Steel lintel prep for S&C render

Members online

Annker

Builder here, I've a job on the go where part of the building has floating corner window.
To carry the blockwork over this window the engineer has designed a lintel which is a RSJ with a 300mm flat plate welded on the bottom flange. It will be somewhat similar to a catnic lintel in cross-section.

Internally boarding & skimming will be a standard detail so I don't need to ask the fabricators prepare the steel in any way for the plastering.
Externally blockwork will cover the face of the lintel, however the head of the window reveal will have render applied over the underside steel flat plate.
So basically I'm just wondering if there is anything I should have welded/fixed to act as a key for the rendered head reveal?
The lintel will be hot dipped galvanised in the fabricators so ideally I don't want to drill/shoot fixing into on the lintel onsite and risk rust staining bleeding through the render in time.

I'm a couple of months away from have a plasterer onsite hence asking here.
Appreciate your thoughts.

Builder here, I've a job on the go where part of the building has floating corner window.
To carry the blockwork over this window the engineer has designed a lintel which is a RSJ with a 300mm flat plate welded on the bottom flange. It will be somewhat similar to a catnic lintel in cross-section.

Internally boarding & skimming will be a standard detail so I don't need to ask the fabricators prepare the steel in any way for the plastering.
Externally blockwork will cover the face of the lintel, however the head of the window reveal will have render applied over the underside steel flat plate.
So basically I'm just wondering if there is anything I should have welded/fixed to act as a key for the rendered head reveal?
The lintel will be hot dipped galvanised in the fabricators so ideally I don't want to drill/shoot fixing into on the lintel onsite and risk rust staining bleeding through the render in time.

Could you clad it with wood instead as a finish

Fix render carrier board with self tappers and apply high polymer base coat

Fix render carrier board with self tappers and apply high polymer base coat
They self tap straight through rsj no problem
Screenshot_20191216_224757_com.android.chrome.jpg

What render system

Thanks for all the replies folks, appreciated.

The render will be sand and cement,
From reading your replies I think self tapping on render carrier board as a sub-base will be best job in this instance.
I find rib lath great for large areas but getting it right around junctions always a little tricky. A rip of render board will be easy put on.

I'll probably fix it on then back the self tappers out and prime the screw holes with Hammerite or such.
It would be a shame to risk rust bleeding through the render after having the lintel galvanising!

I’ve used Sticks Like s**t with G tec render board. Double meshed with a poly modded base to cover it.

Reactions: Djr
That will look shite in s&c over head
@ no guarantees
Why don’t you put stone head over that that steel the underside will/or never should see any s&c

Your welcome

That will look shite in s&c over head
@ no guarantees
Why don’t you put stone head over that that steel the underside will/or never should see any s&c

Your welcome
Not sure if you understood me correctly but sand & cement rendered window reveals on a sand & cement rendered house is standard design.

Not sure if you understood me correctly but sand & cement rendered window reveals on a sand & cement rendered house is standard design.

Roger that
Still super neat finish with stone heads over openings no drip beads ect

Your welcome