Statistics for declining trades in the UK!

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
you are 100% right there they will say you can plaster in two weeks take the money and say thats you a plasterer well done. and they have a head full a shite. think they are tradesmen

A joke that only works in yorkshire.
A man goes into the vet because his cats ill. The vet says...'is it a tom?' And the man replies ' No, I've got it here in t'basket'.

the old 1 are the best - :RpS_laugh: same as the plasterers :RpS_thumbup: 49+ club

you are 100% right there they will say you can plaster in two weeks take the money and say thats you a plasterer well done. and they have a head full a shite. think they are tradesmen

If you have a look at the 'training courses' offered for any of the trades they give the same impression. You know the bullsh1t, 'train with us for a couple of weeks and you'll be fully qualified. You'll be able to go straight out and earn £40k a year just like the joker in the photo with the new van and shiny tools.'

It's only people in the trades who can see through the spin. If you don't know any better and have someone telling you for a couple of straight weeks that you're great and a natural, then give you C&G certificates to prove how great you are, no wonder they start to believe it.

It's one of those "Don't hate the player, hate the game." situations as far as I can see.

Unless you work for a company ( scaffolding ) you cant get on a training course... good idea ??

Sounds a good idea Cassie, but isn't that because scaffolding can be dangerous if improperly erected, whereas plaster/render is never gonna kill anyone and therefore a 'standard' isn't necessary from a safety point.
As an industry we do need to educate the public as to what is and what isn't an acceptable standard. Site-workers (I'm guessing) will be quickly found out with substandard work and are unlikely to be paid, so then they are unleashed onto an unwitting public to practice.........

How do we go about it? Registration? Licensing? I don't like these kind of things because as soon as you involve government in any shape or form it will costs us money, although it may be a price worth paying.

I would suggest tougher governance over the training providers, as surely it isn't beneficial to have them being paid by the number of 'newly qualified' they turn out (as is the case in some places I hear) it should be based on ability.

Friend of mine left civy street and four months and 11k later is gas safe regisrered. Bet he will be doing great in 12 months if he can last that long

Part of the problem is that we live in a consumer lead society. Almost every advert you see will be based on how much you get and how little it costs. No wonder then that all these years of brain washing mean that a large part of the general public want an extension built/wall plastered/kitchen fitted or whatever for as little as possible. They make the assumption that no matter what they pay the finish will be like the ones in the brochure or that two doors up had done last year.

main problem nowadays is no one ever fails a course, unless they dont attend.. its too easy.. courses are way too short, i mean 5/10 days plastering course, will only teach you to patch...

No one has EVER asked to see my C and G... theres no marshalling of tradesmen.. think in germany its different ? were qouting jobs against 5 day wonders who roll up in a printed work top and a new sign wrote van the customer has no idea... then they fuk the job up, but the customer has already paid and lives with it, doing real plasterers out of work, by the way their prices are r******d... tell you who i have issues with.. firemen.. stick to putting wheelie bin fires out and stop working for peanuts on the side...

Last bathroom we fitted a fireman had beaten us to the plastering . We went and tiled and fitted suite. Skimming was like sandpaper with scars everywhere

thats what happens.. thing with firemen is..why take their job if its crap.. then their out undercutting us and generally doing a **** job, i have no sympathy when they moan and strike, they dont put too many towering infernos out anyway...

Last bathroom we fitted a fireman had beaten us to the plastering . We went and tiled and fitted suite. Skimming was like sandpaper with scars everywhere

Hahaha theres a fireman doing the same near me ... absolute ****** he is as well .... works **** yet he thinks he knows what he's doing ... how ive laughed at some of his jobs ... funny thing is he walks round like 10 men ....I just laugh at him

Status
Not open for further replies.