Starting Out

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

parker26

Hi All,

I know this is probably the same old question but.............

I’m just starting out in plastering, After looking at all the training courses about and talking to some friends that our self employed plasterers I think it would be best to tag along with a friend and get him to teach me rather than paying for a course.

I’m just unsure as to what happens next? I have bills to pay so just I can’t just be a labourer or go to college. I’m thinking trying to get some weekend work (working for myself) and then go from there?

I would love to get a job with a company but after looking about it seems you need a NVQ level 2 in plastering to get a job but to get an nvq you need to be a self employed or employed plasterer?

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

I’ve been Dave and you’ve been a great audience....

How can you get weekend work dave if your not a plasterer, you'll either have to stay with a friend for a year or two. leave Any sooner and personally I think your asking for trouble, or go on one of those dreaded trade ruining courses

you dont just pick a trowel up and magically plaster a wall,
you got to learn,and as said how you going get weekend work in peoples houses.
so your saying your going to learn in peoples houses.

CHANCER ALERT

Stick to your one-liners Dave.once you've mastered a wall you could say didn't he do well .try this one pal MINGE BAG PAY FOR COURSE .good game good game nice to see you nice not a lot etc etc

ha ha what a funny lot you are on ere. I’ve been plastering on and off for a while with a friend and trying to learn it’s just now that I want to get down and really try to get some more training and possibly look to work for myself.

It was just a question looking for abit of advice from someone who might have been in the same situation before.

Bagrat ? More like bag head. Guess you paid to do a course then soft lad ?

Well - if you'd said in your first post that you'd done a bit instead of "I'm just starting out in plastering"..................

Just a bit of banter kidder.don't be touchy .rather than picking tips of mates just get yourself on a course .once you've completed your course then practice on yer house.

Now we’re getting somewhere... I spoke to some people in the plastering game who say it’s good to do a course but the guy im staring working with tells me it not worth wasting the money as he could show me what they could for free?

So bagrat you think it’s good to get the course done then practise all the chance I get?

Hello Parker,

Welcome to the forum, as you can tell there is a lot of banter but read between that and you will pick up some gems :)

In an ideal world its a great idea to find a company and work for them for a few years and learn..... I did it that way to a point!

However, I was working with a gang who could not spend the time teaching me... so I did a course... gave me the knowledge to get by and understand a little more about why we were doing things and they show you a technique that works.... some centers say you can learn to plaster in a week or 2... that is not true.... after 2 weeks you make a brilliant labourer..... but in the real world things are not like they are in a training center.....

At the moment plastering is at the lowest for money it has every been (from my history) so you are going to struggle to get work and you will be trying to compete with time served plasterers who have a reputation.... (this is why members get upset with these posts) Most newbies go in cheap and this is where the trade gets screwed...

So if I was you I would do weekends with your mate, if you have the spare cash pay for a course, then skim your house and your mums and a few friends etc then maybe you will be allowed to do during the week with your mate....

Plastering is a skill a craft that can only be learnt over time and even people who pick it up quickly need to learn lots of other things that go hand in hand with the trade.

Plastering for a lot of members on here is a way of life, kinder like a passion and I think they have PVA for blood...lol

Just my thoughts and opinions :)

When I first started Parker 26 i would of done anyones house for nothing.man utd fans me NANs even everton fans houses.if you see a board skim it .don't listen to blokes your working with they all tell you the same ah forget it lad.the bloke I was working with told me you'll never be a plasterer as long as I've got a hole in me arse.how true he died 16 years ago that's when I decided to go to spread school and I still love it to this day.

BAgrat did u see the free ads papers in Liverpool this week. 10 ads for spreads bleeding joke :RpS_crying:

dont listen to any of above parker its a piece of piss thats why everyone,s doing it site work is your best bet because once you done a unit they come in with halogen lights shining them up and down at every conceivable angle and let some (usually african ) taper cover 50% in ames so you can leave it s**t anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.