lesson learned... after 2 years with a foam backed plazi flex i needed to purchase a new one because it had become that worn through use and rubbing nicks out with wet and dry... thought i would try the foam less ones as the foam ones always look like its coming un glued ( even though it hasnt )... big mistake ......... its more bloody ridged than my super flex........ it will be on ebay next weekend...

Waste of time the foam ones. I think 14" is the biggest that doesn't use foam. Much better. Not that I use a plastic mind :-/

My foam one started juddering & peeling the skim, was then advised to buy the none foam one, not as good as the one made from a bucket at home 20 years ago!!

If I got on it too sharp, what about the lads that talk about using it for last two trowels?

If I got on it too sharp, what about the lads that talk about using it for last two trowels?
Only just got one of these as I'm boring and old fashioned preferring to lay on, flatten when it's set more & repeat with 2nd coat using carbon trowel. But I was under the impression the 'claim' was u could get on the gear earlier? I had a play around on Friday with this, Nela & speedskim using them as I believe they're meant to be used and found on super closer inspection there was a very faint sign of tearing prob on the thinnest part of the wall. I seemed to be the only one who cud see it but then again I'm prob the only one who was that bothered.
I'm guessing you maybe need to close or open the blade a bit more than usual on these flexi trowels.
Someone with more experience with them may know.

I needed it more open, I was aware of that but you can't get it more open coming away from the angle which was where it was peeling the second coat off, binned it now, it needs a wider blade IMO.

The only thing you could adjust is knocking the adjacent wall down so you have room for the handle! Lol

Saw a bloke on site today using one. he seemed to have it flatter but his finish had scuffs all over it.
Like @BigK I was close to chucking mine but will prob give it another go if I get time. I'm definitely going to try the Nela again the way I think it's meant to be used but can't help think that unless it's perfectly boarded work you just follow the bumps with these flexi trowels.

Saw a bloke on site today using one. he seemed to have it flatter but his finish had scuffs all over it.
Like @BigK I was close to chucking mine but will prob give it another go if I get time. I'm definitely going to try the Nela again the way I think it's meant to be used but can't help think that unless it's perfectly boarded work you just follow the bumps with these flexi trowels.

It's too late to be even trying to get a wall or ceiling any flatter or straighter at the point where you should be starting to use your s*p*r*lex.

It's too late to be even trying to get a wall or ceiling any flatter or straighter at the point where you should be starting to use your s*p*r*lex.
I agree but I've seen people flattening in with it though. Also the Nela promo video seems to suggest you do everything but lay on with it & in watching the video of the bloke using it the gear looks well soft.
But like you say if its flexible you want the wall as flat as it can be by the time you use it.

I haven't a notion how anyone could even try to lay in with it, I tried it for the craic and put it away after one trowel full.
Any links to the Nela promo?

I haven't a notion how anyone could even try to lay in with it, I tried it for the craic and put it away after one trowel full.
Any links to the Nela promo?

To be fair not sure how official it is.
The guy on site was laying on with a s*p*r*lex, flattening with a plazi & final troweled with a steel! How do you make sense of that.
My preference is 14" carbon steel trowel start to finish.

Status
Not open for further replies.