Starting out

Centurion

Hi everyone

I've just started out in plastering, (6 months). Practiced on my house and covered a lot of bases/situation. I also had a go at render and did my first paid job for a friend a few weeks ago.

Looking at joining a crew, but have been advised to get my quals sorted.

Does anyone recommend a quality company that works to a recognised qualification in a decent amount of time?

I cant afford to be doing 12 week long courses, short and sweet is my only option.

Hi everyone

I've just started out in plastering, (6 months). Practiced on my house and covered a lot of bases/situation. I also had a go at render and did my first paid job for a friend a few weeks ago.

Does anyone recommend a quality company that works to a recognised qualification in a decent amount of time?

I cant afford to be doing 12 week long courses, short and sweet is my only option.
Thought someone said on here before evening coarse are available in plastering! Not sure if that's right or it's a recognised qualification probably nvq not worth paper it's written on.

Some of the best spreads I've come across never had a qualification to there name just try and get in with a gang

Some of the best spreads I've come across never had a qualification to there name just try and get in with a gang
True actually its nice to have the paper just incase you want to go work Australia or sommat but yeah very much about someone having patience to teach you properly! I certainly couldn't teach someone to busy trying to get finished and get the fook outta there!

Famous last words, extract from Bradford 5 day course promo (after which "you may decide to go on to further training or set up for the domestic market." unquote!)
"you will need steel toe capped boots and throw away clothes (after the course, not during) as you will mostly likely get messy."

Hi everyone

You'll struggle to get in a squad with 6 months under your belt there's no room for passengers when you're on a price.

courser.jpg

Hi everyone

There’s nothing you can learn “short and sweet” about the plastering game.

There are plasterers working without any qualifications doing good work and also bad work, There are also plasterers working with qualifications doing good work and also bad work.
But when every I hear someone talking about a plasterer who has done a good job if he is not qualified they got to say these words, ' he is a good plasterer but he not really qualified'.
When you take your car or van to be repaired if the bloke fixing it is not qualified you expect to get it done cheaper.
Getting qualifications if you can do the work is not too difficult to do.

There are plasterers working without any qualifications doing good work and also bad work, There are also plasterers working with qualifications doing good work and also bad work.
But when every I hear someone talking about a plasterer who has done a good job if he is not qualified they got to say these words, ' he is a good plasterer but he not really qualified'.
When you take your car or van to be repaired if the bloke fixing it is not qualified you expect to get it done cheaper.
after 57 year at it I have just started advertising in local paper lol

Papers guarantee you've stuck at it and have passed through a period of training.
It doesn't mean that you can't do the same on site, its near impossible now.
Used to get ex plasterers labourers who went out on their own, no papers but plenty real world experience.

Hi everyone

it cost more than 12 weeks
to show someone how brutal the game is

your setting your hopes far too high

6 months wouldn't build up your strength unfortunately

it cost more than 12 weeks
to show someone how brutal the game is

your setting your hopes far too high

6 months wouldn't build up your strength unfortunately
What if he was prepared to go on a ten day intensive Stella drinking binge to get a good start

True actually its nice to have the paper just incase you want to go work Australia or sommat but yeah very much about someone having patience to teach you properly! I certainly couldn't teach someone to busy trying to get finished and get the fook outta there!
To true mate I went through the apprenticeship when I was 17 got all my qualifications, spent first 3 months at college learning the basics of floating skimming coving boarding etc then after that straight in with a gang and college was once a week, I learnt and picked up more on site than at college this game is to hands on to learn in a little room u get a college these days and paperwork was b*ll***s answering questions on how to dab how far should dabs be spaced and all that s**t,

Hi everyone

Might as well get your money spent on a blow job. Short and sweet.

It is not enough alone to have either quals or time spent with a mentor
You need certain qualities as a person
ie. Patience diligence humility strength resilience grafter etc

To true mate I went through the apprenticeship when I was 17 got all my qualifications, spent first 3 months at college learning the basics of floating skimming coving boarding etc then after that straight in with a gang and college was once a week, I learnt and picked up more on site than at college this game is to hands on to learn in a little room u get a college these days and paperwork was b*ll***s answering questions on how to dab how far should dabs be spaced and all that s**t,
Most important thing mate, put your dabs too far apart and not fill perimeters is an easy mistake to make for an uneducated spread.

This you?
I'll be honest with you, I've never seen a finished wall look like that.
Why have you blended such a small section of wall?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210522_163925.jpg
    Screenshot_20210522_163925.jpg
    378.1 KB · Views: 256
  • Screenshot_20210522_163939.jpg
    Screenshot_20210522_163939.jpg
    279.5 KB · Views: 257