Stick render boards

Members online

Mbk04

Hi guys, anyone recommend an extermal adhesive to stick render boards to painted concrete? Also does anyone use aqua boards?

i wouldnt dab and fix renderboards direct to masonary.. are we talking internal or external here?

internal id use like a marmox board.. external why wont you just render only it?

i wouldnt dab and fix renderboards direct to masonary.. are we talking internal or external here?

internal id use like a marmox board.. external why wont you just render only it?
Its external... Reason i dont dub out is time really.. Its up to 4 inches out in places

Will research this... Thanks

Hello buddy

There are some great and valuable advice above.... big question is why not just render the wall directly...?

I am the Knauf Aquapanel Technical Manager in the UK, ping me a mail explaining what it is you are looking at doing...

It is not good practice to bond only Aquapanel Boards to masonry, too heavy and not a great long term method....

If the masonry is flat, you could use an EWI adhesive to position, then drill through board and adhesive into the masonry and rawl plug and screw in similar pattern to fixing boards to Batten’s.

Better to batten, top hat or used a wall lining System (external grade if outdoor application)

Feel free to contact me for more help if needed

NOTE - Never use gypsum adhesive!! The Aquapanel Boards will suck the moisture out the gypsum product before the cure fully happens... also,in high humidity or wet areas, the gypsum adhesive may soften over time...
(Yes Yes.... I know it gets done... but best to screw fix to sub-straight )
Use an EWI adhesive externally, or tile adhesive internally, and screw fix through, if you have to bond Aquapanel Boards

Good luck

Richard Lord
Knauf
rlord@knauf.co.uk
07918 766577

Hello buddy

There are some great and valuable advice above.... big question is why not just render the wall directly...?

I am the Knauf Aquapanel Technical Manager in the UK, ping me a mail explaining what it is you are looking at doing...

It is not good practice to bond only Aquapanel Boards to masonry, too heavy and not a great long term method....

If the masonry is flat, you could use an EWI adhesive to position, then drill through board and adhesive into the masonry and rawl plug and screw in similar pattern to fixing boards to Batten’s.

Better to batten, top hat or used a wall lining System (external grade if outdoor application)

NOTE - Never use gypsum adhesive!! The Aquapanel Boards will suck the moisture out the gypsum product before the cure fully happens... also,in high humidity or wet areas, the gypsum adhesive may soften over time...
Use an EWI adhesive externally, or tile adhesive internally, and screw fix through, if you have to bond Aquapanel Boards

Good luck

Richard Lord
Knauf
rlord@knauf.co.uk
07918 766577
good advice, if you let the adhesive go off and then fix through the board mechanically you should get a first class job.

Hello buddy

Good luck

Richard Lord
Knauf
rlord@knauf.co.uk
07918 766577
hey Mr knauf
tech, what do you think about an adhesive tape to fit beads to your plasterboards?

Hello buddy

Good luck

Richard Lord
Knauf
rlord@knauf.co.uk
07918 766577
Great reply and info, the only reason i dont render it flat is that i am trying to avoid so many visits, the shuttering must have failed and the wall is out bybup to 100m at its worst
I have also been advised to look into ewi adhesive.. And i was always planning on using a mechanical fix once positioned

I was addressing Mr knauf not Mr south!
88B0A982-02BD-44EB-AD11-4041B9EC1039.gif

hey Mr knaufView attachment 37393 tech, what do you think about an adhesive tape to fit beads to your plasterboards?

Hi bud

I’m not a spread, or really get involved with drywall or gypsum plaster side of the business... I look after Aquapanel Exterior...
I’m a Mechanical Engineer by training, and have sold adhesives and tapes in the past...

TBH - This looks like a practical, good idea and method though...

Would have to assume that the boards need to be flat and plumb, the tape will not allow for any aligning or dubbing out of the beads.... have to be fitted flat to the boards to get a full bond

Seem to think Knauf have looked at some of these sorts of beads, with the Ready Mixed Plasters only needing 2 / 3 mm thickness... @Danny saw some of them a few years back when he visited Knauf HQ playing with and trialing some Knauf products (not sure what happened to them, or if they were launched? I’ll ask next time I go in....)

Have you tried them? What do you think?

Great reply and info, the only reason i dont render it flat is that i am trying to avoid so many visits, the shuttering must have failed and the wall is out bybup to 100m at its worst
I have also been advised to look into ewi adhesive.. And i was always planning on using a mechanical fix once positioned

Hi there

I’ve seen ICF built walls fail and blow, then have some spots where the render should be flush and then 100 to 150mm voids to made a flat finish... not fun, and not really what the render is for (to make good failed sub-structures)

You need to decide where you want your flat finished Façade to be (thinking about the door, window, facia and corner lines / returns, these may all look different and very strange), then choose a method that creates the flat and secure base to take the render.....

Sounds like some fun alignment works... get the wall guys back to explain and offer remedial works, render can only be so thick, and is not designed to flatten and align poor sub- structures, it is supposed to be thin, weatherproofing and decorative! (not aligning...)

Good luck

Richard

Hi bud

I’m not a spread, or really get involved with drywall or gypsum plaster side of the business... I look after Aquapanel Exterior...
I’m a Mechanical Engineer by training, and have sold adhesives and tapes in the past...

TBH - This looks like a practical, good idea and method though...

Would have to assume that the boards need to be flat and plumb, the tape will not allow for any aligning or dubbing out of the beads.... have to be fitted flat to the boards to get a full bond

Seem to think Knauf have looked at some of these sorts of beads, with the Ready Mixed Plasters only needing 2 / 3 mm thickness... @Danny saw some of them a few years back when he visited Knauf HQ playing with and trialing some Knauf products (not sure what happened to them, or if they were launched? I’ll ask next time I go in....)

Have you tried them? What do you think?
Thanks for taking the time to have a look. check out my thread "new system for fixing beads" Knauf do not have anything similar, I would be happy to demonstrate the tape to your tech guys.
You may have to be quick to beat British Gypsum to it!